+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    682
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked
    379
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can also buy bulk lots of kids clothes on ebay and gumtree. We just for 50 pieces for $20. So much cheaper than paying for each time individually.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wally90 For This Useful Post:

    VicPark  (12-04-2014)

  3. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Newcastle, NSW
    Posts
    6,648
    Thanks
    99
    Thanked
    862
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every month or so instead of doing a weekly shop we challenge ourselves to eat from what we already have on hand with the exception of fresh bread & milk.
    Saves money & waste.

    We have solar panels so our energy is cheapest while the sun is up so i often cook dinner early in the afternoon.

    I unplug the clothes dryer so i have to think do i really need to use it if i happen to chuck stuff in it.

    All regular payments, elec, phone, school fees, kids activities i divide into a weekly amount and pay in weekly installments so i dont get lumped with a big bill to pay.

  4. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanks
    2,897
    Thanked
    3,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We play power games here too. I'm on an off peak plan so use the washing machine and dishwasher at 2am. Most washing machines now have a delay you can set, and I bought a timer power point for the dishwasher.

    I have solar power but we sell it to the grid at a higher price than we buy it back. So that's why I still do the 2am thing. Weekends are usually all off peak, but because of the solar panels I wait for the sun to go down.

    I never use a clothes drier.

    I buy clothes in the clearance section at the end of the season for next year.

    I buy my DDs bigger clothes that will last them a while. Yes they are a bit loose but my DDs grow incredibly fast I learned to buy stuff that fits them now. I have a giant 2yo and I buy her size 5-7 t shirts. The 5s fit her, the 7 is loose and I will get another year out of.

    I have weet bix a lot for dinner but that's more about laziness than saving money! Only plan to cook 4 nights a week, the other 3 is scavenging.

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,293
    Thanks
    319
    Thanked
    305
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    We play power games here too. I'm on an off peak plan so use the washing machine and dishwasher at 2am. Most washing machines now have a delay you can set, and I bought a timer power point for the dishwasher.

    I have solar power but we sell it to the grid at a higher price than we buy it back. So that's why I still do the 2am thing. Weekends are usually all off peak, but because of the solar panels I wait for the sun to go down.

    I never use a clothes drier.

    I buy clothes in the clearance section at the end of the season for next year.

    I buy my DDs bigger clothes that will last them a while. Yes they are a bit loose but my DDs grow incredibly fast I learned to buy stuff that fits them now. I have a giant 2yo and I buy her size 5-7 t shirts. The 5s fit her, the 7 is loose and I will get another year out of.

    I have weet bix a lot for dinner but that's more about laziness than saving money! Only plan to cook 4 nights a week, the other 3 is scavenging.
    my 2yo dd is also a giant and her size 4 tops are a little on the short side... should probably start buying her size 5...

  6. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanks
    2,897
    Thanked
    3,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jussi View Post
    my 2yo dd is also a giant and her size 4 tops are a little on the short side... should probably start buying her size 5...

    It's ridiculous how little difference there is in the sizing.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

    grooviechic35  (13-04-2014)

  8. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    403
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked
    167
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    It's ridiculous how little difference there is in the sizing.
    Mm i don't think so my kids always seem to not fit certain sizes.... Shirt length too short but fits everywhere else or good length but need a massive size.
    If ur kids growth spurt a lot it does suck

  9. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,111
    Thanks
    2,897
    Thanked
    3,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grooviechic35 View Post
    Mm i don't think so my kids always seem to not fit certain sizes.... Shirt length too short but fits everywhere else or good length but need a massive size.
    If ur kids growth spurt a lot it does suck

    I have a 20kg 2yo and a 9kg 4mo. Growth spurts don't stop here!

  10. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    795
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    64
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well I did my shopping at markets and Aldi today, had a bit of savings!! Have told hubby that nxt week we will work out what meat we want and buy it in bulk so for the month or fortnight! We have a deep freezer so we have plenty of room! I am going to try do some slow cooker meals in bulk and freeze them too!!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to muzzy For This Useful Post:

    IvyRain  (13-04-2014)

  12. #39
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    897
    Thanks
    714
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't remember if I've asked this on one of these toe treads before, but do you find a deep freeze adds much to your power bill?
    I'd LOVE to get one as I like to bulk cook and our little freezer fills up too quickly, but DH thinks it would add SO much to our power bill. Like an extra $100 per quarter. He won't back down on it! Lol m

  13. #40
    Mod-RaryGirl's Avatar
    Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In paradise
    Posts
    20,311
    Thanks
    1,079
    Thanked
    3,276
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area!
    I've moved out of the nappy section to the Family Finances section, hopefully you will receive more replies in this section.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Money saving tips
    By our4boys in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 15-01-2014, 13:50
  2. Mum saving money for 4 month old future cosmetic surgery.
    By cassieh in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 30-09-2013, 22:02
  3. Saving money tips.
    By IndigoJ in forum General Chat
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 13-08-2013, 08:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Einsteinz Music
Make music at Einsteinz Music in age-appropriate class in Sydney's Inner West, Eastern Suburbs or North Shore. For ages 6 mths - 4 yrs. All music is live! Christmas Gift certificates available for full term or casual classes. Call 0431 338 143
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
GymbaROO
GymbaROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available Australia-wide. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!