+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    The only problem with this is that the majority of pet medication doesn't have a human equivalent made in the same strengthes. And because you don't get the pbs discount it isn't as cheap as what you would pay for yourself.
    You do need to check with your chemist first of course. And I wouldn't bother with short term meds like antibiotics. But my dog's anxiety meds went from $60/month from the vet to $12/month at the chemist. Our old dog's eye ointment we saved over $100/bottle at the compound chemist. I'm an ex-vet nurse, and the markups my old practice would put on drugs were crazy, some were more than a 400% markup! So it's always worth checking :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Shop at Aldi. :-)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Subbing. We're on one income atm and soon to be no income if dh cant find a new job soon.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Start writing everything down that you spend. I am definitely spending less since doing this. The government have a free app and website for budgeting and it is excellent.
    weused to be very silly with money but slowly we are getting better. My DP likes meat so I have had to find ways to make it go further like stir fries, mince dishes and chicken mince tacos rather than have steak or a whole chicken breast each.

ebay is great. I have sold heaps on there and use the money to buy my clothes and gifts if things are tight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing.... Going from two incomes to one is a little tight lol
    There are some awesome ideas and tips here

Thanks
    Reviews
    use more rice/pasta & veggies in your meals and eat less meat. Eg. when we were frivolous, we used to use a full 500g of mince in something for the 3 of us, but now I spread that across two meals.

Freeze any leftovers in single serve portions, for those nights you can't be stuffed cooking dinner. Saves money on takeaway, and prevents leftovers being left in the fridge to go mouldy.

Go through grocery store catalogues and only buy items that are on special (that you can't get cheaper in another brand or is not cheaper full price at another store) of course within reason if you really need something.

Stock up on non-edible sale items when they are on sale (eg. laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid, soap, feminine products, etc.) Avoid buying them when not on special unless absolutely necessary.

make soup for dinner sometimes. so much cheaper than other meal types.

buy in bulk where you can. If you go onto pinterest you can find many plans for freeze-ahead meals that rely on buying only once a month and doing a big cook-up to freeze and spend the month consuming.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    How does that save money? I dont get it?

I will start doing it now tho but would like to know how it saves
    A significantly lower power bill

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Off peak energy use?
    Yep I think we save about 150-200/ quarter by being a bit savvy. Find out when your lowest tarrifs are and work from there. If we can save putting the heating on till 8 at night then great. From 10pm till 7am it's really cheap like 10c/mw so we run the heating then to warm the house and switch it off when we get up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Yep I think we save about 150-200/ quarter by being a bit savvy. Find out when your lowest tarrifs are and work from there. If we can save putting the heating on till 8 at night then great. From 10pm till 7am it's really cheap like 10c/mw so we run the heating then to warm the house and switch it off when we get up.
    Just check you are on an 'off peak' plan.

General money saving
    - colour your own hair and wear a long style that only needs a trim every 3-6 months.
    - don't wear makeup, perfume or use any skin products beyond a washcloth and basic moisturiser.
    - ditch any manicures/beautician - DIY if vital.
    - don't throw dinner parties or eat out/take away.
    I find all of the above can easily blow the $20-40 each week you've painstakingly shaved off your grocery bill for the past month in one go.

More little savings
    - pack your own lunch, go for a family picnic rather than cafe lunch on the weekend.
    - drink only tap water for cold drinks.
    - get the bucket out when your car needs a wash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shop online and shop in bulk (with meat anyway). Saves heaps.

If something is on special that is a non-perishable (i.e toilet paper, toothpaste etc) and you know you will use it, buy a few.

Have a leftovers night/or a pantry night every week. Particularly on those nights when you don't feel like cooking.
    Last edited by Wally90; 12-04-2014 at 20:41.