+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the risk of sounding juvenile Plants versus zombies is a pretty good distraction lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (11-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would suggest some kind of exercise! A walk maybe!! It definitely helps me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ex bf would never leave the house without a packet of nuts, as he found eating a few when he started to feel anxious would help avoid an attack. I think his issue was more pronounced in social situations, though. I guess the eating would be a form of distraction from the anxiety.
    I used to suffer from depression with general anxiety and found that exercise, (as well as medication), really helped me. Hoping you find some relief

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can highly recommend having a look at the resources on the Centre for Clinical Intervention website (a WA health site) - there are a series of modules on dealing with panic attacks using CBT under consumer resources. I'm not sure if I can link directly to it but if you have any trouble finding it just pm me. I think it would be easier to apply with the help of a psychologist but it might give you some ideas until you find one you work well with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a self help website get self help dot co uk, which has a cbt self help guide. If your body is in an aroused state of anxiety and panic you might not be able to get your mind in a good place.

Exercise has helped me with panic attacks - mostly walking. This sounds ridiculous but counting back from 100 in 7s.

If I have been triggered sometimes I just have to let the attack run it's course. And then reflect on it - writing down my thoughts even if they are irrational. By the second page I have usually calmed down.

Private health insurance will give you access to private clinics which can teach you these things as a day/in patient. Sometimes an intense course is better than weekly sessions with a psych.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I can usually feel when im about to have a panic attack but at this stage im not sure how to ward it off.

The only tips ive ever been given by psychs is breathing exercises or guided meditation. Not sure why but both of those cause me to have a panic attack. No psychs ive seen so far seem to believe/understand that, they just say I need to practice more.......

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I used to get them (thankfully have not had one in years) from childhood up until my mid twenties.
    The worst was when I started getting them every time I caught a train (which was twice a day when I commuted into the city for work), especially during the peak hour period where everyone is packed in like sardines; the train would sometimes stop on the tracks in between stations and for some reason I started thinking about how I was trapped and couldn't get off even if I wanted to; The panic would soar within me so much so that I was actually trembling, my mind would race with thoughts about having to plead with them to open up the doors and how "crazy" I'd look. Sometimes I'd get off at the next station, a random station, just so I could calm myself down. It was an awful time.
    I knew I had to do something because I had to get to work, so I always made sure I had a book/magazine to distract myself, a bottle of water (sipping it during a panic attack helped slow down my breathing, as did eating a lolly or chewing gum) and my phone. I'd look through photos of my family in my phone and found that calming. I'd visualize something happy, I'd think about my DS, picture his face.

All of the above are helpful coping tools, but my panic attacks stopped all together when my life got better.. panic attacks are generally a symptom of anxiety, stress/depression. For me, it's how my body reacts to stress and at the peak of my panic attacks (during my parent's divorce as a child and later a nervous breakdown in my twenties) I was going through a bad patch in life. Once that period got better, my panic attacks disappeared. I can even go on a plane nowadays, and I definitely know that I cannot exit midair, lol, but I'm not bothered by that.
    So my advice would be to find a distraction to get you through the actual panic attack itself, but also address the reason they are occurring- once you work on that, they should fizzle out.
    Good luck, they are nasty.

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 11-04-2014 at 22:17.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

TableDancer  (11-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd also suggest distraction, especially during them. I'd pop my headphones in and start cleaning, usually the kitchen for some reason, and that would help. I know you said breathing exercises make you worse but have a look at some of the resources mentioned you might find one that works for you, I found that breathing in for a certain amount of seconds and breathing out for a different amount helped me (probably because I was also distracting myself by counting too), where as my daughter hates doing that and prefers to tense her body up and then breath out slowly whilst relaxing everything. Do you know what sort of anxiety you are experiencing? I have some health anxiety and generalised anxiety modules from my psych that I found helpful, I would be happy to scan and email you them if it might help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I can usually feel when im about to have a panic attack but at this stage im not sure how to ward it off.

The only tips ive ever been given by psychs is breathing exercises or guided meditation. Not sure why but both of those cause me to have a panic attack. No psychs ive seen so far seem to believe/understand that, they just say I need to practice more.......

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Management of panic attacks or warding off panic attacks can be different for everyone. Breathing techniques and meditations rely on you focusing on what your body is doing which means when your panic attacks are starting with the physical symptoms (racing heart, sweating, shortness of breath, tingling) you are focusing on these things which will increase your fear and make the situation escalate into a full blown attack. Breathing/meditation is an internal focus. It sounds like you need an external focus (as others have suggested) so whilst focusing on a game, counting backwards etc your physical symptoms self regulate (breathing naturally slows, adrenaline dissipates) and the fight or flight feeling goes away. Also whilst you are busy playing games your mind set has changed and you are no longer having the thoughts that may have kicked your panic attack off. (I hope that all makes sense!). Understanding how panic attacks work and for what purpose really helps to reduce the frequency in my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have anyone with you right now?

As I mentioned in my other post, please try calling one of the helplines, there will be ppl there trained to help you.

For what it's worth, with my anxiety I don't have panic attacks but develop OCD behaviours. So not sure of this advice applies to your situation but my physc said for me not to do guided mediation, instead do mindfulness. Slow everything I am doing down.

For example, if I was to be mindful now I would start talking to myself like this ...
    - all I am doing right now is
    - typing on my phone
    -I notice that As I press the letters on the keyboard they enlarge
    - I have the volume on my phone on silent they make no noise when I press them
    - etc

If I was doing the dishes
    - all I am doing right is
    - the dishes
    - the water is warm
    - there are lots of bubbles
    - the dishwashing liquid smells of lavender
    - now I am picking up a plate
    - the dirt melts off the plate when it enters the water
    - I pull the plate out of the water
    - steam rises off the plate and the suds drip away
    Etc

It takes a bit of effort to focus on just exactly what you are doing and you may find some resistance from your mind. Just refocus and try again.

The way it was explained to me is that your brain develops pathways when you think the same way all the time. over time it starts to takes shortcuts when you start on the path (or trigger) and ends up in the anxious state. The trick for me is to slow down my mind so it doesn't head down that shortcut to the highly anxious state (for me OCD).

Another thing is when you are in a highly anxious state your body is flooded with stress hormones. Exercise helps burn off these stress hormones and also releases more of the feel good hormones. Getting outside for a walk in the sunshine and fresh air can be so refreshing.

Please call one of the help lines tonight and please Be kind to yourself having anxiety doesn't make you a bad person.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (11-04-2014)