+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Ideas for warding off panic attacks

I can usually feel when im about to have a panic attack but at this stage im not sure how to ward it off.

The only tips ive ever been given by psychs is breathing exercises or guided meditation. Not sure why but both of those cause me to have a panic attack. No psychs ive seen so far seem to believe/understand that, they just say I need to practice more.......

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hun, panic attacks are so horrible and debilitating is there something that triggers them? Can you try to distract yourself? Perhaps have a list of all the good in your life and read over it repeatedly until you feel calmer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IvyRain For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (10-04-2014),KaraB  (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know what you have panic attacks about but when I have mine, it's normally because I have started an internal dialogue which has me instantly jumping to the worst case scenario without considering the likelihood that everything will be fine. If I can catch myself early enough, I have to make a really concentrated effort to turn my internal dialogue from negative to positive. I have to remind myself that I'm being silly iykwim? I also find that being alone makes them worse, if I am not around people that can distract me, then I find getting out of the house and going for a walk always helps. Fresh air and exercise is the best at stopping a panic attack in its tracks. Obviously not always an option (ie if you're at work or it's 1am in the morning) but still it's worth mentioning. I also have a meditation cd on my iPod which sometimes helps stop negative thoughts attacking my brain. Big hugs hun, anxiety is the worst.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to have them horribly. Strangely I found video games helped. I suppose it's because they forced me to concentrate on something else. It's worth a shot anyway

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KaraB For This Useful Post:

IvyRain  (11-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. For the most part I know what triggers them but I can't stop those stressful events.

I also do the internal dialogue, worst case scenario thing but usually I don't know how to stop myself or turn it around before it gets too bad.

I do go for a walk when I can, but as a pp said, it's not always possible. I'll try & break out the play station & see if video games will help.

I'm really struggling to find a way to control/ward them off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried some cognitive behavioural therapy? Can help with diverting thoughts from worst case.
    Short term, sensory activities have been proven to help- running hands under water, eating a really hot mint, one of those head massage thingos- worth a shot. Hope you find some relief x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Spots mum I'm still trying to find a psych that I can go to without taking time off work. At this stage I haven't had much luck so I'm most probably on my own till i go on mat leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraB View Post
    I used to have them horribly. Strangely I found video games helped. I suppose it's because they forced me to concentrate on something else. It's worth a shot anyway
    This is how I cope too! If I feel one coming on then I usually play a game on my phone. Or I start chatting to someone whether it be on my phone or in person. Ask lots of questions about them. It's distracting and takes your focus off yourself.

Feel better soon xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsKLM For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you heard of or tried rescue remedy?
    http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/
    Might help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thankyou! Will definitely try the games thing.

I have heard of rescue remedy but have never tried it. Will have to find out if I can take it during pregnancy.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app