+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dee1 View Post
    I'm finding the case quite hard to follow, it's very messy and confusing.
    That's because it's real life, not some juicy fiction made up for us to pore over and speculate on. Good grief!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (17-04-2014),BeeSam  (16-04-2014),Busy-Bee  (17-04-2014),ClearCrystal  (16-04-2014),Mod-pegasus  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By perfect little bubble I was referring to the attitude that some people seem to have that anything lower than what they consider acceptable is not of an overall acceptable standard. Ie sleeping in from of the tv and not having her own room, both parents looking dodgy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jac7 View Post
    By perfect little bubble I was referring to the attitude that some people seem to have that anything lower than what they consider acceptable is not of an overall acceptable standard. Ie sleeping in from of the tv and not having her own room, both parents looking dodgy.
    No Jac7 that's just them thinking they're perfect parents in every aspect and have the right to judge others they've seen through media reports so they know everything about them.

Hell I remember when I was growing up being allowed to sleep the holidays in our lounge room having movie marathons when my folks went to bed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (17-04-2014)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am aware of mandatory reporting (in fact I am in a position that I am a mandatory reporter - and have been involved in reporting information which has led to the removal of a child from their parent's care).

However, a father being drunk and striking someone at a pub, is not a reportable action, hearsay of others saying the parents may have links to drugs - is not reportable, thinking people look high is not reportable.

Yes, when Chloe was taken to hospital for checking over, social workers and psychologists would have become involved, however, I'm still unaware of any evidence which points to specific facts that means that DOCS would be investigating the care of the children in this matter. Also I'm unaware of any facts which show that the parents are not caring for their children appropriately. The children may not be cared for the same as others feel is the way they would or should be cared for, however, that is where the problem with judgements lie.

If Chloe is found to be malnourished, or with bruising or tells stories which raise concern, then I'm sure any information will be taken seriously. However, this situation is very unique. At the moment the information at hand states that the abductor and the family were not known to each other and is therefore very different to 99% (I would figure) to any other abduction which we hear of where the child is actually taken by a non-custodial parent, rather than a stranger. There is nothing (so far) to suggest this was anything other than a random incident on behalf of the abductor.

There may well be some legitimate reasons that concern should be raised, however, I haven't seen any facts (just hearsay consisting of other people saying things about the parents and drugs, which may or may not be true) being raised as reasons these children are at risk. Until more facts are made available, I will keep an open mind.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (17-04-2014),BeeSam  (17-04-2014),gizmoduckus  (17-04-2014),Lauzy  (17-04-2014),lilypily  (17-04-2014),mel04  (17-04-2014),Purple Lily  (17-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post

Hell I remember when I was growing up being allowed to sleep the holidays in our lounge room having movie marathons when my folks went to bed.
    Sounds like you had your own room though, which is an indication your parents weren't extended beyond their abilities.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I am aware of mandatory reporting (in fact I am in a position that I am a mandatory reporter - and have been involved in reporting information which has led to the removal of a child from their parent's care).

However, a father being drunk and striking someone at a pub, is not a reportable action, hearsay of others saying the parents may have links to drugs - is not reportable, thinking people look high is not reportable.

Yes, when Chloe was taken to hospital for checking over, social workers and psychologists would have become involved, however, I'm still unaware of any evidence which points to specific facts that means that DOCS would be investigating the care of the children in this matter. Also I'm unaware of any facts which show that the parents are not caring for their children appropriately. The children may not be cared for the same as others feel is the way they would or should be cared for, however, that is where the problem with judgements lie.

If Chloe is found to be malnourished, or with bruising or tells stories which raise concern, then I'm sure any information will be taken seriously. However, this situation is very unique. At the moment the information at hand states that the abductor and the family were not known to each other and is therefore very different to 99% (I would figure) to any other abduction which we hear of where the child is actually taken by a non-custodial parent, rather than a stranger. There is nothing (so far) to suggest this was anything other than a random incident on behalf of the abductor.

There may well be some legitimate reasons that concern should be raised, however, I haven't seen any facts (just hearsay consisting of other people saying things about the parents and drugs, which may or may not be true) being raised as reasons these children are at risk. Until more facts are made available, I will keep an open mind.
    We (anonymous people on the Internet) probably aren't ever going to be made aware of all the facts. All we can do is make judgements based on what's in the media. Or in the case if the hubber who witnessed the family in person wandering the streets late at night. Some give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're not that bad. Others (like me) are suspicious based on what we've read and think they are likely crappy parents. We're all judging and in the end it doesn't matter if we disagree or are wrong because none of us will ever be made aware of all the facts and none of us are in a position to actually do anything about the family.
    Last edited by VicPark; 17-04-2014 at 05:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post

You said it so well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    We (anonymous people on the Internet) probably aren't ever going to be made aware of all the facts. All we can do is make judgements based on what's in the media. Or in the case if the hubber who witnessed the family in person wandering the streets late at night. Some give them the benefit of the doubt and say they're not that bad. Others (like me) are suspicious based on what we've read and think they are likely crappy parents. We're all judging and in the end it doesn't matter if we disagree or are wrong because none of us will ever be made aware of all the facts and none of us are in a position to actually do anything about the family.
    And this is exactly why judgements shouldn't be made as you've only heard hearsay half truths etc.

That's what is so wrong with society these days is how judgemental and small minded people are.

Ever heard the saying innocent until proven guilty. It isn't guilty until proven innocent.

Must be nice to be able sit up on a high horse and judge all the common parents below while being perfect and not making any mistakes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ClearCrystal For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by ClearCrystal View Post
    And this is exactly why judgements shouldn't be made as you've only heard hearsay half truths etc.

That's what is so wrong with society these days is how judgemental and small minded people are.

Ever heard the saying innocent until proven guilty. It isn't guilty until proven innocent.

Must be nice to be able sit up on a high horse and judge all the common parents below while being perfect and not making any mistakes.
    If our opinions don't have any impact on anything, why shouldn't we judge or hypothesise based on what we've heard? We're all judging, even you. It just happens that some of us are a bit more realistic and on the ball

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (17-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everyone judges. eg. I feel like I'm being judged for judging these parents.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-04-2014)