+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie's Mum View Post
    I stopped at Childers a couple of months back while driving back home and this family stopped to pat my dogs. The little one ran straight up to me, they were sweet cute little things, barefooted walking through the main strip at 10pm+ at night with their mum and dad and tiny baby in a stroller. I remember the mums dark circles under her eyes and I felt sorry for the girls and baby boy just by the look of their parents, they were obviously high/drunk, it was awful. When I saw them on the news I knew it was dodgy from the get go after my experience with them. Poor kids. I'm glad Chloe is alive and well.
    It just sounds so over the top, maybe they were up at 10pm because they had a new baby and were taking him for a walk cause he had woken the whole house up. Maybe the mum had dark circles under her eyes because she had a new baby. We never used to wear shoes as a kid in summer (which a few months ago it would have been). And maybe they just didn't want to fight the kids to put their shoes on. Maybe they were starting to have problems with addictions. It just bugged me that two posts were needed about meeting this family..

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeeSam For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-04-2014),KaraB  (15-04-2014),Lauzy  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeSam View Post
    This comment is revolting. Talking like you know them, sure people can speculate but to speak like one meeting in the street months ago makes you an expert on this family. WOW..
    Thank you so much! I've tried to reply a few times to that comment and couldn't say it as polite as you did.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

BeeSam  (15-04-2014),Lauzy  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok.

Heres the thing. Saying this family is dispicable and their children should be taken away is moot. Everyone on this forum could scream it but it would still be moot because the fact is, what is best for children is not always very obvious.

Child protection is very complex and a full understanding of child development and the complexities of child welfare is imperative to finding apprpriate solutions for any given child.

Did you see the footage of this little girl with her mother? What I saw was a child and mother in arms and love. Perhaps this child should be torn from her mother but perhaps there's another solution? None of us really know. But I think what people can/should agree on is that children should be kept together with a loving parent wherever possible and support for the family to stay together is often a better solution.

Im not saying it is, I'm just saying that a lot more goes into these decisions than people may think. I would have been more judgy at a time, but I've read a lot lately and now see things a lot differently.

Not to mention the child welfare system is seriously overloaded, but that's not my point above, just another side issue!:

"The most recent national figures from the AIHW indicate that in Australia, during 2011-12, there were 252,962 notifications of suspected child abuse and neglect made to state and territory authorities (a rate of 34.0 notifications per 1,000 Australian children), which is an increase of 6.6% from the 237,273 reports made in 2010-2011."

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (15-04-2014),gizmoduckus  (15-04-2014),KaraB  (15-04-2014),Lauzy  (15-04-2014),Mod-xkwzit  (15-04-2014),Purple Lily  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think the thread should be closed. What's the point in having a forum and the Internet if people cant discuss things like this? Like it or not It's a hot parenting topic at the moment and if we start being all 'close it down' then well the forum will lose its relevance. As long as people aren't being nasty to each other, grossly offensive or breaking the law then enough of the censorship.
    I completely agree! I don't think it should be closed either, I was just frustrated with the restrictions on what can be discussed. It feels like we're being limited to just posting facts and being criticised for posting any personal opinions or views.

Eg. I'm unsure if I can post about the news story tonight regarding the pub brawl involving the Dad because it's critical of him...

EDIT: Also just thinking about the Kiesha Weippeart (Abrahams) threads on bubhub, when she was missing (before it was revealed what had happened ).

A lot of members were speculating about what had happened, particularly that the mother was involved.
    Last edited by sky1; 15-04-2014 at 21:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There's nothing more frustrating than reading along in a thread only to have it closed :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've not run it by any other mod, but I think posting links to published articles is fine sky1. They are in the public domain and have been published for public consumption and discussion.

However, it is true that speculation can prejudice a potential court case, which is always difficult for the moderators. How much opinion is too much? It's always a subjective issue.

I do hate the blame game though. As if we find some shred of a fact that separates us from them it will protect us like some talisman from something similar happening to our families. It won't though because sometimes bad things happen for no real reason

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-xkwzit For This Useful Post:

sky1  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood View Post

"The most recent national figures from the AIHW indicate that in Australia, during 2011-12, there were 252,962 notifications of suspected child abuse and neglect made to state and territory authorities (a rate of 34.0 notifications per 1,000 Australian children), which is an increase of 6.6% from the 237,273 reports made in 2010-2011."
    Now that is revolting. And so sad, breaks my heart

Thanks
    Reviews
    My heart breaks for the little girl, who has been exposed to a terrible situation that no child should ever have to go through.

As a parent, I believe I have a responsibility to ensure my child is in a safe, loving, caring environment. This includes the people I choose to associate with and the lifestyle I choose to live.

After watching extended family get involved in drugs and watching the viscous cycle that occurs, it's not something I would ever be involved in, nor would I subject my child to the repercussions of it.

I don't know what to think. I don't know enough about this family, but based on the information I do know, I'm disappointed in them, the children deserve better. Nobody can deny that if the father was not involved in drugs and mingling with the wrong crowd, this terrible event may have never happened.

Hopefully the family gets the help they need and the children are not exposed to this again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (15-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So according to the news tonight the father knew who took her and where she was the whole time, but said he couldn't do anything about it. Then he got smacked out. This was said by a lady who was in the pub during that altercation.

If the wife was clueless and innocent with all of this i hope she kicks his butt out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessed Be View Post
    So according to the news tonight the father knew who took her and where she was the whole time, but said he couldn't do anything about it. Then he got smacked out. This was said by a lady who was in the pub during that altercation.

If the wife was clueless and innocent with all of this i hope she kicks his butt out.

Yes I saw that too and the lady who spoke wasnt the only one to over hear that.. horrible