+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing as DS is CMPI and also showing symptoms of gluten intolerance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (11-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive gone sugar, gluten and dairy free ...mostly, I found bakers delight do a spelt loaf, which is pretty good, it's like white bread. Expensive though at $7 a loaf. I've been reading the quit sugar book, and it mentions sour dough is the best bread, it's still got gluten, but it already in the stages of breaking down, so not as hard on your system (?) or something to that effect! Coles have a good gf fruit loaf too. I also made muffins from the gf flour, plus buckwheat flour, and the were darn good, just added a bit more moisture... Oil, almond milk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamer1 For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (11-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thankyou for all your replies I really appreciate it I will take on board all suggestions. Off to do my grocery shop now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a previous poster mentioned Spelt is a great alternative BUT it isn't suitable for some gluten free people.
    I make my own spelt bread- super easy but it's more cake like than bread!! Although its lovely as a toast with avocado
    Spelt pasta is great and I substitute all my plain and self raising flours with Spelt flour.
    Have you heard of "slim pasta"? That's a good alternative and also has virtually no calories.
    Also with the dairy free- is it the Caisin protein she can't have? If so goats cheese is still ok and you can easily make coconut milk/cream ice cream or go with soy alternatives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SHAELEEJANE For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Spelt is unsuitable for anyone who is gluten free. It has gluten in it!

You'll get used to it after awhile. I like Country life Low GI (they changed their recipe and it is so nice now!) and the new helgas range of bread. Pasta my very favourite is the corn pasta a woolies called Pasta d'oro by Sam Mills. It tastes great and is way cheaper than most other gluten free pastas. I also eat heaps or rice and corn thins, the flavoured ones are nice - whip up a bit of hummus and some veg and ham and there is lunch.

I use Freedom foods vege spread and my favorite cereal is Berry good morning also by freedom foods. I also eat a lot of rice, potatoes and polenta now - which I never did before.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (12-04-2014)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Spelt is unsuitable for anyone who is gluten free. It has gluten in it!
    Yes it has gluten but it has far less then normal wheaten bread and the gluten that is there is far more easily disgested than wheat. It's really an individual thing, coeliacs can't touch it but it's a good occasional option for GI depending on tolerance. Dd6 can't handle wheat but she's fine with 2-4 slices of spelt a week.

Ancient Grains do a good oat bread which has no wheat at all (tho they don't say it's GF) but it has a great texture. I get it in Thomas Dux. It freezes well too.

And the best GF pasta I have found is the San Remo one in the red/orange box from Coles. If you cook it just to 8 minutes you can barely tell its gf!

A good way to test your tolerance of oat gluten is to get the freedom foods gf oats and have that daily for a week. Then change to normal oats and see if you notice a reaction. My coeliac friend says oats themselves are gf but they are grown on land where they are is rotated with gluten-containing crops. The freedom oats are grown on land which is dedicated to gf crops.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry, you are right - I'm coming from a coeliacs point of view. So in my mind no gluten ever, ever! I forget that it is different for gluten intolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    Yes it has gluten but it has far less then normal wheaten bread and the gluten that is there is far more easily disgested than wheat. It's really an individual thing, coeliacs can't touch it but it's a good occasional option for GI depending on tolerance. Dd6 can't handle wheat but she's fine with 2-4 slices of spelt a week.

Ancient Grains do a good oat bread which has no wheat at all (tho they don't say it's GF) but it has a great texture. I get it in Thomas Dux. It freezes well too.

And the best GF pasta I have found is the San Remo one in the red/orange box from Coles. If you cook it just to 8 minutes you can barely tell its gf!

A good way to test your tolerance of oat gluten is to get the freedom foods gf oats and have that daily for a week. Then change to normal oats and see if you notice a reaction. My coeliac friend says oats themselves are gf but they are grown on land where they are is rotated with gluten-containing crops. The freedom oats are grown on land which is dedicated to gf crops.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    My coeliac friend says oats themselves are gf but they are grown on land where they are is rotated with gluten-containing crops. The freedom oats are grown on land which is dedicated to gf crops.
    Very true, oats are naturally gluten free, but they are usually co-grown and stored with gluten containing cereals. I really like Freedom foods as a brand. Everything tastes great and they are really serious about gluten free stuff

15. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (13-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    GF breads are getting better and i dont mind the san remo gf spaghetti. Its the hidden stuff thats harder to manage, the obvious ones all have alternatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am coeliac and it has taken me quite a while to adjust. The best bread I have found is golden hearth seed loaf. You do have to toast GF bread to make it taste decent. The one I mentioned you don't really have to toast though.
    You will find what you do and don't like.
    I also love rice noodles. So easy to prepare and mix them with some cheese and veg.
    If you are in Brisbane Beefys have just brought out really decent GF pie. You may be able to find some nice GF pizza bases in certain fruit shops. I find the fast food chains pizzas are awful.
    Mainly stick to fruit, veg, dairy, poultry and meat.
    Pasta needs to be cooked exactly as directions say otherwise yuck. I prefer rice though.
    There is loads of help out there - it will just take time to adjust