+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you manage your Gluten intolerance?

Hi I just just found out that I have a Gluten intolerance and would love advise on how to manage it. I love my breads and pastas and baking and find gluten free bread to be disgusting. What are your fave gluten free foods? Do you cut it out altogether or do you still have the odd cheat? Any tips would be great.

Thanks for reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have recently had to take my dd off gluten so our whole house is now gf. We love bread and I also think gluten free bread is gross but I'm trying different ones in the hope of finding a bearable one. I have bought gf flours but haven't used them yet. I'm going to try a gf blueberry pancake recipe soon, fingers crossed they are nice. The worst part about having to go gf is its so expensive! If the food was nice it wouldn't be as bad but paying $7 for a loaf of gf bread that's gross is frustrating. The pasta is ok though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some bakeries make nicer gluten free bread then the ones you buy from the supermarkets. We have just found out my DD has a gluten intolerance and found a lot of awesome gluten free products at aldi and woolworths! If she has any gluten at all it effects her behaviour and gives her stomach pains so we have decided not to cheat her diet at all. She is 100% gluten free now and she is a much happier little girl. Maybe try gluten free wraps instead of the breads.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dvb230592 For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wheat, corn , rye , dairy and egg free..... Gluten free can be really easy but it just takes practice
    Bake using almond meals, coconut flour or the gluten free flours available. There is a huge range of pastas available or "slim noodles" are great too.
    Make sure it's actually a gluten intolerance.... I was told to go off gluten but in actual fact was intolerant to corn as well which most gluten free products are full of.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SHAELEEJANE For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree gf food is expensive!!!
    I find the Helgas sunflower and quinoa bread the best but I still toast it.
    With pasta, the San Remo brand is good but expensive. The Coles gluten free penne is cheaper and nice but the trick is to not cook it till it's soft as it will just fall apart. For us it's trial and error with trying new brands then when you find one you like you stick to it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Riss78 For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (10-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can you tolerate the gluten in oats? It's a different type of gluten to that found in wheat, rye and barley. If you can - there's a great organic oat bread on the market. It's ancient grains organic oat cobb. It's lovely and it's as close to normal bread as I can find

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dvb230592 View Post
    Some bakeries make nicer gluten free bread then the ones you buy from the supermarkets. We have just found out my DD has a gluten intolerance and found a lot of awesome gluten free products at aldi and woolworths! If she has any gluten at all it effects her behaviour and gives her stomach pains so we have decided not to cheat her diet at all. She is 100% gluten free now and she is a much happier little girl. Maybe try gluten free wraps instead of the breads.
    I have been looking everywhere for a god flat bread! Is it from a supermarket or a bakery? My woollies doesn't have one! I used to make chips out of mountain bread which dd used to love. I agree there are lots of gf products out there if you look for them! I never realised until I needed them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAELEEJANE View Post
    I'm wheat, corn , rye , dairy and egg free..... Gluten free can be really easy but it just takes practice
    Bake using almond meals, coconut flour or the gluten free flours available. There is a huge range of pastas available or "slim noodles" are great too.
    Make sure it's actually a gluten intolerance.... I was told to go off gluten but in actual fact was intolerant to corn as well which most gluten free products are full of.
    My dd has to go gluten and dairy free. It's so new to us. Atm it's a bit hard, it took so long to do my shopping cos i had to read every product ingredient but I'm hoping it gets easier once I know what she can and can't have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was BFing I did a dairy, soy, wheat, egg and gluten free diet that was really strict including no trace elements or even made on the same machinery. I can't help you with the bread because we never ate it but I used to order these cookie and cake mixes from www.allergyfriendlyfoods.com.au called Love Cakes and they were amazing.... Moist and delicious. They also do great pasta's made from corn etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (11-04-2014)