+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much time do you spend cleaning??

Not sure if this is the right place, but 33 weeks pregnant with #3, other kids are 7&4, 4 year old now in preschool 4 days a week. I had expected to get the house super organised and clean before baby but it's just not happening! I get on with my to-do list and something comes up - most recently head lice & worms - god that's a lot of cleaning/combing/ washing!!!
    Back on track and this morning I find mould in the office downstairs. I hate cleaning/house organisation so I'm not the most efficient at it, but we have 4 bedrooms, lounge, rumpus, 2 bathrooms and an office. Washing, shopping, cooking, tidying/cleaning up main living areas etc seems to take most of my time (well there are also all those hospital appointments). I just never seem to get to the deep cleaning stuff (cleaner is in the plan soon). I guess I just wonder do people with organised, clean houses literally spend all their day doing housework???? When we had my other kids we lived in much smaller units. Sure there was mess and clutter and I thought a big house would be great, but I just can't keep up with everything. DP has well paid job so I don't need to work, but he works long hours and outside space is high maintenance too so he doesn't do any cleaning. If his mum was here she would sort it all out no problem, but she's a little dynamo and would spend all day cleaning. Is that what people do? I am totally naive because I lived so much of my life in little flats that needed next to no cleaning??
    Sorry this is just turning into a vent. Pregnancy is taking it's toll on me but I'll have even less time when the baby is born. A big house is great with 3 kids but this one is such high maintenance I want to downsize LOL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there! I have recently started picking one "big" job per week. Something that I don't need to do very often such as windows, wiping down kitchen cupboards, cleaning out the fridge and freezer etc. I do a job per week on top of the usual washing, vacuuming, mopping, toilets etc. Sometimes I will pick one particular room and tidy and organise it. I find so far it's working well. Also if I write it in my diary as something I need to do for the week then I won't slack off and not do it. I love ticking things off my to do list! Then I can also look back and know when I did something last as sometimes things get forgotten. Also, don't be too hard on yourself about cleaning, you are pregnant, you are allowed to put your feet up and rest! X

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks those are really good ideas. I'm resting right now as started getting period like pain! I have ibs so think it's just that but when it started to coincide with braxton hicks decided better lie down - seems to be helping - all things considered better baby is born full term into chaotic house then premature cus mum stressed about cleaning!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree. A clean tidy house is nice but not at your babies or your expense! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing. I would like to know how others keep on top of cleaning. It takes me ages just to tidy up, vacuum and mop.floors.
    Add to the list everything else such as dishes, washing clothes, cooking etc it's overwhelming.
    For now I just concentrate on the main living areas and kinda ignore the rest ....

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I usually do a quick tidy up at night when kids are in bed - heck yes I'm exhausted but I just find if the house is tidy in the morning it's more likely to not get so bloody messed up durin the day and I can keep on top of everything.
    I always clean the kitchen at night.

I'm usually up before the kids to have my Breakky and put washing on so that when they are having Breakky I can clean the kitchen. I like to get in front by doing this.

I have a robo vacuum so he cleans all the bedrooms for me but I go around once a day with my enjo broom.
    Once a week I get out my vacuum and do the hard floor areas (not carpet, robot vac does a better job) and then an enjo mop which takes all of 10mins to do my 300sq/m house.

Once a month I do windows

Once a week I do cupboard doors, bathrooms scrub, dusting.

I clean toilets and vanities daily - I keep cleaning Items in the bathroom cub so every morning toilet gets a spray and wipe (with toilet paper so it flushes away) and a scrub if needed and vanity gets a spray a wipe.
    I do the kids bathroom when they are in the bath.
    Takes all of 5 mins and my bathrooms are always clean.

I try and do big jobs when ds2 is asleep and ds1 is in school so they don't miss out on time with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure - other people's house LOOK clean. They've done what most people do...given it a quick tidy before friends come over & make believe they live like that all the time.
    My parents house was always VERY clean when I was growing up (one of 6) & yes...my mum spent ALL her time cleaning.
    I feel better the cleaner my house is but sometimes I just go "F$&K IT" & enjoy my kids & my messy house. It's just gonna get messed up again. I'll wait til a friend is coming...then I know I'll clean! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt tired just reading that Freyamum! I think I might go have a cup of tea! hehe.

I just want to say, I am honestly in awe of all you ladies with a few children (heck, even one!) doing all this stuff. We are TTC and I don't even have one child yet, I work 4 days a week (but lets face it, that gives me THREE days every week where all I have to do is look after the dogs, cat and chickens) and I struggle to keep my housework in order!

I just hate cleaning. I do it, because I want my DH to come home to a nice clean house, but I haaaaate it! One of my specialties is coming up with ten thousand things that I simply 'must do right now' to avoid doing housework for as long as possible

If I were you, if you have a little bit of spare cash, because I know not everyone can afford to, but I would get a cleaner in before your baby is born to do a big clean for you. Get everything right back to that stage where you'll feel like you can do a bit of a quick wipe and things will be ok for now. I haven't yet been pregnant or had the experience of bringing a baby home, but I would imagine it would be much more relaxing to not have to stress about doing any major cleaning when you've just bought bub home.

And, next time you're feeling bad for not doing enough, just think of me, who's just being plain lazy! Hmmmm...I feel like I should do some cleaning now tonight...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a cleaner that comes every 2 weeks for 3hrsm she does all the cleaning like bathrooms toilets kitchn vac and mopping. So i keep on top of the kitchen each day and I will vacume when it needs it in between her coming.
    We only have 1 son at the moment so its easy to keep on top of things. We do have a clutter room though.. but I pick one room and de clutter it when I feel like it. So pick one a week and get ur dh involved it takes half the time!
    I think the key once u have it organized and cleaned for the first time is keep decluttering weekly and it makes everything so much easier to deal with..

If I leave it a month (de cluttering) then it seems like a massive task and I get overwhelmed. .
    Maybe hire someone to come clean and tidy for a few hours to help start u off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not enough time cleaning I am terrible at it! I just tidy and do general things that need to be done and after that I'm making excuses to do other things. I am in a small house 2br and every nook and crany has stuff shoved Into it. We are looking at getting a bigger place shortly and my number 1 thing I will be looking at is storage.