+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    A lot of parents aren't as comfortable letting kids do that as they used to be and that plays a big part. I'm not trying to start the usual debate about what is and isn't safe and whether the world is more dangerous or not, just saying that what is considered acceptable risk is a lot different in my experience to what it used to be.
    Guilty!
    When I was a kid I rode my bike all around town, to my friend houses to the park ect... I was only home to eat dinner and sleep.
    My daughter just turned 7, the age I was doing all of that above and there is no way I would let her jump on her bike and do what she wants! I did grow up in the middle of nowhere but still I think wtf were my parents thinking!

My daughter would LOVE to be able to do what I did as a kid, but it's just not going to happen. I let her run a muck outside but its always supervised.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Slightly off topic but I was really shocked the other day when I dropped off DS at school (local state school). I walked past the bike racks and there were about 6 bikes in them. I went to primary school in the 70s and 80s and the school was about twice the size of DSs but there were literally hundreds of bikes in bike racks at school.

I guess this is down to a combination of things including people are less keen to take risks with children's road safety, more cars on the roads, children traveling further to school, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Totally there with you - my oldest bounces through life he only has 2 speeds - flat out or asleep!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This. Mine too, and he's only 14 months. I'm terrified for when he gets older. He literally doesn't sit down unless he's eating or asleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Slightly off topic but I was really shocked the other day when I dropped off DS at school (local state school). I walked past the bike racks and there were about 6 bikes in them. I went to primary school in the 70s and 80s and the school was about twice the size of DSs but there were literally hundreds of bikes in bike racks at school.

I guess this is down to a combination of things including people are less keen to take risks with children's road safety, more cars on the roads, children traveling further to school, etc.
    Yes my primary school had lines and lines of bike racks! All kept in a secure fenced area. It even had a revolving door where the kids had to line up to get their bike and bike monitors which helped organise the bikes. The school I work at only has a handful of scooters in their bike rack (which only holds 6 anyway).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sometimes wish mine would just sit still for an hour! They are all in heaven at the moment with school holidays and rain, they have spent most of their days scooting around on the pavement splashing in 'muddles' (muddy puddles) and starting mud fights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I liked playing outside and inside. I never ranged jumped in mud. Just depends on the child.
    My 3 year old is the same.

DH & I <3
    DD 2 years old
    DS born July 2013
    Lolakitty - fur baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    There was quite possibly a number of kids 'in your day' who preferred not to run and jump, climb or play in mud. Maybe you just didn't notice them?
    Yep. That was me. Last thing I wanted to do as a kid was run and play in mud and get dirty. Yuk!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I walked past the bike racks and there were about 6 bikes in them.
    There seems to be a bit of a resurgence at our school. They might need to put more racks in soon, though I'm sure there were far more in the 70s. And few would be riding without parents. Fair enough as it an old area with narrow verges. The traffic is bad too - but only because of all the parents driving to school!