+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Always says he is scared

Ds is 2 and is always saying he is scared. . So if we are outside and I go in to get a drink he comes winging over to me and says he is scared.. also scared of the dark. I have never said anything for him to think the dark is scary..
    Is this normal 2yr old behaviour? He does go to daycare but wouldn't have thought the kids there would have mentioned the dark being scary or being alone is scary..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 year old daughter has become scared of the dark in the last couple of months. She's 3 in July- I've wondered if it's normal behaviour too but I think it is. It's coincided with a leap in her creative thinking so maybe their little minds have trouble switching off and understanding reality vs make believe?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    The being alone thing sounds like a bit of separation anxiety which is normal - just keep reassuring him that you will come back.

As for the dark thing, does he have a night light at all? That may help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd has started the 'scary' stage the last couple of weeks.
    She will be playing outside and scare the living daylights out of me by running inside after me screaming! Only to calmly reply to me questioning her with 'shhhh mummy, the scary dinosaur.'
    Or the scary tiger. Or crocodile.
    She has also just started 'kindy'.
    So not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it does feel like more than a coincidence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kezty View Post
    My dd has started the 'scary' stage the last couple of weeks.
    She will be playing outside and scare the living daylights out of me by running inside after me screaming! Only to calmly reply to me questioning her with 'shhhh mummy, the scary dinosaur.'
    Or the scary tiger. Or crocodile.
    She has also just started 'kindy'.
    So not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it does feel like more than a coincidence.
    Mines the same she's just gone 3 she's scared of everything bugs snakes spiders flies her blanket her bed her movies her room the toilet going to fast in car going to slow in car. Scared of daycare. My chn suggested a child psychologist as she's quite out of hand with it all and nothing we say or do appeasers her have been told it may be child hood anxiety. It all started at 2.5 has gradually gotten worse especially since the new brother.

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    When dd was 3 she was scared of monsters, dragons, dinosaurs just about everything. So when we had our house sprayed for spiders I got the guy doing to say to her that he was also spraying for all the mentioned things and we have not had a problem since.

For the dark I just got a night light.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes! we went through a stage where everything got the response "me scared". i think it is part of them learning different feelings/emotions and also seeing how you react to different things they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    Mines the same she's just gone 3 she's scared of everything bugs snakes spiders flies her blanket her bed her movies her room the toilet going to fast in car going to slow in car. Scared of daycare. My chn suggested a child psychologist as she's quite out of hand with it all and nothing we say or do appeasers her have been told it may be child hood anxiety. It all started at 2.5 has gradually gotten worse especially since the new brother.

I think we are fairly lucky, I honestly don't think she is genuinely scared, just playing a role in her imaginary game.
    She has an excellent imagination and is forever telling me stories, and I think because of the reaction she gets from us eg "ooooo is there a scary dinosaur?" Etc, she likes to use the 'scary card' to evoke reactions out of us :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kezty View Post
    I think we are fairly lucky, I honestly don't think she is genuinely scared, just playing a role in her imaginary game.
    She has an excellent imagination and is forever telling me stories, and I think because of the reaction she gets from us eg "ooooo is there a scary dinosaur?" Etc, she likes to use the 'scary card' to evoke reactions out of us :/
    Unfortunately mine gets hysterical she saw birds today and freaked she screamed and cried and carried on until I got her back in the car we didn't even make it to the chemist

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LiterallyNoOne View Post
    Unfortunately mine gets hysterical she saw birds today and freaked she screamed and cried and carried on until I got her back in the car we didn't even make it to the chemist

That's doesn't sound good :/
    Dd does spend quite a lot of time with ds outside 'on their own'. (They are outside from 9am until lunch then 4-6pm most days. Our back yard is 'kid proofed' and can be seen from every room in our house. So that makes life a lot easier)
    I think that it helps them deal with things that happen out there.

Your dd sounds like she has underlying anxiety though :/
    I think a professional might be able to help you get her through it though.
    Sorry I couldn't help :/