+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do you do for Easter with your children/family?

Sorry, yes another holiday thread but here's why.

DH and I have spent the last 8 years alone for Christmas and Easter. If not alone, very quiet and this is why we are building up our family hopefully to 4 children. We want a big family full of tradition. Christmas and Easter to be all about food, family and laughter. I know it sounds cheesy but it's a dream we both share. It's something we both have never had and find it quite sad

Our DD's will never go through what we have. We want life to be full of magic and excitement around these times.

Okay so I have Christmas sorted and can't wait to do that this year with our new little member but Easter? What does everyone do? What does everyone eat? I know it's no meat on Good Friday but that's it.

What do you do that's extra special for the kids? Do they look forward to Easter? Do you allow them chocolate? Do you do a big lunch or dinner and what day?

Sorry for all the Q's but I have no clue and although it's still only the 3 of us I want to start it now something big. I want to start the tradition this year as DD understands now.

Wishing I had a big extended family or wishing DH's family were at least coming to this side of the world

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We go to an Easter egg hunt on Good Friday then on Sunday ds wakes up to bunny prints leading down the passage to a basket of eggs and a pair of pjs. Then we do a hunt later on with his cousin.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We only really celebrate the Sunday.
    Hot X buns for breakfast
    Egg hunt with "clues" (basic ones!) leading to a cup and spoon set/new DVD.
    We watch the DVD later in the day.

Edit: we also give an Easter book and do Easter crafts in the lead up to the day.
    Last edited by RobinSparkles; 08-04-2014 at 18:59.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Growing up, we always had an Easter Egg hunt in the backyard and we had a huge family lunch with all the tableware and an entree and then always roast lamb for mains - grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins etc... it was always a joy filled day.

Now we have three kids and we either travel back to my childhood home and celebrate with family and do the egg hunt etc... or we stay home on our farm and family comes to us. We're staying home this year due to my health and having a relatively "small" gathering for Easter Sunday lunch with the five of us plus my folks and DH's folks and I've got my menu planned and we'll have our egg hunt as always. I always dye/paint eggs with the kids and do some other craft and baking.

Mum and Dad will be with us from Good Friday and traditionally we have hot cross buns for breakfast and fish/seafood for dinner.

Easter Saturday we have a BBQ

Sunday morning we'll head into church as well.

We definitely allow chocolate but I have always given an Easter themed book and a pair of winter PJs with their Easter Egg/bunny -ever since DD's first Easter.

My inlaws always get the kids 1/2 dozen day old chicks to hand raise at Easter - we live on a farm though, so we're used to rearing chicks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We are not Christian so easter is just a holiday/tradition - Good Friday we go to the local pub for lunch with DH family ( very child friendly, we sit outside in the garden)

Saturday night before Easter we leave a glass of juice and a bunch of carrots out for the bunny then Easter Sunday I get up extra early and hide the eggs in the yard, put some bunny prints ( flour sifted over paw print stencil!) from the bedroom door to the back door where the Easter bunny leaves a present ( nothing huge - usually a car or truck type thing) and we wait for mum and dad and my sister and niece to come over and the kids ( and my dad! ) do the egg hunt ( just those egg size Cadbury eggs but dad always finds a extra large egg and the kids love it !) then mum and I cook up a smorgasbord brunch which usually consists of:

Pancakes with honeycomb butter
    Toast with condiments
    Fried eggs
    Omelettes
    Date scones with jam and cream
    Yogurt and fresh fruit
    Sausages/bacon or some kind of meat for dad and DH!

Last year my brother and family were up from Melbourne and sometimes we have aunts/uncles so it can be a huge morning!

We don't buy eggs for anyone - that's the Easter bunnies job ( grandparents usually buy the kids pjs) and the kids eat maybe one or two of those little eggs then eat a big brunch and DH and I usually eat the rest of the eggs as DS forgets about them!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours will be pretty quiet, we may see MIL and FIL. Last year we were in the uk and spent Easter Sunday with my parents ( we were staying with them) other than Sunday lunch and buying DS an Easter egg we don't do anything big. Went to church as a child but now I'm an atheist it's not a huge celebration anymore. May hide some eggs round the house to make it a bit of fun for DS.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We make a nest on Saturday out of newspaper and leave it outside the kids doors. We also leave out carrots for the Easter Bunny. The Easter bunny puts eggs in the nest and a trail of eggs to the backyard. All eggs go in a central basket to make sure the older one doesn't end up with too many!
    We have a family lunch, this year we will have a brunch which I'm excited about making all the yummy food, even though I'll have a 3 week old then!
    We definitely allow chocolate and I'm torn about letting them eat themselves sick so they learn or rationing it so we have control?!?!?
    Hoppy Easter!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MiloMel For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My childhood Easter tradition was always a family camping holiday. I'm trying to start a similar tradition, except this year we'll be in Bali.

If we're at home, no red meat on Good Friday, there is a church near us that does a massive Easter egg hunt on Easter Saturday, Easter Sunday the bunny brings a rabbit, Humpty Dumpty egg, pj's & scatters the mini Cadbury eggs around the house. We put flour by the front door to 'catch' the Easter bunny's foot prints & leave a carrot with some water.

Chocolate is eaten for breakfast & if my family are around we have a family BBQ by the beach with another Easter egg hunt.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We definitely allow chocolate. For DS2 I may allow him one this year, I haven't really decided.. he's only 14 months. DS1 can have some, he is 4.

On Good Friday we are going to a fun day at church. On Sunday we will have an Easter egg hunt here. I use plastic eggs so that the hunt is big enough and I only put as much chocolate as I am comfortable with him having. I also put cereal and other little things in the eggs. I've always given an Easter book each year and a little present like an egg cup and spoon. This is all from the Easter bunny.

We visit my parents (separately) and also DF's parents. They all give DS1 chocolate and both my Mum and DF's mum have a hunt for him which I have been thinking I may ask them to stop as he's getting to the point where that will make him question why they have a hunt when we've already found the Easter bunny's eggs at home.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are so many great ideas here! Thanks for sharing. I love the idea of pjs. My dd can't have dairy anymore but I found some eggs at woollies that are filled with play dough,if anyone's looking for alternatives to chocolate for their Easter egg hunt.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (08-04-2014)