+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by goldtoe View Post
    That's a bit sick, invoking the image of someone beaten so badly they lose bowel control. You know what will actually do that, and a lot worse? being hit by a car.

How about trying an intelligent argument instead of exagerating any opinion you disagree with, to ridicule it? I know discipline can be an emotional topic, but lets try to be civil. (I'd really better keep away from the circumcision forum!)
    Don't ever make a threat you won't follow up on - I don't believe in smacking personally (each to their own) - but would never condone hitting a child 10 times.

Would you follow up on the threat of smacking 10 times?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    I think after snaking a child 10 times
    Snaking as a punishment has long been illegal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Posts defending violence against children, especially when there is another option... give me the utter sh!ts.

- and no, I have not just released my bowels.

How ridiculous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's a bit sick, invoking the image of someone beaten so badly they lose bowel control. You know what will actually do that, and a lot worse? being hit by a car.

How about trying an intelligent argument instead of exagerating any opinion you disagree with, to ridicule it? I know discipline can be an emotional topic, but lets try to be civil. (I'd really better keep away from the circumcision forum!)
    Great to know you think hitting a child hard 10 times is acceptable and not losing control. I for one would report anyone I saw hitting a child 10 times.
    How about the OP do the responsible thing and take ownership for the problem. Its her problem not her childs that they have escaped twice
    Last edited by Lincolns mummy; 09-04-2014 at 09:52.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Duck View Post
    Don't ever make a threat you won't follow up on
    You've got me there. I completely agree. Please treat the "ten times"as a figure of speech used in an adult forum. On reflection, simply threatening a repeat would be enough.

I still occasionally threaten our pre-schooler with a smack, but cannot remember the last time i had to follow through. But would if he tried to "call my bluff". Its one of the golden rules of parenting, eh?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to goldtoe For This Useful Post:

Daisy Duck  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You've got me there. I completely agree. Please treat the "ten times"as a figure of speech used in an adult forum. On reflection, simply threatening a repeat would be enough.

I still occasionally threaten our pre-schooler with a smack, but cannot remember the last time i had to follow through. But would if he tried to "call my bluff". Its one of the golden rules of parenting, eh?
    Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

I can understand what you are saying, but still think at that age it is our responsibly as adults to ensure we provide a safe environment for them so a lock on the door would be the easiest and safest way to solve this problem.

Op - I can understand you would have been upset when you first posted. How are you feeling now?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daisy Duck For This Useful Post:

goldtoe  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow.

Hit a child who almost got hit by a car so that they don't almost get hit by a car again?....... or...... secure the door?

Hard decision...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2014),HippyGirl85  (09-04-2014),MayoBean  (09-04-2014),VicPark  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    Wow.

Hit a child who almost got hit by a car so that they don't almost get hit by a car again?....... or...... secure the door?

Hard decision...
    logic error there. You've just made a false dichotomy. There is no reason to not do both.
    Please don't forget the context that these particular kids are out of control and think its all a big laugh. (Not blaming the parent at that age BTW!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It has been proven time and time again that we don't develop the mental ability to process the potential dangers of a situation until our late teens, which is why professionals are constantly pushing for a rise in the drinking and driving age.

I for one didn't learn a thing from being smacked at all (probably to the extreme at times) and really pushed the limits. I knew that it was a consequence of my actions but it didn't deter me. If I wanted to do it I would, nothing could stop me.

Prevention is better than cure, add some extra security, problem solved...... without violence.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-04-2014),baby4us  (09-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is no reason to not do both.
    Really? I can see more than one reason why hitting my children in this situation would be the wrong choice.