+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    The door needs to be secured better. They are too little to have this responsibility- I agree with a PP- it falls to the adults. Get a chain for the door.
    Yes, I agree. We've always lived in places with easy access to the road (e.g. the front fence has been low/non-existent or the gate is easily opened) so the front door has had to be the 'secure point'.

At one house we had a chain up high.

At this house (and our last house) we have a security door, which we lock and I put the key up high, out of sight.

Would your Dad agree to a chain lock or one of those slide locks on the inside of the door (up high)?

ETA: My children developed road sense at different ages (My eldest understood sooner, but my second child took ages). It wasn't something I was able to teach them quickly (much to my frustration!). It kind-of happened over time with lots of reinforcement until suddenly I realised that they understood.
    Last edited by sky1; 08-04-2014 at 09:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps if your father doesn't want to permanently install another lock/chain if you're not there for a long time a baby safety item might work. For doors or fridges I think. You can get ones that have a sticky bit on each end so they can be removed later on. Not sure if they'd be strong enough though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry if this is harsh but I would have secured the door the first time they got out. If you can't secure it they need to go up stairs with you. They could have been killed or caused injury to others trying to avoid hitting them. Something needs to be done now,. In the meantime start teaching them about road safety when you are out and about eg. Crossing roads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe it's the adults that need a lesson in safety if they can't manage to keep a door locked in order to protect two little kids. Who've been bought in off the road. By strangers. TWICE.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (09-04-2014),Ellewood  (09-04-2014),emzluvbub  (09-04-2014),LaDiDah  (09-04-2014),VicPark  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be refusing to stay overnight there until the front door is secured. There is no way I would be able to sleep at night knowing they could get out.
    Last edited by My Beloved Ones; 08-04-2014 at 10:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    We r staying at my dads at the moment so the front door doesn't always get locked (deadlock from the outside)
    So anyways
    Is it a deadlock where you lock with a key from the outside, but you can also lock from the inside by turning the knob over until it locks?

How high is it?

I'm just thinking that, if the lock is high enough so that your kids can't reach it, could you check and lock it after people leave/before getting dressed, having a shower etc?

I know it's a pain, but probably the only option if the people leaving the house are forgetting? (I've had to do this when we've stayed with relatives).

(Sorry if I've misunderstood, or if the lock is low, within child's reach)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirligig View Post
    Maybe it's the adults that need a lesson in safety if they can't manage to keep a door locked in order to protect two little kids. Who've been bought in off the road. By strangers. TWICE.
    This is my DH's attitude with our neighbours as their little boy is always out. They mustn't worry about locking the front door he just opens it and out he goes. We've only lived here for just over a year and I've seen him do it countless times. Once would have been too much for me. Hubby is frightened he will back over this child as it's hard to see behind his ute and this little boy just appears out of nowhere. Sorry but where is the parental responsibility? If my husband runs this kid over will it be his fault? Bloody scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids don't have the cognitive ability to understand at that young age, no matter how or how often you explain.

Please get something installed to stop them getting out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baby4us For This Useful Post:

Lincolns mummy  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double post
    Last edited by baby4us; 08-04-2014 at 11:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have children around that age too and have recently moved house. Unfortunately there is not a front fence like our old house which was awesome as I did not have to worry so much about the door if we forgot to lock it.

I am simply unable to rely on the younger children being safe around the road. No matter what I try and teach them, they are too young to comprehend.

It is my responsibility, as their parent, to ensure the door is locked with a key.

You are very lucky your children have not been harmed in some way and I hope you are able to fix the door so that it can be secure. Your children will not learn to stay off the road in one day or after a few smacks, it takes years of reinforcement and training. My nearly six year old can now be trusted around roads but can still get distracted if he chases a ball etc.