+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Struggling

My DD will be 5 months on the 21st of this month and I have had constant bleeding since her birth (all hormonal apparently) so I'm hoping to get her onto formula to start the pill.
    She's had formula a few times, once for a whole day while I went to a wedding and she was with her dad, and again a few more times when we've been out but mostly breast. I breastfeed at 7 this morning as we usually do and tried bottles at 11 which is her usual feed time and she just screamed and screamed. My mum is visiting and said just to wait awhile and try again when she's hungrier so I tried again at 12 and same thing happened until I gave her a small feed of boob. I've just tried again as her feed time is at 3 and she's screamed and screamed again and now she's having boob. I hate seeing her cry but really need her to go to bottles! DD1 was breastfeed till 11 months until I got sick and my milk made her sick so I haven't had to experience this before and now I'm struggling! I don't know how to get her to take the formula, she's done it before with no dramas but today she just wasn't having it. Should I just start fresh tomorrow morning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    Is she trying to suck at all? Is it a problem with the flow from the teat? I can imagine how had this would be for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She sort of sucks a little bit then makes faces and pushes it out with her tongue, turns her head side to side and pushes it away with her hands

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What bottles are you using?
    I didn't have any success with avent or closer to nature. I was told they are very different to breastfeeding being short teats that are quite hard.
    Pigeon worked wonders for us. Or even the cheapie happy baby brand. They are softer and longer making them far more like breastfeeding. Could be worth a try?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had similar issues with my DD. The only bottles she will take are the cheap happy baby ones & Tommee Tippee with the long teat.

Will she take ebm from a bottle? You could try that first & then switch to formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to use avent but I might go and get a different one today. She went to bed at 8:30 last night and I just expressed 100mls and tried to feed her (now 7:30) and she was hungry just couldn't seem to suck it properly, she was more chomping down and pushing it out with her tongue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummabear90 View Post
    She sort of sucks a little bit then makes faces and pushes it out with her tongue, turns her head side to side and pushes it away with her hands
    My daughter did exactly that when I tried to give her S26 when weaning, she hated the taste. Maybe try a different formula brand. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds did the same. for us it helped if someone else fed him the formula untill he got used to it as we think he could smell my milk so he just wanted that. for the first few days I even chucked on df's jumper while feeding him if noone else was around.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe try avent natural if you already have everything avent before you buy a whole new round of bottles n sterilisers. My bub is ff from birth and will only take the classic because natural is too much like a breast and she can't feed from that range as she is not used to the shape of a breast and can't latch. So maybe that's perfect for you as it's the opposite problem? Your bub may not be used to classic and might only take the natural as it mimics the breast? Just thinking if you already have all the avent stuff?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went and got the natural avent teat so will give it a go in the morning. I wear my partners jumper and change breast pads so theyre fresh and conceal the smell of my milk haha my partner works away for weeks at a time so it's only me or my two year old (she'd love to but hasn't quite mastered the gentle touch yet) to give her bottles which sucks coz I think she'd probably take it off someone else.