+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Room sharing???

We live in a 3bdr unit and both my DD's are in their own room. However I am toying with the idea of putting them together and using the other room as a playroom so that our lounge room is a bit more functional lol. They are 3.5yrs and almost 6 months. Do you think it's too early? DF doesn't really want to as he believes they need their own space however I believe they can share until Dd1 is older(late primary) and by then we would have bought our own place with enough room

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing as I have an 8 month old and 2.5 year old who will most likely need to share a room once we move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 3.5yo and a 9 month old, both boys. We intend to put them in the same room as soon as the little one sleeps through (or at least longer stretches as he's a frequent night waker). DS1 understands that his bedroom will become the 'sleeping room' and DS2's room will become the toy room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following too. Ours will be 22 months apart and we plan on them rooming together once babe is old enough. DP shared a room with his sister (3 years younger) until they were about 8 and 5 and he remembers it very fondly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I shared with my siblings until I was 12. My sister and I shared for as long as I can remember (2.5yr gap) and then when another sister was born she shared with us as well (9 year gap) so effectively there were 3 of us sharing the same room - my mum and dad had the other bedroom with my other sister who was a baby. I was fine with it, didn't know any differently and don't remember any differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son and daughter share a room. He's 4 and she's 2.5, 19 months between them. She moved into his room when she was around 16 months and it has worked really well, I now can't imagine them being "alone" in their own rooms.

As for it being too early, there's no way I could have moved any of my babies into a shared room (with another child) at 6 months, because they have all been terrible sleepers wiht frequent wakeups at that age - but if yours both sleep well, then I can't see any reason why not. You've just got to remember that with a shared room if one wakes, the other likely will too. My two both sleep really well in together. My 10 month old however is another story. Haha.

ETA - when Ben gets a little older and sleeps a little better I'm even considering letting all 3 of them share. They just seem much happier than having to go on their own to their own rooms. At the moment I sleep in with Ben most nights. He sleeps on a Queen sized dismantled Bed (mattress on the floor beside the base). I think they'll all love being in together at some point.
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 07-04-2014 at 14:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there's a problem with sharing but I would probably wait until your 6 month old is over 1 so you know she won't interrupt DD1's sleep. 2 of my daughters share by choice without any problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Atm their bedroom doors face each other with a gap of about 1m between. DD2 usually only wakes once in the night sometimes not at all and quite often DD1 wakes up anyway when that happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved our boys in together a few months ago.
    They are 4 1/2 and 2 1/2.
    We bit the bullet and did it when the 2 year old went into a bed.

We also have a 3br place - although a house, but plan on making the 3rd bed a playroom.

Took a bit of getting used to, but now they sleep well together. If ds2 wakes in the night, generally ds1 sleeps through it, unless he goes on the fritz and we need to REALLY calm him down.
    They chat, and in the morning they play together. They miss each other when the other isn't around.

We plan on renovating, and will have a 4 be, but plan on having them share until they are older and need space.
    Sharing a room is important. They learn consideration of others, and sharing etc.

I do think 6 months is a tad young, but there are hubbers in here who have done it, and the world is full of families who have children sharing from quite young, as a necessity. It can be done. It can be really successful too.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 & dd2 share have been since dd2 was 1 they love it, they have had the option to not share and have their own rooms but don't want to
    At my old house we used the extra bedroom as a toy room it was a lot better I don't like having toys in the lounge room or bedrooms, we are lucky we have 2 lounge rooms now so they have a bigger toy room and we have a spare room

I say no harm in trying
    Last edited by bunkx; 07-04-2014 at 14:31.