+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Out of area to our chosen hospital

Hi all, So today i am 5 weeks pregnant. I had a visit to the docs this morning and all is fine. We told her that we would like to have the birth at Sutherland Hospital NSW. She wrote up a referral so i was like sweet this is easy. When i rang the maternity ward, they said that because i am out of area i have to apply to have my baby there. I see a doctor in the Sydney CDB as its close to work, the lady on the phone found this strange as i dont have a local gp because i just go to the local med center and ask for first available.
    So now i have to write a letter explaining why i want to have my baby at Sutherland.
    My question is, has anyone else come across this and if so, what tips can you give me to be successful as we don't want our baby at Bankstown or liverpool hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Hospitals have "catchment" areas. Id try and get your letter written up as fast as possible as some hospitals can book up pretty fast and they will give priority to those that are in their catchment. No advice but I just wanted to wish you good luck. Congratulations of your pregnancy xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know a few people that have used their friend's addresses to get into their chosen hospital.

Get your letter in quick, first in best dressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I believe you have to provide proof that you actually live at your ''friends'' address. it's not that easy to get around it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice, but we're in a similar situation, so I'm hoping you get to go to the hospital you want. When I was pregnant last time I never had to show any proof of living in my house, it was just where they sent all hospital correspondence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, apparently up until 6 months ago they accepted anyone! Talk about timing right. I am waiting for the referral form from the doc then it will be sent off. We dont know anyone around those areas and wouldnt feel right using an address that wasn't ours. It will work out