+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving schools & skipping a grade

Hi,
    I just wondered what experiences people have had with moving schools, and with their child skipping a year in primary school. If anyone is able to post or PM with your experiences it would be appreciated :-)
    My child has recently moved schools (for a few reasons). After speaking with the teacher it seems it would be good for them to go up a grade. However, this would mean moving them to a different school (for a few reasons).
    Obviously moving schools twice is not ideal, but we are hopeful this could be a good idea.
    They are on the cusp between the age for both grades, so would not be younger than the children in the older grade.
    Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is very rarely necessary to skip a grade. There is such a broad range of skills in any one grade that it would be a bit pointless unless it was for social or age related reasons. Can you give a bit more info OP? Reasons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess it depends on the child. In my experience as a teacher (and having been skipped ahead a grade myself when in primary school), when children have been significantly younger than the older grade, i have seen them being socially alienated from their peers as the maturity level is often significantly below that of their classmates. If they are similar in age to the older class, it might not be so much of a problem. My main question would be: are they a full year ahead of their current year level academically? My main reason for asking this is because if they are not a full year ahead, and are, say, 6 months ahead or something, then they may struggle with bridging the gap to be able to participate in the learning of the higher grade. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My other question would be what is the teacher doing to extend your child? or are they just being lazy and not wanting to differentiate the learning to accommodate your child's ability? It is part of a teacher's job to provide for varying levels within a classroom, and often the bright students are branded as being in the 'too hard' basket simply because it is easier to provide remedial support for students not meeting the grade than it is for students going ahead of the content of the planned lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your responses :-)
    The teacher has said that she can continue to extend them in the current class, and that is definitely an option.
    She also thinks they would cope academically and emotionally with going up a year.
    I am not sure if they are a full year ahead, but they pick things up very quickly so we anticipate any gaps could quickly be filled.
    We are concerned about them getting bored (even with the extension), which is why we are considering taking them up, particularly given there are no age considerations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    from what you have just said, it looks like there would be no problem putting them up, and you've already considered the potential problems so that's good. It sounds like the teacher is on the ball. If you don't have any other issues or concerns, then I don't see any problem with putting them up. Usually social maturity and the ability to bridge the learning gap are the two biggest concerns when skipping a grade, and it looks like this has been addressed. I'd be interested to know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, if you are concerned about potential boredom, putting them up might be the best option. With students who are academically bright, behaviour concerns often emerge when boredom is present in the classroom. Being in a higher year level will also give him the opportunities to engage in classroom discussions at his own academic level. It can be frustrating when the only people you are able to talk to about your learning are unable to converse at your level - and it's thoroughly researched that oral language is the key to all learning and forms the basis of our understanding of the world around us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your lovely responses :-) I will try to remember to pop back and let you know what we decide and how it all goes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to give a quick update. We did move grades and put our child up a year. It has been fantastic. They have really blossomed and are so happy. There have been very few gaps and they have enjoyed the more challenging work. Moving schools twice was definitely stressful and a risk, but in our case it has worked out well. I think this is also due to how great the new (small) school is. Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and another thing we had to consider was that they will now be going to high school a year earlier than we had planned. Luckily the high school we had chosen was able to move the enrollment to be a year earlier, but it's something to consider for anyone faced with the same decision.