+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has been in daycare since she was 9 months old (now 11 months) She started with throat infections and a constant runny nose (that could have been her teeth though)
    Two weeks ago she caught gastro, very severe case and was admitted to hospital and had a feeding tube put in

Definitely expect them to get sick a lot but down the track they will very rarely catch anything. It's so hard.

I'm struggling with it, mainly because she's there full time

2. The Following User Says Thank You to May baby For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine survived his first winter in daycare with nothing . He got sick on a play date . Guess we were lucky

4. The Following User Says Thank You to happygirl1982 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 only did day care one day a week and we managed to escape with nothing more serious than a snotty nose (that said, we live down South where it is very cold and wet over winter and every single kid in town had a snotty nose).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My boy was continually sick for the first couple of months (a few days on, a few days off etc). Then periodically sick for the first year.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Colds, gastro, hand foot & mouth, head lice DD got it all during her first Winter of daycare, aged 3. I had just started a new job working 4 dpw (which is why she was in care) and I've never had so many days off work in my life! Fortunately once we got through that first Winter things evened out and she was pretty well after that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    Our DD was sick basically continually when starting daycare. She would go for 2 days, get sick, have the next couple of days off, then repeat......we pulled her out after 18mths when it was no better.
    She has a pretty terrible immune system though!

I think they usually say the first 12 mths are the worst.
    this was my exact experience with DD at two. Except she only went one day a week, and I pulled her out after 8 months because she was so sick I just couldn't stand it. Now she is 3 she goes to kinder two full days a week and although it's only been term one, so far she's just had one small cold. I think when they are a little older they are better able to sneeze and cough into their hands which helps a bit?

To OP, my best mates little girl caught everything for 6 months and then NOTHING in two years. So really I think it just depends on the individual child.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, I only had DD in for two four hour days last week and she's come away sicker than she's ever been in her life. The vomiting started 2 days after her first session and has lasted 5 days. She's covered in a rash from head to toe due to the stomach virus and had her face scratched up pretty bad after another toddler clawed her over a toy stroller, she was bleeding behind her ear when I picked her up on her first day.
    Also, she had obviously been crying on and off and had a runny nose from sniffling and dried milk caked to her cheeks and mouth.. do they not wipe her face ffs?
    I am all for children in daycare, just seems my poor bubs is having a rough initiation

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS started childcare full time at 6mo and got sick for the very first time when he was 1yo.
    And I'm pretty sure he caught that from his uncle too.

I think it depends on the kid

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    DS started childcare full time at 6mo and got sick for the very first time when he was 1yo.
    And I'm pretty sure he caught that from his uncle too.

I think it depends on the kid
    I found (when working at a childcare centre) that the little ones under 12 months often escaped catching anything as they are far less interactive than the toddlers who play closely and sometimes suck on the same toys etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Well, I only had DD in for two four hour days last week and she's come away sicker than she's ever been in her life. The vomiting started 2 days after her first session and has lasted 5 days. She's covered in a rash from head to toe due to the stomach virus and had her face scratched up pretty bad after another toddler clawed her over a toy stroller, she was bleeding behind her ear when I picked her up on her first day.
    Also, she had obviously been crying on and off and had a runny nose from sniffling and dried milk caked to her cheeks and mouth.. do they not wipe her face ffs?
    I am all for children in daycare, just seems my poor bubs is having a rough initiation

Unfortunately, you've also picked the worse time of year. The start of winter is notorious for kids being sick and virus's making the rounds.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-04-2014)