+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Childcare and illness

DD, 20 months, is starting daycare, attending 2 days per week.
    For those of you with tots in care, did they they get sick at first? She has never had much more than a sniffle really and this will be her first big interactive experience with other children so I'm expecting her to pick up everything going Did yours?
    I myself have worked in childcare and during the first few months I was sicker than I've ever been, constant cold and throat infections etc. The director said at the time to expect to be sick for the first 12 months!

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our DD was sick basically continually when starting daycare. She would go for 2 days, get sick, have the next couple of days off, then repeat......we pulled her out after 18mths when it was no better.
    She has a pretty terrible immune system though!

I think they usually say the first 12 mths are the worst.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has been going for 5 months, from when he was 6 months old. He has had 1 cold so far and that's it. Not sure if it was because he was so young but I think it depends on the individual.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep my little guy started at 1 and was constantly sick for the first 6 - 8 months. It's so hard but they get through it. He's 3 now and hasn't missed a day from being sick in 12 months.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissEdinburgh For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep definitely! My 13 mo daughter has been going for 3 months and has had tonsillitis twice, gastro, colds and roseola. Prior to daycare, she'd had a couple of colds and that's it. I'm just hoping that she'll build up a good immunity from all the exposure to illness by the time she goes to school and won't miss too much school!
    Last edited by JR03; 06-04-2014 at 08:10.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they did get sick fairly often at the start. (The youngest was around 16 months when they started).

It was actually a really awful and stressful time for me because part of my anxiety when the kids were younger was avoiding germs and sickness. When I was in the depths of PND I was obsessive about it (far beyond the normal scope of worrying that most parents do about their babies getting sick.)

While they spent a lot of time sick in the early days of daycare, I couldn't really avoid sending them because I needed to get better myself and attend psychiatrist appointments..... Thankfully they seemed to get stronger and stronger immune systems with every month they went and it was sort of therapeutic for me as well. It forced me to face my fears and realise that sickness wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my mind as being.

So yes they get sick, it's rough some days and hard seeing your little one sick and with fevers but it gets better as their immune system gets stronger. My kids still go to kindy 2 days a week (3 and 4 yrs) and they are rarely sick nowadays, in fact I can't remember the last virus they picked up at daycare (it's coming on to winter so no doubt it's only a matter of time).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RipperRita For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS did go through a phase in toddlerhood of getting sick over and over, but he always recovered very quickly - I was the one getting full-on sick all the time! But in the last year (he is 3 1/2 now) he hasn't been sick at all touch wood! And I've been good too apart from a cold recently. I think it depends on the kid. There's one kid at his daycare that gets sick pretty often.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes! DS started at 8 months and was sick on and off for the first year. My Dr said it would either happen now or when they start school. He hasn't been sick once this year so his immune system must be doing it's job now

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Yep definitely! My 12 mo daughter has been going for 3 months and has had tonsillitis twice, gasyro
    Oh no, I forgot about gastro. Yuck. There was also a sign on the door of the room when we went for orientation last week stating that there had been recent cases of conjunctivitis in the centre. Fun times ahead..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 06-04-2014 at 08:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS was sick every week pretty much for the whole first year. He'd get sick, be sick at home, be better when it was time to go back and then get sick again. Very tiring! But after that he really hasn't been sick at all.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)