+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ^^^^ def this!! Our build (our house is large too) was max 14wks or else they paid us $650 per wk. was all done in just over 12wks

Me: 31, DH: 33
    DD1: 8, DD2: 6 😃
    #3 due 5th Sept 2014 ❤

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by May baby View Post
    I built almost two years ago. I'm unhappy now but only because of the area, make sure you do your research on the area your buying. We are currently looking at building again, I know I'm nuts!

The only thing I would do differently is hiring a building inspector, they will pick up on everything and make sure it's fixed. We had a gas leak in our kitchen just before Christmas...ridiculous!
    Great tip, do you hire throughout the project

Thanks
    Reviews
    You hire a inspector at the start and they will inspect at every stage, around $550 per inspection I believe but worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do you go around choosing a builder? Did you go through a company such as metricon/plantation etc and choose a house design from their stock plans/display houses? Or did you have plans drawn up by an architect to meet your specific wants and needs? DH and I keep throwing the idea around as a possibility for next year when we want to move. We want our current place to be an investment home and our next place to be our "forever home". Just not sure which is the better option financially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing ^^^ great question

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went half way between so to speak. There wasn't a design that suited us with the larger builders, but we felt going through an architect would cost too much money, so we went with a smaller builder who have one display home but who do every house a custom build/plan (one of the two owners is a draftsman). We picked this builder because we found a great existing house (3 years old or so) which we missed out on, but saw the plans with the builder's name. Benefit of a smaller builder was we had better flexibility with choosing fittings, and everything was decided prior to contract and full details/prices included in the contract.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @bezzy tell me to butt out if you like, but curiously what were the basic specs of your house - bedrooms/bathrooms/living spaces? Any extras like study and rumpus/games or man cave (my DHs ultimate wish haha). For then build alone can I ask how much it cost? I'm assuming that included everything like painting, tiling, flooring, doorknobs etc etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    @bezzy tell me to butt out if you like, but curiously what were the basic specs of your house - bedrooms/bathrooms/living spaces? Any extras like study and rumpus/games or man cave (my DHs ultimate wish haha). For then build alone can I ask how much it cost? I'm assuming that included everything like painting, tiling, flooring, doorknobs etc etc?
    No prob. House is around 340m2 (4 bed, two living areas + dining, bath, ensuite, powder room). Base price around $320k and really you could have stayed at that level if you wanted. Main items missing from that were aircon and dishwasher. Everything else is an upgrade if you want to change the look. Our house is American in style so it’s not as ******lined I guess as a typical Australian style – all the kitchen and bathroom cupboards have detailing on the doors and rangehood, taps etc which cost more. Needed that to get the style we were after. But also some of our selections were less than the standard base price so we got credit, like we didn’t want to bother with a spa bath in the ensuite, just a plain bath was fine. So all up our extras/upgrades came to around $170k. Main part where that came from was raised ceiling height, storage in garage ceiling, some slab work due to placement of our pool near the house, aircon, colorbond roof which estate required, upgrade to window design, detailed cornice, skirting, tapware, crimsafe to windows and doors, extra lights, power switches etc, tiling was a MAJOR one (we picked some expensive tiles as well as some cheaper ones but all were rectified edge which cost more to buy and to install), pool fencing, fancy doors etc in kitchen.
    It took a long time to go through and select everything but it’s been worthwhile because every little detail is in our contracts there are no prime cost/provisional items (where a certain amount is allowed for, say, tiles if you haven’t selected them prior to contract).
    We are still going through the build process, and while I’m not expecting any major cost blow-outs because of the way we’ve done to contract I’ll let you know if it all falls to you know what!
    (PS - pool, turf, boundary fencing, landscaping, curtains not included in build).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bezzy our experience was very similar to yours and we had no surprises at all so it was great

Me: 31, DH: 33
    DD1: 8, DD2: 6 😃
    #3 due 5th Sept 2014 ❤

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good to hear!!