+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneychick View Post
    Junk food like maccas isn't cheap, but healthy food like sushi is, my children love sushi
    My children love sushi too but where I was living previously you could only buy packs at $6.90 each, then if she's finished her water I also need to buy a drink $2-3 for a bottle of water. Where I am now I got DD sushi the other day, 2 hand rolls and a drink = $6.70. I took DD to a bakery buying pies for all DH's mates and let her choose what she wanted, she decided she felt like salad so they made up a take away container of sandwich fillings - $7.50!! Two party pies would have only cost $2.80. A Happy meal is $4.25, you can choose the drink (soft/calciyum/shake/juice/water) and you can even get apple slices instead of fries. Hence why I make a bigger fuss over the non-junk options being special.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenga View Post
    OP... It looks like you said the wrong thing and a whole bunch of people got all defensive & jumped on you.

I get what you are saying. I am pretty strict with what my daughter eats at 21 months. People were shocked & actually teased us that we weren't feeding her ice cream, chocolate and McDonald's at 6 months old because it's what they were doing. It's not necessary. Babies do not need these foods regardless of how much they want it or how tired you may be.. It doesn't mean my child won't ever eat those things but she doesn't need it now. My toddler is a pain in shops I have now resorted to the occasional lollipop or cheese & bacon roll to keep her still for 5 minutes. It's actually made me make better food choices for myself because she wants what we have.
    I don't see them as jumping on me, they just assume I'm judging randoms not my friends.

And yeah I get exactly that. I don't mind toddlers eating the occasional junk, I spent a couple months recently (and still stay often with) a friend who has two toddlers and he has given them that sort of thing while were out tosh it them up too, but they're 3 and 4, not a baby (which is where I'm mainly not sure about the junk - why does a baby need to eat it yet?)

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I don't see them as jumping on me, they just assume I'm judging randoms not my friends.

And yeah I get exactly that. I don't mind toddlers eating the occasional junk, I spent a couple months recently (and still stay often with) a friend who has two toddlers and he has given them that sort of thing while were out tosh it them up too, but they're 3 and 4, not a baby (which is where I'm mainly not sure about the junk - why does a baby need to eat it yet?)

Thats just it thougj -you dont need to be ok with it. Its not your child, so not your choice. Live and let live. People shouldn't have to justify or explain why they choose the things they do.

I dont feed my baby junk either but I also have 2 older kids. So yup my 9 month old has eaten a chocolate tiny teddy, he's stollen a nugget off their plates. He eats chips on the occasion we have take away. And yup, he had mac and cheese for dinner too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    It's easy when there is no junk food around ie: young children, no older kids eating rubbish infront of them, no parties, no school, no friends to hang out with...always supervised etc. But wait till that all changes and they get older, see what friends are eating, invited to parties (even maccas and hj's), when kids start noticing food courts and what others are indulging in etc...
    I wrapped my first two kids in cotton wool and never allowed junk food before they got exposed to it as they grew older. Now my 15yo spends all his pocket money and b'day money on rubbish and won't take a made lunch to school, won't eat breakfast, won't eat dinner hardly either. I was the same as a teen and now as an adult I love my healthy food.
    It may be easy now op, but 'never say never'....
    I totally understand (I've always been unhealthy and my mum bribed me with chocolate and coke as I was growing up) and I know I will give DD junk when she's a kid and whatnot but as a baby? My main questioning is for babies (I think I should have been clearer in my OP lol)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

ozeymumof5  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    I once told an old woman who had a go at me for FF that I was born without nipples and thanked her for reminding me that I couldn't breastfeed despite desperately wanting to.

I of course do have nipples and was actually feeding ds1 a bottle of expressed milk.

It was worth it to see her stumble over an apology. Maybe next time she will keep her mouth shut.
    Haha that's a good one to remember

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have to agree with you OP. I find the whole idea of giving babies junk food appalling. My kids didnt have any junk food (as in mcdonalds, chocolate etc) until well after their second birthday (with the exception of birthday cake...though it was a wholemeal banana cake).

I made all of their food from scratch and they only ate fresh fruit and veg and homemade dinners and baked goods. I even made homemade juice and iceblocks.

Now, my kids are 3y and 5y and yes they eat some junk but only as a treat and i still make most of their food.

Ive seen my kids (at birthday parties) reach over the lollies and junk to get the fruit and quite often my kids will say 'no thanks, i just want water' if i offer them juice.

We need to teach our children what good food is and that bad food is for a TREAT!!! We live in a world where there is so much bad food out there and its so easily available that is really is so important that we teach our children about food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Didn't read all the replies, but my kiddies eat anything and everything, good bad and otherwise. My only real NO WAY is coke at this point. Everything else is cool in moderation.

When my 4 year old had his health check at needle time, he was asked what his favourite thing to eat for dinner was, and his answer, I kid you not, was "veggies". God love him. We have takeaway at least twice a week, and his answer was veggies. So I think they're doing ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post

We need to teach our children what good food is and that bad food is for a TREAT!!! We live in a world where there is so much bad food out there and its so easily available that is really is so important that we teach our children about food.
    I disagree about telling kids junk food is a treat / in theory your sort of saying its a reward - I think it's better to say "sometimes food " or party food , sometimes I make desert, sometimes not - DS dose not expect it , same if we get a juice at the juice bar, sometimes we do sometimes we don't - I agree to teach them about food but not reward them with food if that makes sense!

DH parents used to take them to mcdonalds every Friday night as a treat - when they were kids , as soon as he could drive he used to get mcdonalds every day for lunch , it took him a few years to realise how bad the food was for him and that it definitely was not a treat!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (07-04-2014),Stretched  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I used to be really anal with dd and what she ate as a baby. She only had water or milk to drink and rarely any crap. Now shes nearly 4 and I'm a lot more lax with it. She has lollies too often and a little juice as a treat when we are out. She has a happy meal but hardly eats it more just wants the toy! Everything in moderation I say, she loves veggies and fruit and eats heaps of healthy food too and is a healthy weight so meh!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    I dont use the words good or bad when describing food. I'd rather talk to my kids about how some foods are healthier than others and help them grow and stay healthy where as some foods may taste yummy but they dont give our bodies the right type of fuel that it needs to function properly.

I watched my little sister grow up to never be allowed junk. She is 14 now. And she barely leaves the food table at parties.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Funnels  (07-04-2014),Stretched  (07-04-2014)