+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's easy when there is no junk food around ie: young children, no older kids eating rubbish infront of them, no parties, no school, no friends to hang out with...always supervised etc. But wait till that all changes and they get older, see what friends are eating, invited to parties (even maccas and hj's), when kids start noticing food courts and what others are indulging in etc...
    I wrapped my first two kids in cotton wool and never allowed junk food before they got exposed to it as they grew older. Now my 15yo spends all his pocket money and b'day money on rubbish and won't take a made lunch to school, won't eat breakfast, won't eat dinner hardly either. I was the same as a teen and now as an adult I love my healthy food.
    It may be easy now op, but 'never say never'....

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-04-2014),CMF  (07-04-2014),Sonja  (06-04-2014)

lexim is offline Winner 2013 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I've heard of nutbags telling mums off at shopping centres for formula feeding so I need a comeback for if it ever happens to me. I'd like to think I could just stare at them and say "F... Off". (But probably I'd just cry).
    I once told an old woman who had a go at me for FF that I was born without nipples and thanked her for reminding me that I couldn't breastfeed despite desperately wanting to.

I of course do have nipples and was actually feeding ds1 a bottle of expressed milk.

It was worth it to see her stumble over an apology. Maybe next time she will keep her mouth shut.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to lexim For This Useful Post:

Bennos Mummy  (07-04-2014),Chippa  (06-04-2014),delirium  (06-04-2014),Gothel  (07-04-2014),GreenMama  (06-04-2014),headoverfeet  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014),KillerHeels  (06-04-2014),Little Boys Blue  (06-04-2014),Lottiemum  (07-04-2014),mum2twinboys  (06-04-2014),ozeymumof5  (06-04-2014),Purple Lily  (06-04-2014),Smyles  (07-04-2014),Wise Enough  (06-04-2014),~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post
    I once told an old woman who had a go at me for FF that I was born without nipples and thanked her for reminding me that I couldn't breastfeed despite desperately wanting to.

I of course do have nipples and was actually feeding ds1 a bottle of expressed milk.

It was worth it to see her stumble over an apology. Maybe next time she will keep her mouth shut.
    Hahahahaha, I love this! I would have paid money to see her reaction!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lexim View Post

My medication means that breastfeeding wasn't an option. I've had one old bat have a go at me for giving my daughter a bottle at the shops and I just said really politely 'oh that's great you seem to know a lot about this. Tell me, I have a medical condition that requires me to take certain medication or I'll die. But I can't breastfeed on that medication. So, should I come off it, breastfeed for a week and die and let my daughter grow up without a mother, or should I feed formula, live a long and happy life and be around to help raise my grandchildren?' She started to apologise and I lost it and yelled that new mums have enough sh*t to deal with and she could shove her opinion up her ar$e.
    She left pretty quickly after that...

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (07-04-2014),headoverfeet  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014),Lottiemum  (07-04-2014),ozeymumof5  (06-04-2014),~Marigold~  (06-04-2014)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OP, maybe just ask these people you know that do it? simplest way to get an answer, cause my reason or anyone on this forums reason will likely be different.

really tho, it's no one's business what other's do.

try to ask without a tone of superiority that you've used here.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (06-04-2014),GreenMama  (06-04-2014),Happymum2  (07-04-2014),Lauzy  (06-04-2014),LoveLivesHere  (06-04-2014),mum2twinboys  (06-04-2014),nellk  (07-04-2014),NurseAnni  (07-04-2014),Purple Lily  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Laziness, time poor and allergies. That's us! Laziness if I'm tired DD gets something less than ideal. If DH and I have to work late and it's close to bed time we get nuggets and fries for her dinner (then fruit to finish).

So DD can sometimes have that from maccas but nothing else. The only treat she gets is teddy bear armotts biscuits usually but can't have chocolate yoghurt or cheese, as she is intolerant to dairy.

Is allergic to nuts and sesame and peanuts, so that rules out all fast food burgers due to the seeds.

The way I see it she is so limited in so many ways she can eat so much so I allow hot chops every time we are ever out an they are available, but I limit junky snacks so there's some balance still.

I wish I had the energy an inclination to cook healthy foods all nights and for lunches for her but I just don't but she's still healthy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ozeymumof5 View Post
    It's easy when there is no junk food around ie: young children, no older kids eating rubbish infront of them, no parties, no school, no friends to hang out with...always supervised etc. But wait till that all changes and they get older, see what friends are eating, invited to parties (even maccas and hj's), when kids start noticing food courts and what others are indulging in etc...
    I wrapped my first two kids in cotton wool and never allowed junk food before they got exposed to it as they grew older. Now my 15yo spends all his pocket money and b'day money on rubbish and won't take a made lunch to school, won't eat breakfast, won't eat dinner hardly either. I was the same as a teen and now as an adult I love my healthy food.
    It may be easy now op, but 'never say never'....
    This is exactly what I think is going to happen to me. It's so much easier at the moment because 11 month DS' only influence when it comes to food is DP and I and DP basically does whatever I say when it comes to food. I'm loving that I don't have to worry about marketing or peer pressure or anything like that but I'm realistic enough to know that it won't be forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another example...my cousin was born with extreme allergies to EVERYTHING and bizarrely one of the few things that he can eat is Maccas fries. Only the fries. We went out for dinner one night with his family and they had to get maccas fries for him to eat with a side of plain green beans at the restaraunt and that was the only thing he could eat while we all had amazing yummy meals. So that's another thought too. I would prefer to take my children somewhere like that I that scenario so my child could feel included with his siblings then to isolate him further!
    On another note I work in Childcare. I sometimes don't leave work with my children until after 7. I quite often have to catch public transport. If I don't have anything quick to eat in the cupboard or fridge I will quite happily buy my 3yr old a happy meal to eat as it means she can eat it quickly and go to bed rather than torturing the both of us while I try and cook something healthy so she doesn't end up in bed until 9-10pm!!! I would rather her be fed and asleep so she's not overtired and struggling at Childcare the next day from exhaustion! You can judge me all you want. I used to try and always take healthy meals with me everywhere and never allow my daughter juice or lollies blah blah blah. As your child gets older sometimes it's just not worth it. As long as they have a consistent healthy diet I don't care if she eats the odd happy meal or if she is having a healthy lunch when we go out then she can have a milk shake. It's all about balance!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bumpmakes2 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good gracious me!!! Peanutmonkey u did your best last week with the PND do not feel guilty.
    Aren't we all on this site so we support each other and not judge, it seems everyone has commented on their family and the eating habits come on we all do a great job. Junk food like maccas isn't cheap, but healthy food like sushi is, my children love sushi and we do not purchase juice only plain milk etc and the fruit bowl is always full and gets replenished a few times a week. When I grew up my mother was scared I wasn't allowed any junk etc or a hint of sugar in any food at all so I loved the stuff as it was banned. But my children are allowed the odd treat its ok I don't want to bring them up like I was.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sydneychick For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneychick View Post
    Good gracious me!!! Peanutmonkey u did your best last week with the PND do not feel guilty.
    Aren't we all on this site so we support each other and not judge, it seems everyone has commented on their family and the eating habits come on we all do a great job. Junk food like maccas isn't cheap, but healthy food like sushi is, my children love sushi and we do not purchase juice only plain milk etc and the fruit bowl is always full and gets replenished a few times a week. When I grew up my mother was scared I wasn't allowed any junk etc or a hint of sugar in any food at all so I loved the stuff as it was banned. But my children are allowed the odd treat its ok I don't want to bring them up like I was.
    This! We were rarely allowed junk so as I got older I would binge on it when I had the chance. My dd will happily eat veges and fruit but will also happily eat chicken nuggets and chips. I don't mind her having the other because I know she eats a lot more of the healthier stuff. An even if someone isn't making those same decisions, it is THEIR Choice! We have no right to judge someone when we do not always know the circumstances