+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See different strokes. I would fly to the moon and back before giving my kids McDonald's but a piece of fairy bread I can live with.
    My children react to certain additives. It's not a matter of different strokes or finding it within my values to give it to them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We encourage my daughter to eat a variety of different foods. She is only 11 months, so if I feed her unhealthy foods it is my choice, I am not being pressured by her, nor is she put in the situation where she can choose to eat unhealthily. So while I have complete control over her diet, we choose to eat healthy. I also don't understand the motive of offering a child who doesn't know any better unhealthy food constantly. I do however understand the woman who has a screaming child that refuses to eat, the woman who takes her kids to McDonalds because she just needs a break, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dee1 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Like everyone else has said, moderation.
    I remember with dd when she was a toddler, she would never get junk food, but when it came to parties etc. she would go nuts on it and I'd have to stop her from making herself sick. So when ds came along I became much more relaxed in them having treats, and now dd isn't like a raving zombie when it comes to treats/junk food, and she will quite often go for the healthy option on her own accord. And ds has never been too fussed about junk food, he doesn't even really like chocolate! Because it's always been there as an option (occasionally) it's nothing that special, and they would prefer a home cooked meal most of the time

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    My children react to certain additives. It's not a matter of different strokes or finding it within my values to give it to them.
    I have the same with DD and MSG so prefer her to fill up on lollies rather than bbq chips at a party. She ate crackers with MSG about 6 months ago and, now she's older, was aware of how she reacted (adhd type behavior, unable to control herself/calm down) and she hated it. Since then she's become really vigilant in asking me before she takes a handful of chips. As I said in my PP, nothing junk/not junk is off the table as a rule and restricting foods with MSG has nothing to do with my values either.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (07-04-2014),headoverfeet  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    See different strokes. I would fly to the moon and back before giving my kids McDonald's but a piece of fairy bread I can live with.
    I am the same
    Luckily DS has no allergies/ reactions to anything - even at parties though he'd much prefer to play that eat , he's definitely not the kid to scoff all the lollies ( and we have giant lolly buffets at our parties!)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 06-04-2014 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Because I can

We believe in everything in moderation. Plus we have a son with SPD whom getting him to eat at all is a challenge. So im the loony jumping up and down when he eats something new, whether it be healthy or not.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Just thought I'd add that my kids had mac and cheese for dinner 3 times last week. I'd had an awful week with my PND and cooking a big healthy dinner wasnt something I could cope with at the end of a long day - so they had packet mac and cheese. There are much worse things I could do as a parent.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (06-04-2014),Chippa  (06-04-2014),cluckcluck  (06-04-2014),Purple Lily  (06-04-2014),Stretched  (07-04-2014),Wise Enough  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I am the same
    Luckily DS has no allergies/ reactions to anything - even at parties though he'd much prefer to play that eat , he's definitely not the kid to scoff all the lollies ( and we have giant lolly buffets at our parties!)
    Yeah mine are the same. I guess I wasn't really thinking about kids with allergies when I made my initial comment as mostly the ones I know don't have them. Mine are always the last at the table as they're too busy playing. As for lolly bags we don't do them anymore. DS had a sports party for his 3rd birthday recently and we gave all the kids a footy with my son's name and dob on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are a multitude of reasons. Health, nutrition and the emotion that goes along with it are extremely complex. Every child and every parent is different and there are a million factors that go into something that seems so straightforward. Personally, it is a losing battle for me. I was obsessed with junk food as a child and unfortunately my DD is the same. You can't isolate them from it as they get older, and who knows whether withholding it from them completely is the best approach, or as others have said allowing it in moderation will hopefully lessen the obsession. Or perhaps there is nothing that can be done and it is best to just embrace it and let the guilt and emotion go. I don't know.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I pretty strict with what my kids eat so basically only homemade and with minimal sugar/salt. But I have the time, inclination, no personal health issues to prevent me from cooking everything.

But my kids do get a babycino once a week (I confiscate the marshmallows) and a sushi roll if out and about.

I get flamed from my in laws cos my kids don't get to eat chocolate, pre bought cakes and biscuits, soft drinks and juices. I just had to have an argument with mil about Easter eggs. They forget that dh set up half these food rules. Sigh.

I personally am not fussed what other parents do. But I know if my kids eat crapola they sleep less. And I like the fact my 3.5yo still naps 1.5-2hrs everyday and still has her 11 overnight. So if that means I'm the grinch that stole morning tea... Oh well I don't care.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)