+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are exposed to a wide variety of foods and yes that includes junk food. They know that's it's a sometimes food and that it's ok to eat in small amounts. If they ask for something to eat for a snack 99.9% of the time they'll choose fruit or yoghurt over a packet of chips or a lolly.

I really don't pay any attention to what other people feed their children, I'm sure MOST parents are just trying to do their best and it's an accomplishment if their child eats anything at all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-04-2014),delirium  (05-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    My parents were strict on junk food. When I got a job at 15 I would buy a donut/mars bar and a can of coke for myself every day, I would clear through chips and chocolate at an amazing rate. It was my teen rebellion via food!

I'm determined to expose my children to all food, I talk about nutrients in the food (or lack of) but even hate to use terms like 'healthy' and never refer to food as good/fun/bad/evil etc. I make sure that they consider a mango as much of a treat as a can of lemonade. I don't deny them.junk but it's not a reward or treat.
    This is me totally. I used to go to kids parties and spend the whole 2 hours parked at the food table scoffing into lollies and junk while the other kids hardly cared. When I moved out I ate heaps of junk and it felt so liberating.

That's why I'm also big on moderation. Some chocolate or a cheese burger is not going to hurt my child if they have had good food for the last week. IMHO extreme restricting often has the opposite effect.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (06-04-2014),Boobycino  (06-04-2014),btmacxxx  (05-04-2014),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (05-04-2014),dollypops  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014),Jarylee  (06-04-2014),ozeymumof5  (05-04-2014),Sonja  (05-04-2014),Stretched  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My SIL has a 9mnth old bubba who eats a lot of rubbish for the simple reason that MIL believes that its mean to eat something in front of a baby and not give them some. I don't get that at all! I can eat absolute rubbish and 11mnth old DD will happily munch on a tomato wedge. She has no clue that she is eating healthy. So when I do know the circumstance I do judge. And I don't feed DD any junk food. What I really don't get is people trying to feed my baby rubbish when they know I am against it. That's a whole other level of judgy right there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes me too, we were only allowed health food (a carob frog was considered a chocolatey treat and frozen yoghurt instead of ice cream).

So in high school I ate sausage rolls and chocolate cake from the canteen every day.

In my early twenties I ate MacDonalds 3 times a week.

DH was allowed to have everything in moderation (he was the kid with the occasional mini chip packet in his lunch) and he is slim and eats much better than me now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    This is me totally. I used to go to kids parties and spend the whole 2 hours parked at the food table scoffing into lollies and junk while the other kids hardly cared. When I moved out I ate heaps of junk and it felt so liberating.

That's why I'm also big on moderation. Some chocolate or a cheese burger is not going to hurt my child if they have had good food for the last week. IMHO extreme restricting often has the opposite effect.
    I agree with this. With 4 kids we've held and been to enough birthday parties that I can now usually spot the kids who are never allowed junk food - they often go insane when they are surrounded by the stuff.

OP I get what you mean about babies, and to a degree you are right as a baby's gut is still developing so to fill it with sugar or salt just seems wrong. It's funny - my older 3 love junk to varying degrees but because we do BLW it actually forces them to eat better. Because I won't let DD3 eat cr@p (yet ) I won't let the other 3 eat it near her.

Life's too short to try and understand why other parents do what they do. Be the best parent YOU want to be and leave the rest to work it out for themselves I say.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree with this. With 4 kids we've held and been to enough birthday parties that I can now usually spot the kids who are never allowed junk food - they often go insane when they are surrounded by the stuff.
    My kids have junk food (maccas, that sort of stuff) but I have always restricted party food as it is full of additives that my children react to. When I am buying take away or stuff from the shop it's easy for me to know whats in it. Party food is very hard to monitor and I find it really embarrassing that my kids go crazy at parties over party food. The alternative is I am the mum that looks like I dont like my kids eating party food or we dont go to parties. The other day DS2 bought home a party bag from school for god sake, there was 4 serbet items in it- sugar with additives..my favourite

Once again, another reason not to judge

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Once we were out shopping and I forgot Ds1&2 water at home ( straw/sip cup). They were both very thirty so I had to buy them those pop top character juices because if I had of bought bottled water they would have spilt it everywhere ( I could only find screw top water, not pop top water).
    I was wondering if other mothers were judging me for giving them that horrible juice.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As for the OP we practice the 80/20 rule (from about 1.5-2yrs). 80% of the time our diet is healthy, the other 20% involves not so good food choices (which could range from maccas to a dinner at home without a huge serve of veg/salad as usual). My kids still see maccas etc as a treat so I know we dont have it too often, and they'd rather have sushi from the school canteen rather than the other not so good options.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    My kids have junk food (maccas, that sort of stuff) but I have always restricted party food as it is full of additives that my children react to. When I am buying take away or stuff from the shop it's easy for me to know whats in it. Party food is very hard to monitor and I find it really embarrassing that my kids go crazy at parties over party food. The alternative is I am the mum that looks like I dont like my kids eating party food or we dont go to parties. The other day DS2 bought home a party bag from school for god sake, there was 4 serbet items in it- sugar with additives..my favourite

Once again, another reason not to judge
    See different strokes. I would fly to the moon and back before giving my kids McDonald's but a piece of fairy bread I can live with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tildy View Post
    What I really don't get is people trying to feed my baby rubbish when they know I am against it. That's a whole other level of judgy right there.
    exactly this. I find it is usually family members too. My DD is 29 months and didn't touch junk food for her first year. I remember bringing pumpkin soup in to maccas while we all ate from there when she was about 8 months i think. I find the ones who listen least to your wishes regarding the raising of your own children tend to be your own parents and your parents in law, as they have a mentality that they are the parent (as i guess they have been to you or your partner), and forget that you are actually in charge of their grandchildren - not them!

by the way, DD now has the occasional junk food while out, or lollies on the odd occasion. Most nights though, we have home-cooked healthy food, and at childcare it has to be of a particular nutritional standard.
    Last edited by jussi; 05-04-2014 at 21:48.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jussi For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014),Tildy  (05-04-2014)