+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I can confirm you have not yet reached the hippy threshold.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well my DD barely eats, so if we go out for lunch and she choses a hot chip over a piece of carrot then you will see me doing a little happy dance. Not because of her choice, but because she has put some damn food in her mouth!

I don't judge, I'm hard enough on myself as a parent to worry about what other kids eat.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond  (05-04-2014),cluckcluck  (05-04-2014),gizmoduckus  (06-04-2014),glittertg  (05-04-2014),snowqu33n  (06-04-2014),Wise Enough  (05-04-2014),~Marigold~  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience, kids end up eating in a similar way to their parents, so if the kids are always eating junk the parents probably are too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dollypops For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (05-04-2014)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You know what I was thinking the other day? I want to open up a take away food outlet that just caters for little kids! It is soooo hard to find something suitable for DD to eat when we're out and about, in food courts and the like. There just aren't many options for toddlers. My 20 month old likes to eat platter type finger food, like a plate with fresh sliced tomatoes, baby corn spears, baby carrot, cucumber slices and ham etc. but you can't even get anything close to that type of stuff in a food court. I will sometimes get her a little container of fruit salad from the healthier sandwich/deli outlets, but often she wants "real" food so she'll have hot chips. There's really nothing else around..I tend to go for sushi in a food court but she doesn't like that, either.
    In saying that, yeah she might be seen eating hot chips but it is only a tiny fraction of her usual diet and perhaps once a week or so.
    I opt for water or milk 99% of the time, but she loves tasting my drinks so you might even see her having a sip through a straw of my soda. Doesn't mean it's her usual. Best not to make assumptions in public. But as for your referral to your friend's almost exclusively giving their kids junk, that doesn't seem like a good idea..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    In my experience, kids end up eating in a similar way to their parents, so if the kids are always eating junk the parents probably are too.
    Totally agree - the friends I have whose kids eat mcdonalds also eat it - the ones who don't , their kids don't even know it exists or think it tastes like crap anyway and don't want to eat it - I don't understand the easy and convenience factor either, there are plenty of other food choices when your out and about

OP - I was really strict with DS before 2 , we don't eat fast food or have chips/chocolate in the house except for parties or if we are entertaining

after 2 , I let him try/have desserts when we were out or the odd juice at the local shopping centre ( watermelon, carrot and pineapple!) his grandparents let him have ice cream or buy him the odd lolly ( which is the fun of being a grandparent !!) and now at. 3.5 he still is a great eater but the odd juice or choccy or party food at parties is fine , fast food, soft drink and processed meats are the only thing I'm still restricting and I'm hoping like my niece who is now 9 has a great love of food and different cuisines so whenever her friends get mcdonalds when they are out she gets sushi !
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 05-04-2014 at 19:26.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    You know what I was thinking the other day? I want to open up a take away food outlet that just caters for little kids! It is soooo hard to find something suitable for DD to eat when we're out and about, in food courts and the like. There just aren't many options for toddlers. My 20 month old likes to eat platter type finger food, like a plate with fresh sliced tomatoes, baby corn spears, baby carrot, cucumber slices and ham etc. but you can't even get anything close to that type of stuff in a food court. I will sometimes get her a little container of fruit salad from the healthier sandwich/deli outlets, but often she wants "real" food so she'll have hot chips. There's really nothing else around..I tend to go for sushi in a food court but she doesn't like that, either.
    In saying that, yeah she might be seen eating hot chips but it is only a tiny fraction of her usual diet and perhaps once a week or so.
    I opt for water or milk 99% of the time, but she loves tasting my drinks so you might even see her having a sip through a straw of my soda. Doesn't mean it's her usual. Best not to make assumptions in public. But add for your referral to your friend's almost exclusively giving their kids junk, that doesn't seem like a good idea..

"Life Is Ours, We Live It Our Way".
    Find a Lebanese/ kebab shop - mini falafels or lentil rice or Lebanese bread with tzatiki or hummus are perfect - one of DS fav foods is a falafel kebab with tabouli and hummus

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014),~Marigold~  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was always really proud that my daughter only drinks milk and water but last year she got very sick (she was 2) and the pediatricians at the hospital were adamant that we start getting her used to juice, jelly and ice blocks. It's fine if they get told it's a treat but for her it could have made the difference between being hospitalised and not being hospitalised. She wouldn't touch any of them. So now she sometimes has 'rosy tea' (watered down apple and blackcurrant juice) and gets told it's a special treat so she rarely refuses it, and I feel like I've got a bit of a safety net if she gets sick again

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pandamonium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (05-04-2014),αληθη  (07-04-2014),Maia  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I give that food to my kids because I think it's yummy and occasionally it's nice to have a treat.

I couldn't care less what judgemental people think when they see me giving my kids junk. My kids my choice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (06-04-2014),Wise Enough  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez, I got abused in a food court recently for feeding my 11mo a bottle of formula. We also bought her a toasted cheese sandwich as she is currently bread obsessed. I spend freaking hours in the kitchen cooking stuff for her, and this woman made a snap judgement on my parenting and tore me a new one. (To add insult to injury, she attacked me for my parenting and said nothing to DH, cos you know, raising kids is woman's work.....)
    OP I understand what you're asking. I guess the point at which everyone draws the line on what is healthy and what is unhealthy for their kids is different....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Whaaaaat? How ridiculous. I'd like to see somewhen try that on me when my kids are having a happy meal & coke. I'd have to slap a bi*ch!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (07-04-2014),VicPark  (05-04-2014)