+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Yeah, I would proceed with caution in making assumptions.

My daughter if often seen eating chips and nuggets in food courts, because she won't eat anything else. She is fussy and stubborn in the extreme. (I piped mashed vegetables into penne pasta the other night to get veges into her. She is 4).

A friend of mine is a special ed teacher and one of her students with autism would only eat chicken skin. You can't see autism so you might just have thought she was feeding her kids something that is absolute rubbish. But, she was feeding him. Full stop.
    I thought the OP was talking about babies that she knew? I have dear friends whose children are on the spectrum/have food aversions etc... and that wasn't what I was referring to in my post.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I thought the OP was talking about babies that she knew? I have dear friends whose children are on the spectrum/have food aversions etc... and that wasn't what I was referring to in my post.
    I suppose I was just talking generally about making assumptions on what people feed their kids, even when you are out and about. Even with people that you do know, you can know them, but not necessarily know them their lives IYKWIM.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I am referring to babies and parents I know very well, not judging those while I'm out and see in passing.

And no I'm not patting myself on the back, I really don't understand giving my baby junk all the time?

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (05-04-2014),Renn  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2yo DS eats everything. Healthy and unhealthy in moderation.

He drinks juice. He eats better then most toddlers I know so whatever.

Why? Because I believe in moderation and I have noticed that he is very smart and decides well what to eat. I believe I a child is kept from certain a foods then they will want to go overboard when available. So it's a non event.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Busy Bee For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (05-04-2014),snowqu33n  (05-04-2014),Wise Enough  (05-04-2014),~Marigold~  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend not to judge others if I'm only seeing them in one instance. You don't know if in that moment they are having their weekly treat or the parent just wants some peace. I remember with my first child I was ridiculously strict. I freaked out when a relative offered her a candy cane at the age of 3 because "my child didn't eat junk food". Things change though and now with my third child I am much more relaxed. The reason mainly comes from having older siblings - she wants everything they have and it's hard to say no all the time. I know my children have a great diet and enjoy a variety of foods so yes chances are when we are out at a cafe, one or more if my children will be enjoying a milkshake and/or hot chips and nuggets and I don't feel bad about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FlipFlop For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I suppose I was just talking generally about making assumptions on what people feed their kids, even when you are out and about. Even with people that you do know, you can know them, but not necessarily know them their lives IYKWIM.
    Yeah and I do agree, I just worry about the issue of childhood obesity and wonder as a community what we can do about it. Which I know is probably OT but surely the "why's" do have to come into the discussion.

I feel a bit like, "you don't know so don't judge" a bit, well counter productive, especially if the question is coming from a place of genuine concern and curiosity rather than from the "Bad mother judgy wudgy" club IYKWIM?

I dunno, it's a tough one, that's for sure.

ETA - I was once absolutely reamed in a food court for "Feeding such a tiny baby MacDonalds!!!111!!" It was DS2 who was 18 months but the size of a 6 month old (Prem) munching on a few of DH's chips! So I get the misplaced judgement.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 05-04-2014 at 16:20.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Dreamer1  (05-04-2014),αληθη  (05-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I understand where you're coming from. My daughter is 13 months and so far is blissfully unaware that "junk food" exists. We were at a BBQ with my mothers group today and all the kids were eating chips and biscuits and she was walking around with them eating her avocado sandwich and later grapes. At her age, she doesn't know that she's eating something different, but as she gets older and starts to notice, I don't have a problem with her having some party food when we're out and some other treats every now and then. We offered her her first hot chip last night, and she spat it out in disgust! So I'm hoping that she might be a kid who makes her own healthy choices, but either way, I'll be there to educate and guide her.

I don't care what other mums feed their kids though, I know in my own family, my sister battles PND and has 2 fussy eaters so they eat a lot of junk but I figure food just isn't a battle that she's willing to take on. They're loved, have a roof over their head and are fed - as long as they're getting those basics, it's not my place to judge.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (06-04-2014),Funnels  (05-04-2014),gizmoduckus  (06-04-2014),αληθη  (05-04-2014),jesssalee  (05-04-2014),ozeymumof5  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    Am I just overly cautious in trying to give DD the healthiest stuff? .
    I realise every parent makes different decisions to suit them. But you are not alone, we don't do junk food. Maybe once in a blue moon, but I simply don't see the need for it despite any age .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fullofhope For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (05-04-2014)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    We have everything here too. We have one night a week for takeaway, and then if I'm having a hard night with DD and can't get into the kitchen to cook (she's high dependency) then I'll do something really easy, no thought required for the boys (think canned spaghetti or similar, so no- not great healthy foods, but food) and maybe some toast for DD and then DF and I will eat once they're in bed.

Why do others do it? Might be the same reason as us, might be something completely different. Some people honestly just don't know- they have never had that education.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do everything here too We feed DD lots of healthy food so I don't see the harm in the occasional junk food. It's usually when we're traveling or out in public, so when we're most likely to be judged lol.
    My mum is a health nut and to be honest I think being too strict is detrimental to a healthy outlook on food and eating. I don't want Dd to obsess about every mouthful of food, I want her to have a wide variety, and I want her to enjoy food (mum used to say anything that tastes nice is bad for you).