+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    everything in moderation...i dont want my kids growing up thinking certain foods are "bad"...i know ppl who basically ban all junk and whenever we have a party those particular children act like sharks at a feeding frenzy pushing and shoving other children out of the way to get to the lollies ....im not exaggerating, they literally shovel in handful after handful and the bowl is empty within seconds...its sad. i am mindful about trying to limit it but some days i do really well and other days not so well...

and yes when i go out i do give my kids milkshakes etc cos it does keep them occupied while i can drink a coffee in peace..when we go grocery shopping i let my kids have a lollipop because it keeps them occupied..shopping with two kids under 4 is a nightmare and i use it to get the job done...i had a friend "judge" me recently about that and i was like mmmm youve got one child ive got two you go shopping alone while your dh minds him so dont judge me until youve walked in my shoes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree op. Dh and I eat pretty healthy ourselves so it was inevitable that our children would be brought up with good eating habits too. From day dot they have been eating healthy. For the first few years they had no chocolate or lollies at all. Very little fruit juice and definately no fizzy drinks and still don't now. Plenty of fruit and veg, natural sugar is much better than artificial. When ds1 was 3 he was allowed the odd lolly or piece of chocolate and that was enough as because he was used to having it often he wasn't interested. I had a few mothers tell me that his healthy eating will change as he gets older but they haven't. He is 6 next month and is still a very healthy eater and must be learning about food at school because he is coming home saying what is good and bad to eat in which we have never told him, we've just fed him the right foods. Since this though I have explained that some foods aren't good to have often and why but ok to have occassionally rather than these foods are good and these foods are bad. Ds2 is 3 and he's a healthy eater also.

I don't see going out as an excuse either to allow them to be fed garbage. I'm well prepared with food from home for the kids when we go out, I don't need to buy them crap while out.

1 in 4 Western Australian children are obese leading to lots of problems such as diabetes and the fear many of those children won't outlive their parents, it's alarming! Not sure what the stats are in other states.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 07-04-2014 at 11:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post
    everything in moderation...i dont want my kids growing up thinking certain foods are "bad"...i know ppl who basically ban all junk and whenever we have a party those particular children act like sharks at a feeding frenzy pushing and shoving other children out of the way to get to the lollies ....im not exaggerating, they literally shovel in handful after handful and the bowl is empty within seconds...its sad. i am mindful about trying to limit it but some days i do really well and other days not so well...

and yes when i go out i do give my kids milkshakes etc cos it does keep them occupied while i can drink a coffee in peace..when we go grocery shopping i let my kids have a lollipop because it keeps them occupied..shopping with two kids under 4 is a nightmare and i use it to get the job done...i had a friend "judge" me recently about that and i was like mmmm youve got one child ive got two you go shopping alone while your dh minds him so dont judge me until youve walked in my shoes!
    Sorry but what a load of c***! We had ds2's birthday party on the weekend in which birthday parties are an exception in my book for the kids to eat junk and as much as they want. My boys didn't ho in on the lollies or any of the other foods they generally don't eat like animals! They had a few lollies in which they were happy with because that's all they wanted. They don't miss something they don't often have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Sorry but what a load of c***! We had ds2's birthday party on the weekend in which birthday parties are an exception in my book for the kids to eat junk and as much as they want. My boys didn't ho in on the lollies or any of the other foods they generally don't eat like animals! They had a few lollies in which they were happy with because that's all they wanted. They don't miss something they don't often have!
    Just because your children dont do it doesn't mean other kids wont either. I dont think its nice to essentially call other posters liars.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Just because your children dont do it doesn't mean other kids wont either. I dont think its nice to essentially call other posters liars.

But it's ok to imply healthy eaters at a party are like sharks at a feeding frenzy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey, i was talking about MY personal experience (which ive seen on every occasion with the particular kids im thinking about).....so no its NOT a load of **** to me thanks ....have your opinion but please do you have to be so undermining when you quote someone else..really!

moving on..........

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    But it's ok to imply healthy eaters at a party are like sharks at a feeding frenzy?
    Did she say your children are that way? No, she didnt. She said she witnessed it. As have I. Does that mean all kids do? Of course not. But saying someone is full of c*** because your children are different is just uncalled for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh my gods sake did i say it was YOUR children....? come on.....MOVE ON.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i will clarify....the behaviour was ODD, they were physically pushing other children out of the way to get to the lollies....im sorry but i find that behaviour very OTT. i would be upset if my children acted that like that..thats all. end of story now.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I am referring to babies and parents I know very well, not judging those while I'm out and see in passing.

And no I'm not patting myself on the back, I really don't understand giving my baby junk all the time?

Sent from my talky stick with a minion glued to me.
    Sorry, haven't read through all posts.

I give my kids junk because they're hungry and I have gone out in a rush unprepared. I work 2 jobs and have 3 kids, I'm a bit stretched and I'm comfortable with the fact that I need to cut corners that I didn't when I didn't work. I give them junk as a treat. I give them junk because it's easy. I can tell from your op that you only have 1 child. In my experience, 2nd or 3rd children often get exposed to 'junk' younger because they want what their siblings are having and the mother us just a bit busier.

Don't worry about what other people do unless it is genuinely putting the child at immediate risk.