+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone else TTC with a FIFO partner?

Hi all

My Husband works FIFO on a 2 week on 1 week off roster. I'm 34 and he's 26. We've just started TTC and the one thing I am getting myself in a tizz over is how difficult it's might be due to the timing aspect of when he is home! Obviously there will be some months he is home at just the right time, but there will probably be more months when he's not

Is anyone else in the same boat, or been in that same situation? Did it all just work itself out? I don't know whether to get DH to take some holidays at some point, if we haven't conceived within 6 months or so, to try and make sure we catch the right window of opportunity (how unromantic does that sound! lol). I'm probably over stressing because of my age, I've never wanted kids before now, and now I'm panicking that I've left it too late. sigh!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone else TTC with a FIFO partner?

I don't really have some advice but just want to let you know that I was in a similar situation not long ago.... We already have DS but really wanted to have around a 2/3 year gap.... DH was working locally for a while and then it looked like he was getting back into FIFO on a 4/1 roster. I immediately went and had my merina removed (4/1 would mean he would be home at the right time only 3 times a year!!!!) and started googling about getting sperm frozen and insemination....

Thankfully fell pregnant quickly and I was about 8 weeks when he flew out for his first swing...

I guess I just wanted to let know know that I understand how your feeling! Once you decide it's time for a baby you want it now! And FIFO just complicates things!

I'm don't know where he is based but is it possible for you to fly to him occasionally at the right time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DewDanni, it's good to hear it worked out for you, yes 4/1 would have made it very hard!

Unfortunately he's not on a site where partners are allowed to visit

At the moment I'm actually not 100% sure when I ovulate because I've only been off the pill for 2 months, so I'm not sure exactly how long my cycle will be and whether it will be regular. Hopefully (if I'm not pregnant now from this cycle - probably wishful thinking after a few months I might be a bit more aware of when the right time will be! Then maybe he'll need to use some holidays to come home a little more often..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My husband was working FIFO when we started TTC our first. It was frustrating as he would often be away for the right time of the month. I used fertility friend to track my cycles, did temping and used OPKs so I knew exactly what was going on with my cycle.
    For us, we tried for over a year but ended up needing IVF to conceive which got us our DS1.

Best of luck to you. Give it 6 months and see how you go and then maybe get him to take holidays if you think that will give you some extra chances x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I've been using an online app to track so far, I haven't heard on fertility friend, I'll look it up!

He was talking tonight about trying to move to an 8 day on 6 day off roster...fingers crossed he will be able to do that, I think that would give us a much better chance, with the added bonus of him being home more regardless! 2/1 is starting to get a little hard for both of us emotionally

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDweller View Post
    Thank you, I've been using an online app to track so far, I haven't heard on fertility friend, I'll look it up!

He was talking tonight about trying to move to an 8 day on 6 day off roster...fingers crossed he will be able to do that, I think that would give us a much better chance, with the added bonus of him being home more regardless! 2/1 is starting to get a little hard for both of us emotionally
    The app worked perfectly for us. It took us 2 years, but I believe it took a long time for me birth control to work it's way out of my system. When I noticed my cycle was back to normal, we conceived the next month. The app was a great way for me to track ovulation as I didn't have much luck using the maybe baby and ovulation tests. Exciting times, good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks I tried using the ov tests last month and had no luck either, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, or whether I was missing it somehow or whether I didn't ovulate. I could get a light test line but not one as dark at the control line at all.

I was quite sure I felt ov happen though and AF came exactly 2 weeks after I thought it had happened, so maybe I won't bother with the tests either, they kind of stressed me out! I've only ever been off BCP once before, several years ago and it took 6 months for AF to come back at all. This time it only took 6 weeks....maybe the acupuncture and Chinese herb program I have been on helped