Closed Thread
Page 85 of 94 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsathoughts View Post
    Hwaterhouse- how long are you waiting between feeds? Abigail is about 1.5 - 2 hours. What makes your feeds structured? I think I might need to call the nurse because, like you said, Abigail is missing out on lots of developmental rest.
    I am now feeding 3 hourly from the start of the last feed or waiting 4 hours if Ellie is asleep. Before I was doing a sleep feed settle cycle that would stretch for hours. Once last week I only fit in 3 feeds. Now if she doesn't sleep I just do a full feed again at the 3 hour mark. This might be after doing comfort feeds etc. A full feed takes me around 75 mins. The nurse thought if the feeds were more frequent the sleep would follow. She does sometimes settle quickly, and she usually sleeps well at night.

Thanks for the tips Bedlover. The nurse also said out of bed for an hour then back to bed. Just seems near impossible when I feed 30 mins a side, have nappy changes and then at least 20 mins settling. Might be something to aim for though Will keep in mind the REM thing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hwaterhouse For This Useful Post:

Team panda  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have Annabel's bassinet in the lounge during the day which is light and I don't worry about keeping noise down (apart from very loud and sudden noises).

During the day she's fallen into a 1.5 hour cycle - feed, change, play (sometimes a top up), then goes back to sleep for about 1.5 hours. She's been having a witching "hour" from about 7:30 - 9:30pm where she's really fussy and only cat naps for about 15-20 mins.

After about 8:30-9pm we move the bassinet to our room just down the hall and leave the door open so a small amount of ambient noise filters through. We have had an audio book on at night, but phasing that out.

In the evening I will feed/rock/cuddle until she's in a deep sleep, but I've started putting her down sooner during the day to begin gradually encouraging her to self settle - she is asleep but only just. At night we generally get a solid 3-4 hour block of sleep, up for around an hour for a feed and change, then a couple of 2 hour blocks with a feed and change in between. The timing of the whole evening can vary greatly at the moment, but at least the pattern is fairly consistent - for now!

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arlais For This Useful Post:

Team panda  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips bedlover. Think I new to try and promote a bit more sleep with sleep.

Arlais it makes sense trying to promote self settling during the day by putting them to bed when they're only just asleep.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsathoughts For This Useful Post:

Team panda  (13-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hwaterhouse - I got really mad when the nurse said this to me as I had no idea what the difference was, BUT...
    Is she active sucking for the full 30 mins per side or comfort sucking? Sometimes bub will drink for a while and then doze and use your nipple like a dummy while napping.

Maybe try keeping bub more awake during the feed (cheek rubbing can promote sucking and less clothes or blankets keeps bub less sleepy) and try doing 20 mins per side to see if it makes any difference, maybe??

It is so tough xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz...... nope. No signs. Not even a little. 40+1 today. Hoping cervix is favourable for a S&S with my ob in a couple of hours.

Severe SPD pain means I haven't slept more than a few hours at a time in months, normally I wake every half hour to an hour so I am an absolute wreck now. If one more person says to me that it's getting me used to having a baby then I am going to punch them in the face.

Jay - you look amazing in those photos! Pregnancy suits you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bedlover. The nurse told me not to focus on time but what the baby is doing. So basically I am waiting for when the long drawing sucks are less frequent and there are more quick sucks which is an indication the breast is nearly drained. I am then only to offer the second breast as 'dessert' and take her off as soon as she starts mucking around. The first day I only fed for around 35-40 mins all up but she's back to actively sucking the whole time (I do have to tap her chin etc a few times) and I cut it off at 30 mins as I know that should be plenty of time. I have previously limited it to 20 mins a side but she never seemed satisfied. I'm following the nurses recommendations until I see her again tomorrow and then will reassess how it's going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hwaterhouse - have you tried doing nappy change in between boobs it's what we were told to do also to start with rubbing our nipple down the tip of bubs nose to make them open wider which help not only get a bigger latch on but helps wake them up to it being feed time. She said even if nappy is dirty before do one boob before change then down after second boob without fussing about (no nappy or clothes changes as these will wake bub).

Also if struggling to settle my Neice found if bub could smell her milk it made it harder so have fresh breast pads ready at end of feed or have partner try settling once feed is done if possible or not settling for you.

PS realise I haven't done this yet so can only go by her suggestion and know not every boob or babe will fit with the rule!
    Last edited by Jay11; 13-05-2014 at 08:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tks nirok it's strange how I actually feel better pregnant and haven't had any of the acne outbreaks etc that I normally get so loving not having to cover spots before I walk out the door - it's not to do with makeup either as I've never been one for makeup. Even my chronic knee & shoulder pains have been manageable and my Physio said even he's surprised how well I'm doing! thinking it's the progesterone helping my muscles relax!
    Thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant and still can't believe I have been so lucky to experience it & enjoy it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tks nirok it's strange how I actually feel better pregnant and haven't had any of the acne outbreaks etc that I normally get so loving not having to cover spots before I walk out the door - it's not to do with makeup either as I've never been one for makeup. Even my chronic knee & shoulder pains have been manageable and my Physio said even he's surprised how well I'm doing! thinking it's the progesterone helping my muscles relax!
    Thoroughly enjoyed being pregnant and still can't believe I have been so lucky to experience it & enjoy it.

Congrats on getting to your due date think that's amazing. Hope things start to move along for you now as sounds like your ready and your S&S gives the kick start your after. Just a quick question has your milk started to come in yet now you've made to 40wk mark?
    Last edited by Jay11; 13-05-2014 at 08:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Jay. Yes we do the nappy change mid feed. I used to do it between boobs now I'm to do it on the first boob if Ellie seems a little sleepy to make sure I use the whole breast. I then wrap her between boobs which wakes her a little and if she drifts off on the second boob I can put her straight down. It's just trial and error to see what works as all bubs are different. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer suggestions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hwaterhouse For This Useful Post:

Jay11  (13-05-2014)