Closed Thread
Page 74 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABH View Post
    A question for the new mums. Was there anything you wish you had whilst in hospital? Or made DH go out and get for you. Just finishing off packing my hospital bag for my c section on Thursday.
    I would def pack Lansinoh cream. Also a dressing gown or something warm. My hospital provided everything else I needed!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

ABH  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so disappointed in myself tonight. I resorted to giving Lexi a formula feed. She has been feeding for up to an hour and a half and still not satisfied then wakes after 20-30 minutes. I know it's normal cluster feeding but my nipples are just so sore. I can't even wear a bra or light top so I have been walking around all day topless. I dread her waking because I'm so scared of the pain. Dh almost cries seeing me in so much pain. I have full let down where the other breast leaks and she is latching prefectly but still has that funny jerking motion in her jaw which I'm wondering if it's affecting her ability to suck properly. It's not a smooth/fluid motion.

She gulped down a full 50ml in less than two minutes. I'm off to get a pump tomorrow and book in for another visit with the lactation consultant. I just need to get them to heal so I can try again but I worry if I stop she won't start again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Ngaiz! You poor thing, that sounds so uncomfortable! Don't beat yourself up about it, she has a full tummy and that is all that matters. Maybe she just needed a top up and then things will get back on track and give you some down time to recover.

Stressing doesn't help your supply so be content with the choice you have made and concentrate on the future. Seeing the LC again sounds like a great plan.

Oh, and get some rest now that she has a full belly and is hopefully sleeping soundly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlover View Post
    JB how does that work? You sleep like that too? With feet down?
    What is the medical rationale behind that?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just really interested!!
    Well I'm in a hospital bed that has a remote so has all different configurations! Feet are elevated, basically the trendelenburg position although not so strict, but I'm not like that 24/7. I sit up to eat, if I have visitors and obviously get up to shower and go to the toilet. I do sleep in the same position but to be completely honest I am so used to it now I quite often have to check that I'm actually reclined!

The rational behind it is that it takes the pressure and weight of my uterus off the cervix. I am on nefidepine to relax the uterus and potentially try and stop any contractions from occurring, also on progesterone and clexane as I'm not moving much.

The girl who was in the bed before me got pregnant through Ivf with the same FS as me, she has the same OB as me and basically we have had the same treatment regime and she got to go home at 34wks and is now 37wks waiting to go into labour naturally! So I don't question what my OB tells me to do as he did an amazing job with her. *fingers crossed* we also end up with as best result as possible like she did (although I've got 2 bubbas pushing on my cervix!)

There's basically no proof bed rest works and some OBs wouldn't prescribe it. If I wasn't having twins I wouldn't even know about what was going on as my 20wk scan all was perfect but cause there's 2 we get more scans and it was picked up at 24wks5days so I am lucky it got picked up and now whatever will be will be as there's no more I could be doing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz I agree with Bedlover you have to give yourself a break and realise you have actually done the harder but wiser option as now she has been topped up and you can both hopefully rest. Tomorrow is a new day and there may be more days were the formula is used ... Just remember ... it's not the worse thing you could do really if anything it sounds like it was the best thing you could do for her. Even if you top up with formula regularly and bottle express feed when you can I know it's not what you want but it might be what you both need right now or may be the way it has to be

- everyone is different, we are conceived & developed in our own way & time. The way we sleep - dream- think -play - grow - love and laugh different to others even the way we eat - & that's what makes us special! .... not how our mum fed us when we were young !
    Hang in there your doing a wonderful job! Hugs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz I went through the same thing. I did a whole night of formula because the pain was incredible. I was crying out and sobbing and poor Ellie was just sucking away watching me in agony. In the last day or so the pain has eased. I've used Lansinoh but also used pads which helped avoid the constant irritation from clothing. Ellie has a tongue tie which is being snipped tomorrow and I hope will improve things further.

The good thing about damaged nipples is that they don't take long to heal if you give them a rest and then you can get back to it. Hopefully your lactation consultant gives you some good options. I know my midwife recommended limiting feed time with formula top ups, nipple shields and positioning. All the best - what you are going through is really awful. I hope it passes soon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hwaterhouse For This Useful Post:

Orchids  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone using or did Epi- No training for birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ngaiz please don't be disappointed in yourself! Lexi has a full belly and that's what matters most. If you're stressed and dreading feeding time because of the pain then the best thing you can do for both you and bub is to give yourself a break.

Before we started combined feeding DH would look at me so apologetically handing bub over for a feeding. Now feeds are relaxed because either of us can do it, and I enjoy breastfeeding. If my nipples are feeling sore then she just has more bottle - no guilt, no pressure, she's getting the best of both worlds! It took me a little while to get to this good place though, so don't be too hard on yourself hun xo

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    ABH - the only thing I didn't have was nipple cream and they won't have any for you so you have to buy it from the pharmacy. Lansinoh is the best! Also breast pads in case of leakage. Nappies and wipes are all provided.

Riss yes I was at St Vincent's for 5 nights. The staff were so supportive and helpful. The food was really nice and I'm quite fussy. The first night I was there I was in one of the smaller older rooms. The next day I asked the nurse/midwife if I could move into a bigger room as I have a huge family.. I was moved and the room was great! 2 big windows all new and modern it actually felt like I was staying in a hotel. A couple times they took Mia to the nursery to give me am hours sleep.. I was really really happy!

Ngaiz please don't feel disappointed.. You did what you needed to do. I've given Mia formula twice when we had no other option. She wouldn't latch on, was hysterical and then when my nipples were killing me. You just do what you have to to satisfy your Bubs.. That's the best thing you can do. We hired the medela symphony from the local chemist and I'm so glad we did as I've already used it heaps in 2 days. gives your nipples a break.. Make sure you put it on a low setting and put Lansinoh on before and after expressing. I've got the lactation nurse coming Wednesday and they were some tips she gave me over the phone today..

Breastfeeding by far has been the hardest part.. But we'll get there ladies!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJTiger For This Useful Post:

ABH  (07-05-2014),Orchids  (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ABH - what a good question, you never know what might slip our of our heads to pop in the bag! Good luck with the c section, must seem so surreal atm!

Jay - sounds like you had a great baby shower! You look great and the cake looks too cute to eat!

Ngaiz welcome home you poor thing. Honestly I like the way Arlais has put it. If you need to top up with formula don't beat yourself up about it. Hugs for you.

Ladies I can't medically bf but I still feel so guilty that iam unable to ESP the colostrum. But in saying this I have my two children who have had formula have thrived and continue to thrive academically, sports wise and not necessarily have a low immunity. Bf is sooo hard, I have seen my sister, niece and cousins struggle but in time it does get better. I feel for all you girls having a tough time. You girls are amazing and through tears and pain persevering!

so sorry i am Mia, I have been crazy busy everyday setting up, shopping and org temp home. Now I have to worry about freezing food for dd/ds. So iam off the rank tue week at 39. It cld have been today but cause bubs is going good and bp under control OB reckon stretching it out to 39, bubs is now about 3.2 kg. iam now beginning to have lots is pulling in my inner thighs, must be all the waddling iam doing in malls! I will be getting clexane though for terrible varicose veins and hopefully don't need that terrible dvt machine!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ann17 For This Useful Post:

ABH  (07-05-2014)