Closed Thread
Page 72 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hwaterhouse View Post
    For those breastfeeding or those who have breastfed earlier children how long was it until it was no longer painful or sore (if it ever was for you)?
    I found it hard to bond with Abigail at first because of the pain and constant nature if breastfeeding. I feel your pain.

Little Abi is 16 days old and I'd say around 2 weeks I realised bf wasn't hurting as much. Within that time I had a blocked duct so had a bit if pain with that. Now it still hurts when she latches but it goes away.
    I'm wondering if the pain when latching ever goes away?

I had many breakdowns because of bf. The hormones don't help. Just the other night I was crying because Abi went back to 1.5 hour gaps between feeds...day and night. Last night We got a 4 hour block and I feel like a new person! What an emotional ride. But it's lovely to look down and see those cheeks getting chubbier. Although part of me is sad about how quickly the changes have started to happen. She's not going to be little for ever

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lotsathoughts For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (04-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hwaterhouse Ellie is gorgeous.. I can understand how you are feeling. BF'ing is so hard! Sometimes I have thought it would be so much easier to just get formula but in the long run our persistence will pay off.. (Well that's what everyone is telling me) My right side is a lot more painful so I'm expressing on that side at the moment cause it's agony otherwise!

Ngaiz oh dear I'm so confused!! I thought expressing instead of breastfeeding was the same thing?? I'm not expressing the Breast I feed her with just the other one....

I've got Lansinoh to rub in after a feed which helps and sending DH to the chemist to get the hydrogel discs (I think that's what they are called) that stay in the fridge and are soothing after a feed..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JJTiger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    All the information I've been given is so conflicting. Pump, don't pump etc. It's quite confusing at times and I've gotten quite upset and emotional about it as every midwife had a different idea of what to do. It's going to take some time to find what works for me. What worked last night might not work tomorrow.

Another tip I was given last night which helped latching (which no one else told me) was reverse pressure. Apply pressure to the areola and get rid of some of the surrounding milk so it's soft and easier for for bub to attach. This made a huge difference to the struggle I was having. It was taking so long that Lexi would get all worked up and didn't want a bar of it. Which made me feel crap.

I think I was pumping TOO much and I just over simulated the production. I was so hard and sore I was having difficulty breathing and couldn't put my arms down as I was full right into the armpits. I feel so much better today after not pumping for over 24 hours.

And Lansinoh is my BFF right now. I find it works better than just breast milk and air drying.

This is the hardest part by far.

I'm sitting in the hospital reception waiting for dh to get the car. I can't believe I'm taking my little miracle home today five years (to the month) after we first started ttc.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (04-05-2014),JJTiger  (05-05-2014),lotsathoughts  (04-05-2014),Octoberbaby2010  (04-05-2014),Orchids  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience BF does get easier as time goes on. Everything is a bit haywire right now as your supply is all over the show and bub is still learning what to do.

For me with DS, it was probably a month for things to settle down. I fed him for a year and don't remember it hurting at all once things got sorted. It actually became a really enjoyable time for me and I had a massive emotional breakdown over stopping BF!!

There is no one right answer on everything baby as what works for one person might not work for another. I suggest in you take the advise from a midwife you trust and go with that - they know your personal situation and are offering tailored advise. If it works, great! If not, ask a different midwife, LC, GP or your Early Childhood Centre and keep trying til you find what works and you are comfortable with.

So if you can, hang in there. And if you can't, do what is right for you and your baby, whether that is expressing, mixed feeds, formula, donated breast milk, whatever. Main thing is a happy mummy. If mummy isn't happy, the whole thing falls apart. So do what makes mummy happy!!

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bedlover For This Useful Post:

Arlais  (04-05-2014),hwaterhouse  (04-05-2014),lotsathoughts  (04-05-2014),Ngaiz  (04-05-2014),Orchids  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With DS it definitely took two weeks if not longer before breastfeeding was well established and the pain had gone from my nipples. With this little one it was established in days as I knew what I was doing and had no latching issues either. There can be some pain even when breastfeeding is well established when babies latch on and you get the let down of milk but it is only for a second and doesn't happen for everyone. I agree that if you find a lactation consultant that you trust take their advice and only their advice about what to do as it will be tailored advice to your circumstances.
    For those initial feeds when your baby is learning to feed and breathe at the same time I found it helped to hold baby's head with one arm and squeeze your breast with the other so it was flatter and not blocking baby's nose. One of the midwives called this 'making it into a burger' and that actually makes sense when you think of the shape I am trying to describe!
    Lots of Lansinoh definitely helps in between feeding. Air exposure and another tip from nurses at the hospital was to soak newborn disposable nappies with water and pop them in the freezer. Instant cold relief if you are engorged!
    If you are not needing to express for top up feeds or because of excruciating nipple pain I would advise against it until feeding is established as your baby's demand creates the supply needed and no more so will help assist preventing engorgement.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleMissMagic For This Useful Post:

hwaterhouse  (04-05-2014),Ngaiz  (04-05-2014),Orchids  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jeannie1 View Post
    Well everyone I would like to introduce our little BOY born at 2.07am this morning, Ryan Alex 3.4kg, 50.5cm long natural birth started with my waters breaking at home at approx 6.30 last night.

Attachment 53805
    Wow Jeannie - sounds like a great birth story to me although I hope my waters go at the hospital (so I don't have to worry about cleaning up or leaking in the car)!
    Welcome Ryan!!!! Just in time for Mother's Day too grins!

Quote Originally Posted by BerraBrooder View Post
    Jay11- ill try the stretching. Have noticed less joint pain if a take more regular breaks and just stand up etc. thanks
    how's it all going are the stretches helping?

Ngaiz welcome home YaY!!!!

Hwaterhouse it's sounds like you just need a good rest at this stage if you can express so someone else can feed and settle bub and you go back to bed I think it will help. They say the more tired & stressed we let ourselves get the harder we can make it to get through a feed & settle bub!
    Sounds like you are doing well otherwise so I think you deserve a feed or two off even if it's like one express feed then two bf followed by another express then bf it will hopefully give you a lot more energy and feel more human and less like and overused milk factory

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amps View Post

Has anyone else got a rash on their face? My mother reckons some women get it from lactating. It sort of looks like prickly heat, it started on my right cheek, faded away after 4-5days and now is on my right ear, very annoying. Forgot to mention it when I saw the midwives but obviously it didn't stand out too much or they would've noticed it.
    Amps I have rash on my legs which apparently isn't pregnancy related tried the nappy rash with zinc it didn't help so OB said try low does steroid which Chemist gave me mild Dermaid which still wasn't working .... Anyway had heatpacks on my knees as they were aggravated and my rash became super aggravated .... So figured its a heat rash and tried the Curash nappy rash cream and it stops the intense itching and pain!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

Amps  (05-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baby shower yesterday on my 37wk mark ..... Absolutely fantastic started setting up at 1.30 (my neighbours had everything - decorations, food & drink, games, cake)!
    The guys took their kids to the pub bistro down the road and met with hubby and then some of them joined us after the shower for drinks and to try and make a dent in all the left over food!!!! Lots of gorgeous generous gifts which made it a very hormonally tearful day (especially when my neighbour announced she had gone with a whale theme, and another neighbour had made a picture with craft supplies for Junior that had a whale theme without knowing the baby shower theme, and two other guest gave Junior the same Whale t-shirt .... & later after the shower when I saw hubby on the ground playing with the neighbours 7month old boy and again when he was back on the floor playing with dolls with their 3.5yr old daughter later in the night! He's such a natural I can't wait to see him with his own little man)! Anyway we ended up getting to bed at 11pm!!!!

This morning we were up and ready at 10am to attend one of the neighbours boys baptism, them broke away to attend another neighbours boys 1st bday party then back to the baptism after party/get together!
    Home at 2pm and had to have a snooze .... Very tired! Especially since it was a rough night as woke at one not able to breath as .... 'TMI alert' acid reflux and flegm had caught in my throat and bub was sitting high on my lungs .... Had to hit hubby's leg over and over to wake him to help me up and all I could get out was 'up can't breathe up can't breathe!' He helped me up and I coughed and gagged over the sink for what felt like ages before I could clear my throat and breathe properly again and could tell a very sleepy hubby I was ok & he could go back to bed! He was so tired! Then at 3 my acid reflux returned and I was back up but thankfully it wasn't as bad but still woke hubby (who I must add is still suffering badly from the cold I gave him)! This morning he looked really ill so I was going to go to baptism without him but he suited up and we got through it all!
    Actually surprised we are still awake!
    Last edited by Jay11; 04-05-2014 at 21:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's some pics from my baby shower ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1399201770.495733.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1399201791.224585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1399201867.377584.jpg

My guest guessed details about junior and tried to guess his name using 12 Letters I'd provided of which his name can be made up of .... There were also the same 12 letters cut out in wood as an activity for my friends to decorate at the shower and then when I announce juniors name I can make a name plate with the decorated wood craft letters. I took a pic of the letters but one of my neighbours didn't get time to finish here so she's taken it home to complete but I'll share once I have all 12
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1399202034.584505.jpg
    Last edited by Jay11; 04-05-2014 at 21:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Looks like you had a great time at your baby shower Jay. Everyone did a great job!