+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sarah Hanson-Young:

"I don't care how many asylum seekers die coming to our shores. Their deaths don't matter, what matters is that anyone who wants to come here can. 1000 deaths is nothing."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Greens immigration spokeswoman Sarah Hanson-Young said the party's policy was more humane and had the potential to "start saving lives immediately".

She said it was based on the policies of the Fraser government in the wake of the Vietnam War in the 1970s.

"Malcolm Fraser's strong political leadership following the Vietnam War saw untold numbers of lives saved through a humanitarian program that many Australians are still proud of to this very day," Senator Hanson-Young said.

GREENS POLICY

Increasing Australia's humanitarian intake to 30,000 - within that, resettling an emergency intake of 10,000 UNHCR assessed refugees to Australia from our region to reduce the backlog.
    Giving refugees a 'regular' path to a safer life, including resettling at least 3,800 extra directly from our immediate region as recommended by the Houston Panel.
    Providing an extra $70 million per year in emergency funding to help fast track processing of refugee claims in Indonesia, providing shelter and welfare services to refugees while they are waiting for assessment and resettlement, and boosting the capacity of the UNHCR in Indonesia and Malaysia to speed up assessment and resettlement.
    Shutting down all detention camps in Nauru and PNG, with Australia to assess the claims of people who arrive by boat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Swing towards Greens and Palmer in the WA senate election. Big surprise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Swing towards Greens and Palmer in the WA senate election. Big surprise!
    Given that Abbott pitched this as a vote against carbon pricing and the mining tax, a 5.5% swing against the Libs cannot be good news for them, no matter how they try to spin it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

beebs  (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Exactly, and interesting, as I have heard from someone that apparently the majority of Australian's think Abbott is doing a great job, but this shows the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Given that Abbott pitched this as a vote against carbon pricing and the mining tax, a 5.5% swing against the Libs cannot be good news for them, no matter how they try to spin it.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Free speech hey?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app1396759496177.jpg

Eta, source the daily telegraph.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 06-04-2014 at 14:53.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    One could also that a swing of 7.5% to PUP is equally a vote to scrap the carbon tax as they have said that they will vote to repeal it. In which case, it is a further swing of 2.5% in favour of getting rid of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Pfft. Must be false then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Free speech hey?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile appAttachment 52547

Read about this this morning. Disgraceful.
    "People have the right to be bigots! Free speech! Except about politics! All hail the government!" Pfffffft.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Read about this this morning. Disgraceful.
    "People have the right to be bigots! Free speech! Except about politics! All hail the government!" Pfffffft.
    I am not a fan of this either. But I'd be interested to know from any public servants on here what the Code of Conduct actually says. It sounds like this restriction has already been in place. So who put it there and when?

ETA: I cannot find these new 'guideline'. The ABC's website attempts to link to them doesn't work. I'm skeptical to believe that Daily Telegraph and the ABC's articles until I can read what the guidelines actually say.

ETA2: I did find the Department of Human Service's guidelines. Which seems to use the same words as the ABC suggests.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...64125504,d.dGI

How old is that document? It is not dated. But it does say this:

• so harsh or extreme in your criticism of the Government, a member of parliament from another political party, or their respective policies, that they raise questions about your capacity to work professionally, efficiently or impartially as an APS employee (such comments would not have to relate to the employee’s area of work)
    Last edited by Father; 06-04-2014 at 16:27.