+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Andrew bolt being racist and generally quite offensive - http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/a...te_blacks/P40/
    What do you find offensive about that column? Would you like to charge him under 18C for having that opinion?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A classic Hanson quote-

"I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians. "-Pauline Hanson
    And

"Immigration must be halted in the short-term so that our dole queues are not added to by, in many cases, unskilled migrants not fluent in the English language. "-Pauline Hanson
    Should she be charged under 18C for those opinions too? Is that your point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    "People do have the right to be bigots." -George Brandis

There you go, actual quotes!

As you were
    Your quotes were no where near the fake ones in the picture. I do not understand what your point is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Your quotes were no where near the fake ones in the picture. I do not understand what your point is.
    You complained they were made up quotes. I have you some real ones. If you can't see the issues relating to them, I'm afraid you're beyond my help

Thanks
    Reviews
    You complained they were made up quotes. I have you some real ones. If you can't see the issues relating to them, I'm afraid you're beyond my help
    And they are in no way similar. It is a very weak argument to make up quotes and attribute them to individuals.

If you feel that those people should not have been able to say those things, then I suggest that you quickly run to the police and try to get them charged under the current 18C before its too late!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well the George Brandi's one was!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well the George Brandi's one was!
    "People do have the right to be bigots." vs "It's just a good feeling to wake up every morning and know that today you're going to make it harder for people who suffer racial abuse to seek justice".

Really??? You think they are the same?

The fake one doesn't even make sense. "every morning" and "today". Does that mean that every morning he is planning on changing a law to make it harder??? They could have put a bit more thought into the fake quote. I would recommend removing either either the words "every morning" or the word "today".

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not going to do a search now, but I do remember seeing a hubber say "I have a right to be a bigot if it's against something inhumane" (or something like that) I've obviously taken it a bit verbatim, but if we do a search I'm sure we'll find the post.

I am not backing Brandis, but I am saying that the meme doesn't necessarily represent what the people in the photos are actually saying. There is exaggeration, there is misquotes and there is twisting of actual words spoken.

Thanks
    Reviews
    "People do have the right to be bigots." vs "It's just a good feeling to wake up every morning and know that today you're going to make it harder for people who suffer racial abuse to seek justice".

Really??? You think they are the same?

The fake one doesn't even make sense. "every morning" and "today". Does that mean that every morning he is planning on changing a law to make it harder??? They could have put a bit more thought into the fake quote. I would recommend removing either either the words "every morning" or the word "today".
    Oh for goodness sake.
    Bigot- a person who is or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices ; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance
    Brandis is actively defending the apparent right of people to be bigoted and seeking to change the law to allow it. If you can't see the correlation between that and the "fake quote"- again, I can't help you.
    I honestly can't even be bothered arguing rationally with you any more Father- there's no point. It's like arguing with a record player jammed on and repeating the same words over and over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I'm not going to do a search now, but I do remember seeing a hubber say "I have a right to be a bigot if it's against something inhumane" (or something like that) I've obviously taken it a bit verbatim, but if we do a search I'm sure we'll find the post.

I am not backing Brandis, but I am saying that the meme doesn't necessarily represent what the people in the photos are actually saying. There is exaggeration, there is misquotes and there is twisting of actual words spoken.
    It's not meant to be actual quotes and yes, there is exaggeration there to illustrate the point. The meme portrays political/well known figures as everyday people- ie Pauline from Sylvania etc- I believe it's a nod to the idea that they are representative of the community- the meme maker obviously thinks they are not- that is the point iykwim. It doesn't detract, IMO, from the fact that each of them has been known to make some very questionable remarks of their own but rather seeks to emphasize that.
    Last edited by Atropos; 06-04-2014 at 06:39.