+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why would you feel guilty? If there is someone doing things unethical and bordering on human rights abuse, it would be worse not to take the kids. They are our future and there is nothing wrong with raising politically interested kids

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Apparently not.
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-2...t-cuts/5484212
    I know there will be tears in this house if PP gets axed. I won't feel so guilty about taking the kids to the March in August even either.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Why would you feel guilty? If there is someone doing things unethical and bordering on human rights abuse, it would be worse not to take the kids. They are our future and there is nothing wrong with raising politically interested kids
    Generally I'm not a fan of having children at protests/marches. We're really big on trying to let the kids make up their own minds about such topics. Whilst some/most of the issues I would argue are cut and dry, DF and I prefer to avoid where possible inflicting our beliefs on the kids. Eg, with the whole religion thingy, just as we don't inflict religion on the kids we don't inflict our atheism on the kids - they grow up in a world of ignorance about such topics until they are old enough to have some ability to digest and critically think for themselves. Obviously parents are always going to have some influence on how their children think though (I acknowledge that). (I was actually really cross that we had to have 'the talk' with DS about religion because they started religious instruction classes at school and grade 1 and he didn't have a clue what was going on and why he was sent to another class - the opt out class. Up until that point he had no idea what religion or deities were).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whilst I see what you are saying and agree that sounds like a really good way to raise kids, these government changes affect our kids massively, and so I totally think it is appropriate for them to be there! This is the difference between science and no science, help from a fully qualified person and help form a religious person with no training, I think having kids at these particular protest is ok.

My DS1 is 7 and is absolutely in love with science, he has science books he carries around and reads from them. Tells people how the universe was formed, how blood works, which dinosaurs ate which other dinosaurs. I explained very basically, that this government doesn't value science and he said he wanted to go and march and hold a sign saying he "loves science". So we did. He doesn't get most of it, and that is fine. I have never brought him to a march ever before. Because I was raised in marches by very socially aware, political parents, and it used to drive me nuts as a kid (although having said that, I am now the most politically interested person I know - so maybe it was a good thing). But yeah - I like you, feel this is different, this Government is being extreme, and as such we need to be extreme back

Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    Generally I'm not a fan of having children at protests/marches. We're really big on trying to let the kids make up their own minds about such topics. Whilst some/most of the issues I would argue are cut and dry, DF and I prefer to avoid where possible inflicting our beliefs on the kids. Eg, with the whole religion thingy, just as we don't inflict religion on the kids we don't inflict our atheism on the kids - they grow up in a world of ignorance about such topics until they are old enough to have some ability to digest and critically think for themselves. Obviously parents are always going to have some influence on how their children think though (I acknowledge that). (I was actually really cross that we had to have 'the talk' with DS about religion because they started religious instruction classes at school and grade 1 and he didn't have a clue what was going on and why he was sent to another class - the opt out class. Up until that point he had no idea what religion or deities were).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (15-07-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well Tony Abbott isn't the new PM anymore, but I am getting a kick out of bumping this thread
    Last edited by BigRedV; 01-02-2015 at 18:03.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well Tony Abbott isn't the new PM anymore, but I am getting a kick out of bumping this thread
    Did you read this article? I thought it was quite interesting

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...om-nnn-ebaby-o

10. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (01-02-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Awesome Queen of Amazingtown View Post
    Did you read this article? I thought it was quite interesting

http://m.smh.com.au/federal-politics...om-nnn-ebaby-o
    Yeh, I saw it on facebook.

The thing is that he's never really been that popular. Even if Bill Shorten is our next elected PM, I think it could be one term as well as I don't think the voters really approve of him either, they just dislike Abbott more.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (01-02-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Neither of the majors are winning elections, it's just that the side in Government keeps losing for being absolute @ss clowns!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Neither of the majors are winning elections, it's just that the side in Government keeps losing for being absolute @ss clowns!
    Yes! But as per the article above. Tony Abbott was a vicious opposition leader banging on about being transparent, no surprises etc but he's been full of them.

The one thing in Bill Shorten's favour is he is a mich quieter opposition leader. Still, I would love to see Albo as leader.