+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gestational Diabetes (1 hour) test - timings etc

Can someone help me with timings for the GD test? I'm meant to get it on Monday & I also have an Ob appointment so I was hoping I could go in & get the drink first, then go & see the ob then come back for the blood test.

Does the blood test need to be EXACTLY one hour later?

Also, what is the process for getting the drink? Can I just turn up, drink it & then go to my ob appointment, or will I need to wait around beforehand/complete paperwork etc?

I've been had no luck getting hold of the midwives to ask these questions (left three messages in the last two days & no-one has bothered to call back) so I thought I'd ask here.

Cause I'm going on public transport I obviously need to work out bus times etc & want to make sure I allow enough time to have the drink before I see the Ob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine has always been turn up, have a blood sample taken and then have the drink. Our pathology group won't let us leave between samples.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Mine has always been turn up, have a blood sample taken and then have the drink. Our pathology group won't let us leave between samples.
    This was similar for me. They told me to bring a book or something as I was expected to sit there for the duration

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by michellek View Post
    This was similar for me. They told me to bring a book or something as I was expected to sit there for the duration

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Worst bit is my ob makes all his ladies have the 2 hour test!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a pathology collector. The company I work for won't let patients leave once they've had the drink. All path companies are slightly different though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had the 2 hour test twice, they wouldn't let me leave the waiting room. Had bloods taken, was given 5 minutes to drink glucose stuff then bloods taken exactly 1 hour and 2 hours after that. Sooo boring, take a book or magazine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bundun3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh that's annoying if I can't leave! Sounds like I'll have to get in touch with the midwives & find out (I'm having it done at the hospital & seeing the ob there too, so I was hoping I could just duck upstairs for the appointment).

I guess I'll allow enough time to have the drink & bloods before the ob then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ob arranged it so I could go and get the drink, go to my ob appt and then go back there afterwards. I remember drinking my drink during the appointment so I made sure I had enough time to get back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a Pathology collector also and we no longer do the one hour test as the latest research has shown that it's not accurate enough and gestational diabetes could be missed. We do the two hour test on everyone unless the doctor specifically asks for something different. So...a fasting blood test, then 75g glucose drink straight after (tastes like flat lemonade). 2nd bloods at 1 hr, 3rd bloods at 2hrs then you're a free woman.

We never let patients leave as walking will burn off the glucose drink, altering the results. Also, it's not all that rare for patients (specially pregnant patients) to have a reaction of either feeling **extremely** sleepy or they start throwing up. Quite a few end up lying down. So we need to keep an eye on you and record any symptoms....except boredom

If you're a first time mum-to-be just think....you may never EVER have the luxury of feeling bored for the rest of your life! 2nd/3rd time mums who are smart enough/lucky enough to have organised a babysitter for the duration of the test usually can't stop smiling for the whole 2 hours from the very rare luxury of having a whole 2 hours to sit and do absolutely nothing but read some magazines or stare at the wall

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ladydee For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (04-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Im pretty sure im getting the 1hr test but I will confirm if I can ever get hold of the midwife!

Hope its not a 2hr test as I dont think id have time to get that done before the ob appointment so it will make me even later for work

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app