+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Antenatal expressing of colostrum - how much?

Hi,

Ive just started to stockpile expressed colostrum for B2s impending arrival. I'm 100% clued up on the technique and storage, but I was just wondering if anyone knew how much per feed bub will need? I want a new syringe per feed to limit contamination and can easily express 2-3ml at a time (the size of my syringes), will this be enough?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to syringe feed bub a few times in the first 2-3 days and my midwife told me that she would consider 2mL a full feed for the first days until your milk comes in. But I'd imagine that some babies will want more and some less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    I had to syringe feed bub a few times in the first 2-3 days and my midwife told me that she would consider 2mL a full feed for the first days until your milk comes in. But I'd imagine that some babies will want more and some less.
    This. My DD had 1-2mls only per feed as she was in NICU. Until then established breastfeeding on day 3 or 4.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. 2ml is easy and allows for some space to expand in the freezer so ill keep it that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I also did this.

When DS 1 was born I didn't, but I did have to hand express for him due to pain breastfeeding. I could get 2-4mls per feed for him and midwives said that was enough.

When I did pre natal expressing for DS2 I was getting 5ml a time easily after I got the hang of expressing. I ended up with about 250ml in my freezer and it's still there. Haha!

But yes I agree, about 2-5ml depending on baby.

Keep in mind that if this is your 2nd bub, you may find that your milk comes in sooner and you may be completely engorged. That's what happened to me, far worse than with DS1! I was in absolute agony for about 3 days as it just wouldn't settle until I expressed it all out finally.

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

cakeish  (04-04-2014)