+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Shift work tips please!

Hi all

Next week I have a panel interview for a job which involves a 24/7 rotating roster and I've been told that they will ask how I plan to manage/cope with working the shift roster.

The shifts are 12 hours 6am - 6pm and 6pm - 6 am 4 on and 4 off. I've never worked shifts before.

I would love to hear from any shift working hubbers on how you cope and manage it (around family etc) and if you have any tips to offer me please. I would especially love to hear from nurses, police or paramedics as these are close to the industry I'll be working in.

Thank you in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am on that exact rotation, and in the emergency services industry.

They'll ask how you plan on coping with the shifts, what strategies you will use etc. I think it is good to be honest, start with acknowledging that it will be an adjustment that you're willing to take. Nothing annoys us more at work, than people who belittle how hard it is to work 12 hours, 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off, but it always amuses us when they crash and burn because they weren't prepared.

See it as 3 days off, not 4. Because the first day you will be sleeping and recovering from that last night shift.

Have a plan for how you will turn your body clock around in between the days and nights. It is a challenge at first. But it's imperative that you're not feeling fatigued at work, peoples lives are in the balance.

In my panel, they asked one or two questions about shifts, however a lot on stress. So be prepared for those questions also.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply.

It sounds like you are working in the same job

I will definitely take on board what you've said, yes the long shifts is what's concerning the most but I'm sure I (and family) will adjust.

Apparently I did very well in the initial phone interview so will just answer the same in the panel.

Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for my plan, it's hard as I don't know what to expect but I've planned that after night shift, I get home in time to get my older kids ready for school and drop them off, take toddler to daycare and home to sleep until the older kids get home around 3-4. Radio and ceiling fan on for white noise.

Either hubby or myself then pick toddler up, cook an early dinner before heading off to work, the second night shift he can cook.

School and daycare are all in the suburb we live in.

On my first day off I was thinking to only sleep 4 hours or so, so that I'm tired enough to sleep that night and then make sure I'm getting a good night sleep while off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slow cookers are a saviour! I use mine a lot! The other thing to consider is meals. Since you will be sleeping during the day, will you treat night shift like a day?
    It definitely plays around with your metabolism!!

As for how you plan on working around the kids, it's almost identical to how we do it here. The only pain is everyone wants to book appointments on your 4 on!!

Have you ever worked a role like this before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they want to hear how you will handle it is advise them that you have installed black out blinds in the bedrooms, organized suitable child are to allow for sleep whilst on nights, discussed it with your partner etc- giving them examples of your commitment and realistic preparation will go a long way good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mandlsmum View Post
    Slow cookers are a saviour! I use mine a lot! The other thing to consider is meals. Since you will be sleeping during the day, will you treat night shift like a day?
    It definitely plays around with your metabolism!!

As for how you plan on working around the kids, it's almost identical to how we do it here. The only pain is everyone wants to book appointments on your 4 on!!

Have you ever worked a role like this before?

Yes I had planned to throw Ingredients for say spag Bol in the slow cooker, then dh only has to boil the pasta. Maybe cook a double batch of something while on days off to reheat during the week etc...

I would take say a lunch and dinner to work with me, is that what you do?

I've worked in customer service but not in emergency services before, I'm excited to be able to use my skills while doing something meaningful for the community

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fashionvictim View Post
    If they want to hear how you will handle it is advise them that you have installed black out blinds in the bedrooms, organized suitable child are to allow for sleep whilst on nights, discussed it with your partner etc- giving them examples of your commitment and realistic preparation will go a long way good luck!
    These are great tips, thank you!