+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-section at Maitland Hospital

Hi, DS was born via emergency C-section at Maitland Hospital & I was less then impressed with how it all went down. We're pregnant with #2 & although I plan on having a VBAC I want to be better prepared for a C-section this time. With DS I wasn't able to hold him as my arms were strapped down & they took him away after a few minutes, I didn't see him again for 2 or 3 hours when they finally brought him to me in the recovery room after me yelling at them for my baby. I do have the option of going to The John Hunter Hospital this time but would really rather not as I'm only a few minutes from Maitland Hospital. Anyway I would love to here from other people's experiences with C-sections at Maitland Hospital & if they were happy with how it went or not? Are you able to actually request that baby stay with you at all times & be weighed/measured once you are out of recovery? I know this is months away but this is my biggest concern this time around. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emmaw20 View Post
    Hi, DS was born via emergency C-section at Maitland Hospital & I was less then impressed with how it all went down. We're pregnant with #2 & although I plan on having a VBAC I want to be better prepared for a C-section this time. With DS I wasn't able to hold him as my arms were strapped down & they took him away after a few minutes, I didn't see him again for 2 or 3 hours when they finally brought him to me in the recovery room after me yelling at them for my baby. I do have the option of going to The John Hunter Hospital this time but would really rather not as I'm only a few minutes from Maitland Hospital. Anyway I would love to here from other people's experiences with C-sections at Maitland Hospital & if they were happy with how it went or not? Are you able to actually request that baby stay with you at all times & be weighed/measured once you are out of recovery? I know this is months away but this is my biggest concern this time around. TIA
    Can't speak for Maitland Hospital, but I know with my hospital it's a staffing problem as the midwife needs to get back to birth suite especially if its a busy shift and the recovery nurses can't watch over bub. They might also need to take bub to the nursery for observation depending on what happened at birth.

Elective caesars they should have a specific midwife allocated to caesareans for the day so would stay in theatre with you.

Best thing to do would be to talk the hospital at your first appointment about what their policies are for emergency caesareans.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

emmaw20  (06-04-2014)