+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Not being told the location of the job I am applying for

Is it reasonable to expect to be told the location of the job I am applying for, before I apply?

Our work is making us all re-apply for our jobs. Only it won't necessarily be the exact job we are doing now. We will all apply for 'a job' & if we are successfully they will apparantly then assign us positions & locations.

I will have to go through the whole process whilst I'm already on leave & I'd rather not apply for a job if I'm going to wind up working on the other side of town when I return from leave. I don't wish to travel that far, especially if I still don't drive, so then I'll just resign after having to go through the whole stressful process unecessarily.

This just doesn't seem fair to me. We have been told we can choose to 'opt out' of the process, but how can we make an informed decisions as to whether to apply or not when they won't tell us where we'll be working?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is obviously a lot of the process we aren't privy to but is it because they don't know what job you might be successful in obtaining so they can't tell you the location?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Talk to union?

Thanks
    Reviews
    KW most employees aren't privy to much of the information either. I think they are just working out how many positions they need, will then get the staff to apply, & will then distribute their workforce from there.

maternidade most unfortuantely I didn't join the union when I had the chance (ie could afford it & wasn't about to go onto one wage). Big time regretting that now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah so it sounds like they can't tell you the location as they don't know what role you might be offered, so it's not like they're withholding info?

The whole things sounds awful and very stressful though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How annoying!!
    Could you put on your application that you require to be in the same location or that side of town/city due to such and such?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How's it going @heartstringz?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What does your original employment contract say?

E.g I used to work for a company that had a variety of branches, & while you were placed in a certain branch, the emolument contracts said you work employed in xyz position, within the metropolitan area of xyz capital city -- so if a different branch needed you down the track, you could be moved (within reason).

Have a chat to fair work, or have a look in your award, there may be some sort of maximum distance away from your original location that they're entitled to move you without your consent - ie 10 km difference, with equivalent public transport options would be a reasonable request but 50 km difference with no public transport options is not reasonable, etc.

I'd also list say the 3 most preferred locations in your job application - ie say specifically if I can't have my original location, then I want to be considered for here or here, to assist with childcare arrangements etc --- companies have to reasonably consider flexible work arrangements for people with children under school age, so you have a right to at least request & if they can accommodate then they have to.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks monkeys mum. Ill dig out my contract. I know that it said we had to be willing to work across offices, but that was when all the offices were on this side of town. Now they are merging & half the offices are a couple of hours away so that seems a little unreasonable.

We dont actually get to do an application persay, we just get 'skills matched' & 'assigned a position'. However I have told my boss that im not willing to travel that far when I return to leave so hopefully she will pass it on.

Sent from my SM-T210 using The Bub Hub mobile app