+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, it's sexist. I dont think reversing the sign is relevant (the wife gave you permission at the fishing shop). Afterall, men are not typically victim of sexist and derogatory comments. It's the same way the majority cannot define what is racist towards the minority.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to darla87 For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would avoid that shop just based on the sign! Outdated, ignorant and full of gender based assumptions.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    ... we don't need each others permission to buy something when we want to.
    That's the point - this sign implies that you do.

I'd give the shop the benefit of the doubt - I don't think they deliberately set out to be sexist but the fact remains that the sign is sexist.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's a boating place near me, which says on the window "your wife called and said it's OK!".

It annoys me, but obviously other people find it funny. To each their own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    If DH and I are going to make a purchse of a significant amount (usually any more than say $50) then we'll call and discuss it beforehand. We are saving at the moment and its just what we've always done from when he was an apprentice and I was a trainee - when we had to be frugal.

DH was out buying new motorcycle gear about 6 weeks ago and before he madr the purchase he gave me a quick call to make sure it wouldn't affect our money situation (it was for $450 worth of gear) - the shop owner made a smart a$$ comment about DH being whipped - so DH left and brought his gear elsewhere.

Honestly though, I just see this as an attempt at a bit of humour. Thats all.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (02-04-2014),kriista  (02-04-2014),smallpotatoes  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    If DH and I are going to make a purchse of a significant amount (usually any more than say $50) then we'll call and discuss it beforehand. We are saving at the moment and its just what we've always done from when he was an apprentice and I was a trainee - when we had to be frugal.

DH was out buying new motorcycle gear about 6 weeks ago and before he madr the purchase he gave me a quick call to make sure it wouldn't affect our money situation (it was for $450 worth of gear) - the shop owner made a smart a$$ comment about DH being whipped - so DH left and brought his gear elsewhere.

Honestly though, I just see this as an attempt at a bit of humour. Thats all.

Dh and I do the same thing. Anything a couple of hundred dollars worth we will call each other to discuss

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yep that's us as well Peanut. it isn't about asking 'permission', more about keeping each other in the loop and assessing if the purchase is really needed, if we can really afford it etc.

My DH laughs all the time at how he could never 'make' me do anything, that I'm too feisty to be a women that is told what to do. yep DH, damn straight

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (02-04-2014),peanutmonkey  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yep that's us as well Peanut. it isn't about asking 'permission', more about keeping each other in the loop and assessing if the purchase is really needed, if we can really afford it etc.

My DH laughs all the time at how he could never 'make' me do anything, that I'm too feisty to be a women that is told what to do. yep DH, damn straight
    People always assume DH controls me because DH has a lot of 'toys' and hobbies and I dont. But really its just that there isnt really anything I want to buy so I dont need to spend the money LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

This is us as well. Before either of us makes a purchase (other than essentials), we check with the other with a quick "do you mind if I buy....". Its not about asking permission, as you said, its about keeping each other informed and making sure its not going to have a negative impact on us money wise.

me + he = dd1 (July 2007), dd2 (July 2010), dd3 (August 2012), dd4 (due May 2014) + sil (1997)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Doesn't offend me. I see it as just a joke.