+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I would find a racist sign offensive, yes. But this wasn't racist.

I must admit I didn't think it was overly humorous either, but it didn't upset me. And no, DH doesn't control our purse strings or anything, I just don't get the big deal.
    No, it was sexist because it perpetuates myths about gender stereotypes in relationships. So it's ok to be a little bit sexist but not ok to be a little bit racist?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-04-2014),MilkingMaid  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like I said *I* don't see the big deal. I don't see that as sexism personally.

I don't know what else to say really?

Anyway, I'm off to do the dishes, brush my hair and put on some lipstick for DH when he gets home. His newspaper and cup of tea are already waiting.

Kidding! Except for the dishes bit... I really must do those...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Missy RJ  (02-04-2014),Mummy Potato  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I would find a racist sign offensive, yes. But this wasn't racist.

I must admit I didn't think it was overly humorous either, but it didn't upset me. And no, DH doesn't control our purse strings or anything, I just don't get the big deal.
    The sign is sexist. It implies women must ask their husbands permission to do something. Sure it's meant as a joke- but in a patriarchal society where even women in our society suffer significant disadvantages based on gender, it's not funny and perpetuates harmful stereotypes. That's the big deal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not bothered about it all. I actually laughed. Its a bit of harmless fun.
    I think sometimes people read into things too much.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Sethysmum; 02-04-2014 at 13:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ah! I would certainly not spend any of MY money in that shop and I'd probably point its sexism out to the owner/manager

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just looking at it..no it doesn't offend me but once you actually start thinking about it, yes it is sexist and incredibly offensive. While a lot of people shrug it off or find it humerous (to each their own) there are still women out there who do actually have husbands who control where and what their money is spent on. While we have come a long way It's still signs like these that make it evident that that type of thinking is still out there and that some women are actually living that reality.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purple Lily For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (02-04-2014),RipperRita  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, it's sexist but I doubt that was their intention. They obviously didn't put much thought into how shoppers would react to a sign like this. Personally, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's just a poorly thought out sign.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyblu11 For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FITCHICK View Post
    This! I don't ask DHs permission to spend OUR money. I brought a dress last week that was $200+ and I thought 'DH won't be impressed" (because he won't see the value in such a lovely dress :-D )

He does the same, buys oodles of play station games & computer parts i see no value in. Meh.

I probably would have laughed & gone in.
    I'm the same with clothes and shoes in which I sometimes think "haha dh will be impressed with this purchase" and he is the same with boating and fishing stuff in which I say "you really needed another fishing rod huh" but we both work and can afford it so we don't need each others permission to buy something when we want to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably wouldn't have a second thought about it. Wouldn't have shopped there but that's purely because I've no money to

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyblu11 View Post
    Yeah, it's sexist but I doubt that was their intention. They obviously didn't put much thought into how shoppers would react to a sign like this. Personally, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. It's just a poorly thought out sign.
    Yeah I agree. I think it's obvious they didn't realise or intend on being sexist (why would they, they want people to shop there!). I think they were trying to make light of a common jibe between married couples, about spending money they aren't supposed to.

I reckon all anyone had to do in this instance is let the shop owner know it comes across as very sexist and I reckon they would have taken it down quick smart.