+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gastro advice

My 11.5 month old DD is having her first bout of gastro. I called the health line and they gave me a lot of useful info. I don't feel like she needs to go to the doctor, as the vomiting has stopped for now and she's had a BF and 50ml of gastrolyte.

My question is regarding lethargy. The nurse said be wary of lethargy, but of course she's going to be sleepy. When should I worry? She only slept in 20min stints last night (sleep 20 mins, awake for 5 mins, repeat) but she's been sleeping for over 3hrs now, with two small wakes for a quick cuddle in the middle. That makes me think she's on the mend, but maybe it means she's worse?? I've been checking her frequently, but should I just let her sleep? She seems quite weak when I hold her, but when I gave her a bath this morning she happily sat up and even grabbed for a toy.

Ahh I'm in unknown territory here, sorry for the rambling! Any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The biggest thing with gastro is to make sure that she is as hydrated as possible, as dehydration is the big worry. If ever my little ones have gastro, as long as I can get some fluids into them, even if it's little sips or a hydrolyte ice block, if they want to sleep I leave them be. I always think it's their little body trying to rest and mend itself.

That said, if your DD is super lethargic, is not drinking anything, even sips and seems non responsive (though I would say when she was relatively responsive in the bath) then she is ok to let sleep, otherwise take her to the Doctor because severe lethargy can be dehydration etc.

Hope she feels better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your quick reply! I'll wake her soon for a feed/some hydrolyte and I'll check her nappy for wee, and then put her back to bed. I know when is have gastro all I want to do is sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    That's it, all you want to do is sleep as it is very taxing on your body, especially when you're losing more than you're taking in.

It sounds as though you're doing everything perfectly, so keep doing what you're doing and hopefully your DD will have some more fluids for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again

She's BFing now so I'm very happy!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to quietlyhopeful For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (02-04-2014)