+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to eat vegatarian and still cook meat for the family

Ive decided i would like to go back to a vegetarian diet. Only thing is my DH wants to have meat and my kids eat meat. I dont expect DH to give up his meat.

How can i prepare a vegetarian diet for me and still give DH the meat he wants??

Any recipes would be good too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    It shouldn't be too hard. I grew up as the only vegetarian in a house of meat eaters.
    If you are having a pasta dish, you could just make 2 different sauces.
    If you are making a meat and 3 veg type meal, you could sub in a vegie pattie or the likes.
    Tacos you could have kidney beans or a refried beans version of the meat.
    Guess it just depends on what kind of meals you usually make? Most things are easily modified though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

loislane2010  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    It shouldn't be too hard. I grew up as the only vegetarian in a house of meat eaters.
    If you are having a pasta dish, you could just make 2 different sauces.
    If you are making a meat and 3 veg type meal, you could sub in a vegie pattie or the likes.
    Tacos you could have kidney beans or a refried beans version of the meat.
    Guess it just depends on what kind of meals you usually make? Most things are easily modified though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    This is what we do in our house. DH has a metabolic disorder which means he needs to be on a low protein diet for life. So vegan but also no soy, etc. The kids and I eat meat. I just adapt our meals to suit. In a typical week we have tacos, spaghetti, stews, roasts, curries, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirligig For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 27-04-2014 at 20:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister is veg but hubby and kids eat meat. About half the nights of the week they all have vegetarian, the other half they just cook some steak/sausages/chicken on the side or add it to pasta sauces etc. Or she'll just not eat the meat component of any meal (like eat Roast veggies but not the meat, eat the falafels but not the rissoles etc).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't eat meat or chicken but cook it for DS and DH , it's quite easy, I usually just cook the meat separately - some dinners include:

Stir fry - I cook the meat separately, take mine out then add the meat back to the wok for them

Tacos - I make fish or bean for me and beef for DH

Pasta - we eat eggplant/tomato sauce or roasted cherry tomato pasta and I just cook some prosciutto or prawns in a separate pan and add it to their serve at the end

Curries - I make the paste/sauces and cook the meat separately , I take out my serve then add the meat back in to the curry sauce

Pizza - I'll make a spinach, feta and capsicum pizza and add chicken Or meatballs to theirs

Kebabs - I cook myself falafel, then cook them lamb and add salad, cheese and tzatiki and make a wrap

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.
    Tonight im making pizza and making one with no meat. Putting bacon and chorizo on the other.
    Tomorrow i think ill make a mushroom rissotto and put chicken in theirs and have just mushroom in mine.