+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wheat and dairy free diet for 2.5 yr old

My dd has various health issues atm one of which may be serious. While we are waiting to see the paediatrician and dermatologist I took her to a naturopath who has recommended allergy testing along with a wheat and dairy free diet (diet starts after allergy tests) I'm more than happy to change our diets if it will help dd's health but I feel a bit overwhelmed as it seems wheat (gluten?) is in everything. Also cheese and yogurt are her favourite foods, so if anyone can give me any tips, recipes, recommend any books etc it would really help. Also dd goes to daycare 2 days a week where they supply all meals and I'm not sure what she eats there. Any advice? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have put dd on dairy free diet because of behavioural issues and I am thinking wheat free will be coming soon. I found just yesterday goat milk yoghurt at coles. She has had goats milk since she started on milk and loves it. There are lots of alternatives its just matter of finding them! Having said that I think wheat free is harder but there are alternatives which your naturopath could help you with. Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by my2monkeys View Post
    We have put dd on dairy free diet because of behavioural issues and I am thinking wheat free will be coming soon. I found just yesterday goat milk yoghurt at coles. She has had goats milk since she started on milk and loves it. There are lots of alternatives its just matter of finding them! Having said that I think wheat free is harder but there are alternatives which your naturopath could help you with. Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Thanks! I will look out for goats milk yogurt. Is it nicer than soy yogurt? This might sound so dumb.. But goats products are ok then? They aren't "dairy"? we haven't gone thru the specifics with the naturopath yet, we will at our next appt. breakfast will be the hardest as dd usually has fruit and yogurt or toast with peanut butter or cream cheese. I guess it's like you said.. Just a matter of finding alternatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second what PP has said. We are dairy intolerant in our family so use goats milk instead. We are fortunate enough to live on a farm so we milk our own goats but you can buy fresh and powdered forms of goat milk in the shops/online -- you just need to track it down. We make our own yoghurt and cheese, but you can buy both of these at the shops too. I can give you a simple recipe for cheese if you'd like it. The cheese is mild in flavour (doesn't have a "goaty" taste) but it doesn't melt -- so no good if you are making pizza or toasted sandwiches, for example, and want melty cheese. Having foods you need to avoid can be a pain in the neck, but I've noticed over the last 8 years, that the range of foods available to food-allergy sufferers is expanding all the time. Don't know how tasty some of it is, but there are heaps of alternatives. We also try to avoid sugar in our family and I find that REALLY hard. There are gluten-free, dairy-free products but often they aren't sugar-free. Best of luck with your journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    Thanks! I will look out for goats milk yogurt. Is it nicer than soy yogurt?
    Not sure what soy tastes like, but if its anything like the milk it needs sugar to taste ok (IMO) We only tried the goats yoghurt for the first time today and she lapped it up. It doesn't have alot of sugar in it either, so it has more of a natural yoghurt taste. Even though goats milk is milk it's not considered a dairy product as dairy products only come from cows (as far as I am aware anyway) but since we went dairy free, DD's tantys and misbehaviour have decreased significantly and thats using goats milk products. She has dairy cheese occasionally as well as ice cream, but she can tolerate small amounts every few days or so without too much trouble.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to my2monkeys For This Useful Post:

dollypops  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have a look at some Paleo recipes, a lot of those are wheat and dairy free. I have cut out all wheat from my diet (but not dairy), it is in so many things. But I have come up with alternatives for baking etc.

We got some sheep cheese over the weekend and it is great (even the kids like it).

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was also going to suggest Paleo recipes. Nom Nom Paleo and Elena's Pantry are good.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I will check out those paleo websites soon thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kbf2plus2 View Post
    I second what PP has said. We are dairy intolerant in our family so use goats milk instead. We are fortunate enough to live on a farm so we milk our own goats but you can buy fresh and powdered forms of goat milk in the shops/online -- you just need to track it down. We make our own yoghurt and cheese, but you can buy both of these at the shops too. I can give you a simple recipe for cheese if you'd like it. The cheese is mild in flavour (doesn't have a "goaty" taste) but it doesn't melt -- so no good if you are making pizza or toasted sandwiches, for example, and want melty cheese. Having foods you need to avoid can be a pain in the neck, but I've noticed over the last 8 years, that the range of foods available to food-allergy sufferers is expanding all the time. Don't know how tasty some of it is, but there are heaps of alternatives. We also try to avoid sugar in our family and I find that REALLY hard. There are gluten-free, dairy-free products but often they aren't sugar-free. Best of luck with your journey!
    Thanks! Yes I would be interested in the cheese recipe if its not too much trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dollypops View Post
    Thanks! Yes I would be interested in the cheese recipe if its not too much trouble.
    I need to have a look for the recipe again. I haven't made it in a while. Will try and get it to you by the end of the week.