+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Gosh, you couldn't pay me enough to live in an all white Australian suburb.
    I lived in western sydney for 10 years. Sometimes as a 'whitey' I felt like I was the odd one out. It was a very culturally diverse area.

I ended up moving to regional NSW (for a number of reasons) four years ago and I kind of miss the diversity! Living in a 'white' area just means I see a tonne more bogans than I used to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in outskirts of western Sydney and typically a very Caucasian area. Not well off but not low socio economic and I still have at least two police cars every three to four weeks. My neighbour adjacent to me is a drug dealer (I know this because a colleague dealt with him) , a DV offender and I'm now also questioning why there are so many young women at his house so frequently? (They appear to be 16 or over), he's well into his 40s. The other night we heard .. Ummm.. Sounds of a women's orgasm coming from his house. Weird. Creepy.
    I would like to live in a more culturally diverse area however at the risk of sounding racist, I wouldn't like to live in those areas of western syd with a LOT of organised crime, which also seems to have a high density of other cultures. If I'm racist for saying that so be it. I know I'm not and I'm accepting of other races.and cultures but not the negative aspects of some.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

LiterallyNoOne  (03-04-2014),MummaOJ  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And when I say a women's orgasm, I mean that of what I suspect to be one of those girls. Each to their own, but geez. That combined with his criminal convictions doesn't wash well with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think it's racist to avoid high crime areas @Bunny Lover

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (02-04-2014),beebs  (03-04-2014),Bunny Lover  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerKat View Post
    of course people who aren't well off can be good people! Anyone from any background can be a good person. I speak from experience here, I lived in a low socio-economic area for 3 years (DH and I bought our first home at 21 and it's all we could afford) and we had a mix of lovely young families in our street, but we also had some less than desirable types living in our street - I am not exaggerating when I say we had a police car or ambulance in our street at least 3 times a month. We had a share house 2 doors down, and a drug dealer at the end of the street, and one night they had a ginormous fight which ended up with a stabbing on our driveway!!!! That was the night DH and I decided to sell up and get out. I just didn't feel safe anymore. Unfortunately low socio economic areas can bring with it people that have serious problems, just a fact of life I'm afraid. I'm not ashamed to say that that is why we left the area.
    What you say is true, but it's also true that well off people can have just as many problems. For example, not many poor people can afford a coke habit Must've been terrible to have that happen in your drive, I don't blame you for moving away. You'd be surprised though but the amount of crime in wealthy suburbs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-04-2014)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Gosh, you couldn't pay me enough to live in an all white Australian suburb.
    Yep. My suburb is pretty white and it is boring. I am disappointed by the lack of diversity at dd's daycare. I am just looking into schools and the diversity factor will play a part in our decision about where we send her.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The suburb I live in now is boring come culture...all typical aussies and no colour lol. The kids school is great, we have immigrated Africans, Asians and Swedes and fosterd Aboriginals from far north qld. I love break up day when the parents are carers bring in cultural food...all the staff come looking for the Malaysian fried rice!! Yumm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    What you say is true, but it's also true that well off people can have just as many problems. For example, not many poor people can afford a coke habit Must've been terrible to have that happen in your drive, I don't blame you for moving away. You'd be surprised though but the amount of crime in wealthy suburbs.
    Most certainly wealthy people aren't excluded from drug habits and domestic violence etc, but it's less common. All I can say is since I have moved to a middle class suburb (and when I say middle class I don't mean white middle class, my neighbours are Greek, and we have many Indian and Asian families in the street also) I haven't seen one police car - and we've almost been here for 3 years now.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive lived in quite a few culturally diverse neighbourhoods, everyone just kept to themselves? Quiet, no trouble. I now live in a VERY white suburb and again... Everyone keeps to themselves, quiet not trouble.

The only trouble I've ever had are with Caucasian bogans.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZAK View Post
    To be honest, and I know I will probably get bashed on bubhub for this, but I can understand her thinking, even though I PERSONALLY do not agree with it. (And yes, she is racist).

What would have been the most correct thing to say is I guess, everyone around us has the same cultural background, and I really enjoy that.

It's like me....I don't like to see myself as classist or ideologuist, but I do enjoy living in areas with similar economic situations, or similar values (hence why I love where I live right now, also it's bloody beautiful!!!)
    Well said and that's how I feel too