+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Just realised OP is ff so my point was irrelevant...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Havent read all responses but great advice. My dd was your bubs age when i watched the happiest baby on the block.
    It worked for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Can I suggest while you are waiting to see if it is reflux that you take him for a walk in the pram about an hour to an hour and a half after he wakes up in the morning. The fresh air always calmed my kids as babies (even just stepping outside stopped them screaming some days) but also the motion of the pram may get him to sleep and then you can wheel the pram inside if that is possible so you can do what you like. Also try some white noise, you said you have a carrier so perhaps vacuum while he is in it to see if the noise helps him.

My DS1 was similar in that he drank all day because it soothed his reflux but it also made it worse. Does your DS have a dummy? It helped me to get a little longer between feeds and let him suck like he wanted.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD2 was the same at that age. Terrible day sleeps and lots of crying but good at night.

I tried Iberogast, recommended by a naturopath when I went in to buy infacol. I also tried to stretch her feeds out a little longer. These 2 things helped. It wasn't an immediate fix or remedy but it did improve.

I also just held her or sat next to her on the lounge or bed (when I could) while she napped so I could help get through the next sleep cycle.

I understand your frustration and how exhausting it is. I also love the saying "this too shall pass" because it will!

And yes...white noise!! My savior still at 6 months. I have a few apps on my phone for different types of white noise and soothing nursery rhymes.
    Last edited by Jenko; 02-04-2014 at 22:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenko View Post

I understand your frustration and how exhausting it is. I also love the saying "this too shall pass" because it will!
    And what if it's silent reflux and she lets her baby go on screaming in pain for months as she waits for it 'to pass'?

Sorry I don't mean to pick a fight but in my case where dd did have silent reflux it was that exact advice that made things worse and my DD even now at 2 now has a super sensitive tummy from all the damaged done when we were waiting for it to pass. What were meant to be the best months in my life turned out to be the worst and I felt like a bad mum because I 'couldn't cope with my baby crying'.

OP knows her baby best to know if he may have a medical reason for his behaviour and that should never be ignored even as a first time mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had silent reflux, she was exactly as you describe but with horrible green sludge-like poo and poor weight gain as well (she had cows milk protien intolerance & soy protien intolerance, which was managed with prescription formula). Our paediatrician was great, took my concerns seriously and said its common for reflux babies to scream all day and crash at night as eventually they just get tired enough to sleep through the discomfort.

DD was on a combination of mylanta, losec and zantac at one stage but it wasn't until we got her on prescription formula that it resolved. She grew out of the intolerances at around 1yo.

Good luck and trust your mummy instincts! Sometimes you have to push for the help you need.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (03-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck OP. I think someone else said it right that given your family history, lactose intolerance is probably the first thing i'd suspect and try eliminate before looking at what else it could be.

Reflux definitely runs in my family, and frankly i get reflux just thinking about the first 8 months of his life! haha. My little boy's silent reflux was so awful he just screamed for 8 months straight I'm pretty sure. And trust me, I tried every different formula known to man, bought sooo many different types of bottles for him, tried swaddling, white noise, cry to sleep, you name it i've tried it. He just screamed and screamed and screamed. Meds helped a little but he still screamed. AR formula helped a little, but he still screamed. Eating solids helped a little...but he still screamed. I think you get the gist.

He did outgrow the silent reflux...and it just became normal projectile reflux...and then it just stopped and only flares up when he's ill. His day naps are pretty half decent now too. But it was awful and i think any mother who had a bub with silent reflux will tell you that too haha. I think what made it worse for myself was the constant search that maybe this next solution might be the thing that works and maybe I will finally have a baby that I can put down and won't scream at me...and maybe for once I can just enjoy my baby's company.

Whether your bub has silent reflux or lactose intolerance or whatever else, i'm just sorry you're not being able to enjoy this time with him. *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you everyone!

The lactose free formula seems to be helping just a little bit. Still barely sleeping but a little more settled, he did spend about 20 minutes in his bassinet while I cleaned the kitchen - he was smiling n everything but other than that he won't be put down...
    It's exhausting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can give me some advice! My beautiful baby boy is just going on 6 weeks old and for the last two weeks or so he has been absolutely dreadful to get to sleep during the day. If he does sleep it's for 15 minutes in mine or my partners arms. He also refuses to be put in his cot, bouncer or anywhere other then your arms if he is awake! The last few days he has not slept from 8am until 10:30pm. Which is just not right. He gets unbelievably upset if you put him down (I'm a first mum and him screaming blue murder breaks my heart)

He is formula fed, I had trouble with my milk supply. I've felt guilty from the day we started giving him formula. He has been on S-26 Gold formula, but I don't think that has anything to do with it . he also drinks a lot! He has been having 120mls every 2 hours if not less. He drinks the whole amount - no vomiting, burps beautifully. He doesn't seem unsettled about being to full. I mentioned this to the nurse on our last home visit but she didn't give me much help.. Is it possibly colic? Or does he just have us wrapped around his little finger?

Please can can someone give me some advice.
    We have his doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon but I am getting quite upset with how he acts during the day.
    Please someone!
    I feel your pain hopefully he continues to improve for you

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    Thank you everyone!

The lactose free formula seems to be helping just a little bit. Still barely sleeping but a little more settled, he did spend about 20 minutes in his bassinet while I cleaned the kitchen - he was smiling n everything but other than that he won't be put down...
    It's exhausting
    I spend 90% of my time rocking DS to sleep he has silent reflux just changed to lactose free formula. Does your DS like the car?

Sent from my LG-D802T using The Bub Hub mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast