+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you! I will get straight on to it.
    I've decided to try lactose free formula for a bit. My cousins are all lactose intolerance, my father and I can't really handle it (upset stomachs) and my partner would get migraines from dairy as a child/teenager.

I was wondering about a pediatrician (if that's how it's spelt) Do I need a referral or anything like that? I don't feel everything is right with him. I'd love to carry him all the time, have him with me all the time but it's not realistic!

It makes me quite upset how upset he gets when I put him down. I don't get 5 minutes to do anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I will give it a try. Is there a minimum age though? My DS is only 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Re: swaddling. Google the 'love to dream' Swaddle, it is a Swaddle that keeps their arms up but contained.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was the same. I had wear her in the carrier to get her to get any decent sleep. Some babies are just not good sleepers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of reflux babies sleep much better at night because their systems slow down and acid production backs off. I second what PPs have said, check out the RISA website for loads of info. It sounds like silent reflux to me. My LO has the vomiting kind of reflux and CMPI. We, too, have a whole different baby now He's showing no signs of growing out of his reflux and intolerances at 9 mths old but they're well managed now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It tells you on the back what the recommended dose is, I think I tried it with my DS from 6-7 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has silent reflux & infant gaviscon didn't work for her at all.

Have a read of the RISA website & print off the visiting dr's sheet. Write down all the symptoms he is having on the sheet & take to your dr.

It's hard when no one listens to you & says its normal when you know it's not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't say he's a bad sleeper at night, he takes awhile to get down but he does stay out for hours. He's very miserable tonight after his vaccinations so it's not helping him (or mum and dads at work)
    There's so many things to try it's a bit overwhelming.
    We are going away next week to visit family so having our little one so upset during the day and early evening it's gonna be a long hard trip I think

I'm not sure if my doctor thinks my concerns are even noteworthy. She sort if laughed in my face as I explained, she said that's just how some babies are.

I've decided to put him in his bassinet tonight in my bedroom to keep a closer eye on him, as I said vaccinations have made him miserable.

I will look into trying some things people have mentioned. I really appreciate it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 7 week old dd, and same thing with us at 6 weeks, her sister as well and from what I read, it seems pretty common at this age..... Soooo I have a theory and after three days we were cruising again, though some days are a bit off.

So my theory is, at this stage they are awake longer and now struggling to get back to sleep as they are more alert and sensing your absence, and they now need to be put to sleep, even if that means being held while they sleep, just to get them over this hurdle. (I don't think they learn to be always held, I think first they learn that everything's ok, im safe). Their little digestive systems are really starting to do some work now too, so feeling a bit more unsettled and getting to sleep through that is a struggle too. This is only my thinking. I can only speak from my experience, it was worse with dd1 because, as you know, first time is all unknown, but with dd2 I can see she is just tired, and that's why she's crying, she is dog tired, but can't go to sleep. Once I got her to get a decent sleep, like an hour even, she instantly improved, and the more sleep she's been getting the more likely she continues to sleep. It's been great since I've clued to that. Of course as I said, there are off times. Like everything, there's new developments and changes, nothing stays the same for long... Mothering mantra, this too shall pass.
    If he's sleeping ok at night, I wouldn't think reflux, if it is only the day time, it could be just tired. Best of luck!! Hope he settles and it's nothing else. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    . She sort if laughed in my face as I explained, she said that's just how some babies are.
    Gaaaaaaah! It's idiots like these 'professionals' that make us mothers question ourselves and leave our poor bubbas in so much pain and potential damage to their digestive systems.

Given your family history, trying a lactose free formula is a good idea to at least take matters into your own hands. It may take up to 2 weeks for he lactose formula to exit his system.

During that time I suggest mylanta, you can just use a syringe and give him 5mls after feeds. Gavial on has to be prepared and is a pain to do.

Also try and elevate her cot or basinette mattress at the head so gravity can help keep his stomach contents down.

Also try not to feed to sleep. Allow bub to sit upright as long as possible after a feed to also help keep the stomach contents down

Good luck and PM me if you want. I've been exactly where you are now and it sucks as I felt I couldn't enjoy my baby as I should have been able to. I was so overwhelmed and sleep deprived at the lack of professional support.