+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My baby boy was like that too. Would only cat nap and screamed all day. He had silent reflux like the other poster said her child had. Basically meant he didn't actually throw up but the acid was burning him going up him and then burning him going back down. He also wanted to be held a lot and he drank a LOT of milk. Apparently the excessive drinking of milk is because it sooths them to drink the milk....but then conversely resulted in more acid being created in the stomach to break the milk down..which then goes back up them...causes pain ,they scream, want more milk to sooth it and just is a vicious cycle.

So might be worth checking bub out for it. My boy had a pretty severe case and only grew out of it at about 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you! He's got a doctors appointment this afternoon so I will mention it and see what she says about it ! It makes a lot of sense with what you are saying, fits him perfectly. What is the usual treatment for reflux?
    Bit new to this haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With reflux medications like losec can help. They might also recommend starting solids earlier if baby is interested. And the age-old "they'll eventually outgrow it". Which they generally will. Some outgrow it faster than others.
    Just watch that some gps really know very little (if at all) about silent reflux. I had to go to three doctors before finding one that diagnosed it properly.

But also worthwhile to check for other things obviously like lactose intolerance etc etc.

good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I'll make sure she at least considers it.
    I dunno if this makes any difference but when he's asleep he will cry enough to wake himself up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But if it was reflux wouldn't the Op's ds be hard to settle at night too?

I just remembered that even after sleep school my ds would only catnap during the day...30mins at the most...but at least we got him back in the cot for his day naps.instead of the months I held him in my arms.

When he dropped down to 1 nap a day be finally got to an hour, then 1.5 and now sometimes 2 hours a day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by Albert01; 02-04-2014 at 12:45.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (02-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    possibly. thats why the suggestion to check out for other things too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The doctor brushed it off as being fussy.. And that we need to continue to cuddle him. I'm not sure I'm happy with the outcome, we weren't given any advice for what we could do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rainaberdine View Post
    My baby boy was like that too. Would only cat nap and screamed all day. He had silent reflux like the other poster said her child had. Basically meant he didn't actually throw up but the acid was burning him going up him and then burning him going back down. He also wanted to be held a lot and he drank a LOT of milk. Apparently the excessive drinking of milk is because it sooths them to drink the milk....but then conversely resulted in more acid being created in the stomach to break the milk down..which then goes back up them...causes pain ,they scream, want more milk to sooth it and just is a vicious cycle.

So might be worth checking bub out for it. My boy had a pretty severe case and only grew out of it at about 8 months.
    ^ This! My DD had it too. It was caused by cows milk protein intolerance. I'd suss it out and for now ignore those that say it's just a phase that will pass (no offense to those who offer that advice but I got offered it and listened to it and DD wasn't diagnosed until nearly 5 months of pure discomfort an pain) because if it is silent reflux and you wait for things to pass, they won't and it can do severe damage to bubs digestive system.

Check out the RISA (Reflux Infants Support Association) website. There's a checklist you an use to somewhat self diagnose. You print it off and bring it to your GP.

Once DD was in meds to stop the acid production and on a soy based formula she was a different baby!

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SimmyN View Post
    The doctor brushed it off as being fussy.. And that we need to continue to cuddle him. I'm not sure I'm happy with the outcome, we weren't given any advice for what we could do...
    I just read this. definitely get on to the RISA website. My midwife, 2 GPs, 3 Australian breastfeeding association phone support people and 2 nurses at Child and Youth Health all did not pick up on it with DD. I was desperate for help and got constantly fobbed off as a first time naive mother, but I knew there was something wrong with DD and hey ho, I was right.

A PP said then why is he sleeping in at night. My DD slept in in the day but terribly at night and still had it. It's odd but still possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The first thing my gp got me to do to see if it was silent reflux was to give baby gaviscon infant. You don't need a prescription just get it from the chemist and see if it makes any difference. If it does you can tell its silent reflux if he is exactly the same then it might not be. You can always try and see of that works and go back to the gp for medication