+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by withlovesiobhan View Post
    Thank you!

I gave DD some bread cut into strips today which she really liked and liked playing with it but here I was worrying the whole time so I kept breaking it up even smaller ha ha.... I'll get better.
    I kept checking her mouth and she didn't seem to be swallowing it straight away I could see it sitting on her tongue.
    I know it's tempting to break stuff up into smaller pieces but it's actually safer to keep foods in long, finger shapes and let them gum on them - less chance of small pieces breaking off and getting stuck.

It's all a big learning curve and you're doing a great job!

I did BLW with two out of my three and some of their faves were

*Thick cut cucumber sticks with skin left on - easier for little hands to grip and they can just gum off the soft flesh. They also loved them dipped in yoghurt or other home made dips like guacamole.

*Corn on the cob - LOVED it.

*Cruskits/rice cakes with avocado or cottage cheese.

*Rice - I just used to do a sort of fried rice that was just rice with an egg through it with some peas and baby spinach.

*Thick cut roasted sweet potato, carrot and pumpkin

*Pikelets, plain or with grated apple.

*Lamb chops, strips of steak - they would gum and suck the juices.

*Pasta - any kind/shape/sauce

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (04-04-2014),PinkPrint  (04-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am loving all these suggestions! It's giving me the confidence I need too. Keep them coming!

One of the reasons I have held back a bit was at my last drs appointment (DD 6 month check up) when I asked him about solids he said just to give her little tastes of things I eat and to continue breast feeding mostly until she is 1 and thats all she needs. I thought this was a bit strange and conflicting to what the child health nurses told me and everyone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch View Post
    Omg... I'm still feeding purees... lol. Going to have to give her some more options lol
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one!! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one has just turned 8 months. He eats a combination of lumpy mashed foods via spoon and finger foods. I've listed some of the finger foods we gave tried and he likes. Most have been suggested already.
    - steamed veggies: broccolini (great built in handle!), carrot sticks, green beans (trim ends off), cauliflower florets, sweet corn cobs (he has 6 teeth)
    - cucumber sticks (skin on seems best)
    - wedge of seedless watermelon
    - grated cheese
    - egg pancake with cheese and tomato cut into strips
    - cruskits
    - pasta spirals
    - lamb cutlet (rack/rib frenched, cap fat trimmed off)
    - roasted vegetable wedges (sweet potato, parsnip).
    - finger sized strip of steak
    - toasted sandwich cut into fingers (cheese, avocado)
    - banana. I learned my lesson and banana is now fed when he's wearing old cheap clothes or nappy only - it stains like crazy!. The baby led weaning book shows how to trim leaving some skin on to make it easier to grasp.
    - peach wedges (skin off, lightly cooked)

Some of these I'm not sure that he gets to swallow much (grated cheese especially), but he has a good time trying and playing with it anyway

This is a great thread. I'm going to try some if the suggestions in it and am looking forward to reading other ideas. Thanks to the OP and people who have replied.
    Last edited by clbj; 05-04-2014 at 02:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing because I am exactly the same!

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The current recommendation in Vic is for baby led weaning to be given preference over pureeing. And that baby should be fine with absolutely everything in moderation, but no raw egg or honey. (Well, I mean yanno.. don't rush out and buy her a cheeseburger or anything! )

My greedy guts is a few days off turning 8 months, is BLWing and eats anything and everything. I think you may find once you relax about the gagging etc, that it is an easier way of feeding

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (05-04-2014),PinkPrint  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    It can be really hard to stop stressing about gaggong, but can I suggest just watching her closely next time she does? You will be amazed at how they sort it out for themselves the majority of the time.

My DS3 frequently gags but its just his way of stopping himself from choking. He'll then just spit it out. I stressed so much with DS2 but I am much more relaxed this time. And it makes feeding him so much more fun.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

PinkPrint  (08-04-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not the only one. I've only recently been brave enough to move on from puree with my 9 month old twins. But I still do both. The finger food self feeding is great but I know that the casseroles I make are packed full of everything good so I like making sure they're getting a great range of vitamins etc from this too.

Currently I give finger foods first and after a while feed the mashed food. They usually hold onto some finger food and suck on it in between spoonfuls of what I'm giving. They then finish finger foods until they're full. Works for me.

Can I just add that the mess is driving me crazy! I loved the days of tidy spoon feeding!!

Sent from my GT-S7500T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow you girls just have me so many great ideas! My bub is 7 months old and was running put of ideas.

Question for you, if i am cheating when i am cooking lol like if i use a pouch you buy in the shop for slow cooker to make beef stroganoff, can i give that to her?
    I am not sure cause of all the no salt no sugar no spice issue.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I don't give the pouch type flavourings because of salt and additives. My slow cooker casserole is just meat, a heap of veg (everything I can find to throw in) and sometimes some fruit. For example pork, veg and apple casserole or beef and veg or chicken veg and a few apricots. I only add some water and have started introducing thyme etc for different flavors that the girls can try. Nothing fancy at all, dead easy! I cook it, mash or puree it and put it in zip lock bags. A slow cooker full makes heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NAT2561 View Post
    Personally I don't give the pouch type flavourings because of salt and additives. My slow cooker casserole is just meat, a heap of veg (everything I can find to throw in) and sometimes some fruit. For example pork, veg and apple casserole or beef and veg or chicken veg and a few apricots. I only add some water and have started introducing thyme etc for different flavors that the girls can try. Nothing fancy at all, dead easy! I cook it, mash or puree it and put it in zip lock bags. A slow cooker full makes heaps.

Yeah the salt and additives is why i didnt want to give her that. What ir doing sounds perfect, i always worry if its too simple its not good

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app